Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mic care

So I recently bought a pair of Gefell 692s with M70 capsules, and I
LOVE the sound of them, but have read numerous places that they're very
"fragile." Can those in the know offer any guidence on proper care for
these and other older mics. Are there any rules of thumb about turning
phantom on/off, or plugging mics in to a "live" cable (my Gefells have
been converted for 48v phantom)? Thoughts on humidity, storage, etc?
Thanks so much.
Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JP Gerard

Never plug a mic into a live P48 lead. It's just not a good idea, even
though damage probably won't occur, it's better to power up after all the
connections have been made, if anything, to save your woofers...

Never use an M70 on anything that produces sudden blasts of air, like kick
drums with front holes, vent port of bass cabs, vocals. If you must, then
use a foam windshield and a popfilter, and keep the mic at a good distance.

Keep any smal diaph. Gefell and any other metal diaph. capsule in a dry
environment.

The modular Gefell range is really handy to have around, but yes, a little
bit fragile.

The M94 has similarities to the KK54 and both are really nice on acoustic
sources when you want presence and detail without harshness.

I prefer the M70 only because I find the M94 to be a bit too treble-rich.

Also, you might need to get the 692 switches cleaned one in a while, as well
as the thread and other contact areas.

JP

a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...
So I recently bought a pair of Gefell 692s with M70 capsules, and I
LOVE the sound of them, but have read numerous places that they're very
"fragile." Can those in the know offer any guidence on proper care for
these and other older mics. Are there any rules of thumb about turning
phantom on/off, or plugging mics in to a "live" cable (my Gefells have
been converted for 48v phantom)? Thoughts on humidity, storage, etc?
Thanks so much.
Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thank you very much for the info, JP.