Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected][_2_] gi1pi@yahoo.com[_2_] is offline

Default NAD 7100 issue

Just purchased a NAD 7100 receiver and must say its a great sounding
piece, very smooth and natural sounding but I have noticed a slight
problem with the speakers connected to "A" vs "B".

A set of speakers connected to "A" wont come on (no sound at all) when
the receiver is first turned on unless the volume control is turned up
to about ten o'clock and then all of the sudden it will kick in and
stays working fine at any level.

Speaker connection "B" works just fine so I have been using "B" for
now.

Im using 8 ohm speakers with the setting at 8 ohms in the back of the
receiver.

Is this a typical issue with these receivers?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Gil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

Check the protection relay. It may need to be replaced.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just purchased a NAD 7100 receiver and must say its a great sounding
piece, very smooth and natural sounding but I have noticed a slight
problem with the speakers connected to "A" vs "B".

A set of speakers connected to "A" wont come on (no sound at all) when
the receiver is first turned on unless the volume control is turned up
to about ten o'clock and then all of the sudden it will kick in and
stays working fine at any level.

Speaker connection "B" works just fine so I have been using "B" for
now.

Im using 8 ohm speakers with the setting at 8 ohms in the back of the
receiver.

Is this a typical issue with these receivers?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Gil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected][_2_] gi1pi@yahoo.com[_2_] is offline

Are there speaker relays as well to consider?

Thanks for the info, Gil

On Jul 7, 2:58 am, "JANA" wrote:
Check the protection relay. It may need to be replaced.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message

ups.com...
Just purchased a NAD 7100 receiver and must say its a great sounding
piece, very smooth and natural sounding but I have noticed a slight
problem with the speakers connected to "A" vs "B".

A set of speakers connected to "A" wont come on (no sound at all) when
the receiver is first turned on unless the volume control is turned up
to about ten o'clock and then all of the sudden it will kick in and
stays working fine at any level.

Speaker connection "B" works just fine so I have been using "B" for
now.

Im using 8 ohm speakers with the setting at 8 ohms in the back of the
receiver.

Is this a typical issue with these receivers?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Gil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

wrote:
Just purchased a NAD 7100 receiver and must say its a great sounding
piece, very smooth and natural sounding but I have noticed a slight
problem with the speakers connected to "A" vs "B".

A set of speakers connected to "A" wont come on (no sound at all) when
the receiver is first turned on unless the volume control is turned up
to about ten o'clock and then all of the sudden it will kick in and
stays working fine at any level.

Speaker connection "B" works just fine so I have been using "B" for
now.

Im using 8 ohm speakers with the setting at 8 ohms in the back of the
receiver.

Is this a typical issue with these receivers?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Gil

Gil,

The relays in this unit are a common problem. They do both protection
and speaker switching, one for speaker A and one for speaker B. A good
choice for replacement is the Omron G2R-24-DC24 available from Digikey
(
www.digikey.com their part number Z748-ND) or Mouser (www.mouser.com,
their part number 653-G2R-24-DC24) and I'm sure other vendors, and are
not that expensive. This Omron relay is a sealed type and less likely to
go bad again. It has 2 extra pins that you will have to cut off before
installing it. Which 2 pins are obvious when you compare it to the old
relay.

Unfortunately, getting to the relays to change them is a pain. they
are just in-board of the main power transformer and you can see them
from the top, but the connections are covered over by the plate that
mounts the main transformer. I take a lot of the unit apart so that I
can slide the main transformer mounting plate out of the way and get to
the relays. DON'T BE CHEAP - CHANGE BOTH RELAYS (E601 and E602) at the
same time so you don't have to deal with it again for many years. Of
course you could just used the speaker B connections, until that relay
starts to go bad.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

JANA wrote:
Check the protection relay. It may need to be replaced.

The relay feeds both A and B speaker switches. There is a chance that the
"A" speakers are routed through the headphone jack - I had an NAD
integrated amp that was this way. The OP could try inserting and pulling out
a set of headphones and see if this clears the problem temporarily...

Maybe a problem with the speaker switches ( the 7100's were fairly notorious
for dirty controls and switches, by the way) or solder connections
associated with the speaker terminals...

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

And I had previously wrote:

"The relay feeds both A and B speaker switches..."

I'm going to defer to Tim on this one - he works on lots more NAD's than I
do and would be the resident NAD expert in these parts.

Mark Z.

riveraudio riveraudio is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. Zacharias View Post

And I had previously wrote:

"The relay feeds both A and B speaker switches..."

I'm going to defer to Tim on this one - he works on lots more NAD's than I
do and would be the resident NAD expert in these parts.

Mark Z.
Hello,
Newbie here,
I too have a 7100 that just stopped working at all. I used to have issues with one channel, and now both on both A + B. I just got some relays. I need some solder wick before I attempt this. I am a little unsure where to unsolder. Can you guys tell me how many pins there are and if they are in any pattern, say two on each end of the relay?
Thanks
RiverAudio