Scott Gardner

Default What was the first Gold album where CD sales surpassed LP sales?

At the time, I remember hearing that it was Paul Simon's
"Graceland", but I don't know on what basis that claim was made, and I
don't know where to look for statistics on CD versus LP sales for the
last 20 years, broken down by album title.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for would be
this:

"When was the first time that an album was certified 'Gold' by the
RIAA where CD sales for that album surpassed LP sales, and what was
the album?"

If anyone knows the answer, or can point me toward the appropriate
online or offline resource, I'd appreciate it.

Scott Gardner

Marc Phillips

Scott Gardner said:

At the time, I remember hearing that it was Paul Simon's
"Graceland", but I don't know on what basis that claim was made, and I
don't know where to look for statistics on CD versus LP sales for the
last 20 years, broken down by album title.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for would be
this:

"When was the first time that an album was certified 'Gold' by the
RIAA where CD sales for that album surpassed LP sales, and what was
the album?"

If anyone knows the answer, or can point me toward the appropriate
online or offline resource, I'd appreciate it.

I can remember the same thing being said about U2's The Joshua Tree, but I
wouldn't know where to find info to confirm it.

Boon
George M. Middius

The Stainless Steel Boob Orchestra said:

I can remember the same thing being said about U2's The Joshua Tree, but I
wouldn't know where to find info to confirm it.

I remember lis'tening to it, and I recall wishing Gerg would blow in
and save me from the pretentiousness.

Yep, that record reeks with effeminance.

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 03:35:49 +0000, "Glans, I"
wrote:

(Scott Gardner) wrote:

At the time, I remember hearing that it was Paul Simon's
"Graceland", but I don't know on what basis that claim was made, and I
don't know where to look for statistics on CD versus LP sales for the
last 20 years, broken down by album title.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for would be
this:

"When was the first time that an album was certified 'Gold' by the
RIAA where CD sales for that album surpassed LP sales, and what was
the album?"

If anyone knows the answer, or can point me toward the appropriate
online or offline resource, I'd appreciate it.

Scott Gardner

According to this site Boston achieved the first gold level sales of
CD in the U.S.A. with "Third Stage", although they don't say if it
exceeded vinyl sales of the same album :

http://www.artemisrecords.com/boston...r=boston&idx=1

Thanks for the reference. Since "Third Stage" was 1986, that
certainly puts it in the running, if I can find out what the vinyl
sales were at the time it went Gold.

Scott Gardner

Arny Krueger

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message

At the time, I remember hearing that it was Paul Simon's
"Graceland", but I don't know on what basis that claim was made, and I
don't know where to look for statistics on CD versus LP sales for the
last 20 years, broken down by album title.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for would be
this:

"When was the first time that an album was certified 'Gold' by the
RIAA where CD sales for that album surpassed LP sales, and what was
the album?"

If anyone knows the answer, or can point me toward the appropriate
online or offline resource, I'd appreciate it.

One reason why this information may be hard to find is that cassettes
outsold vinyl before CDs did, and quite dramatically so:

http://www.plan9music.com/Article2.html

"In 1987, according to figures of the Recording Industry Association of
America, 102.1 million of these little discs were shipped to record stores.
.... By comparison, the recording industry shipped 107 million albums at
total revenues of $793.1 million last year. The number of cassette tapes
shipped was a whopping 410 million at revenues of almost $3 billion.

The comparison that was on everybody's mind at the time was LP versus
cassette, not LP versus CD.