Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] dan.rosenbloom@gmail.com is offline

Default Huge lot of tubes.... recommendations?

So, I was working this weekend and as a "tip" for my services, I was
allowed to cart off a few large boxes of 1950's and 60's vacuum tubes
that the previous owner had left in the attic. Now, I need a
recommendation on what to do with it...

I've started sorting through them, and it's just a huge random mess of
stuff.

A few questions... how can I test them? Is there any possible way to
sell these without testing them? Almost all of them are still in their
original boxes, from RCA, Tun-Sol, National Union, Sylvania, etc....

Is there a market for every single tube type, or am I going to be stuck
with a lot of unwanted tubes if I try to sell them individually? Is
there a good way to sell these as a lot?

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

wrote:
So, I was working this weekend and as a "tip" for my services, I was
allowed to cart off a few large boxes of 1950's and 60's vacuum tubes
that the previous owner had left in the attic. Now, I need a
recommendation on what to do with it...

I've started sorting through them, and it's just a huge random mess of
stuff.

A few questions... how can I test them? Is there any possible way to
sell these without testing them? Almost all of them are still in their
original boxes, from RCA, Tun-Sol, National Union, Sylvania, etc....

Is there a market for every single tube type, or am I going to be stuck
with a lot of unwanted tubes if I try to sell them individually? Is
there a good way to sell these as a lot?

Mpffffff... any given random vacuum tube may be worth from 30 seconds
of target practice to a reasonable fraction of an Ivy League tuition.

Go to
www.tubesandmore.com

and you will see "offered" prices for many types of tubes. That should
help you some. NOS (New Old Stock) is always better than pulls or used.

Beware of sharks, they will pick you clean before you feel the first
bite.

Testing is a vast and rapidly moving target. Where are you? That may
help as there are lots of radio clubs around the country that have the
occasional honest soul who will help you rationalize and cull your
collection.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
Mark Oppat Mark Oppat is offline

Most of all 50's-60's tubes found today are for TV sets of that era and have
very little value. Some are usable in radio, audio or RF applications and
will sell individually or in smaller lots on eBay. Then, you take the rest
of the lot and sell it as one big lot.

The key factor is what types you have and if they are really new in box or
are "pulls".

Also, where are you located? There are more customers in the urban areas
than in the rural areas... so a local sale is less likely in Utah than in
LA, for instance.

Mark Oppat

wrote in message
oups.com...
So, I was working this weekend and as a "tip" for my services, I was
allowed to cart off a few large boxes of 1950's and 60's vacuum tubes
that the previous owner had left in the attic. Now, I need a
recommendation on what to do with it...

I've started sorting through them, and it's just a huge random mess of
stuff.

A few questions... how can I test them? Is there any possible way to
sell these without testing them? Almost all of them are still in their
original boxes, from RCA, Tun-Sol, National Union, Sylvania, etc....

Is there a market for every single tube type, or am I going to be stuck
with a lot of unwanted tubes if I try to sell them individually? Is
there a good way to sell these as a lot?

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

Peter Wieck wrote:

Testing is a vast and rapidly moving target. Where are you? That may
help as there are lots of radio clubs around the country that have the
occasional honest soul who will help you rationalize and cull your
collection.

IP address: 141.151.21.206
Reverse DNS:
pool-141-151-21-206.phlapa.east.verizon.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified]
ASN: 7021
ASN Name: VRIS-7021
IP range connectivity: 1
Registrar (per ASN): ARIN
Country (per IP registrar): US [United States]
Country Currency: USD [United States Dollars]
Country IP Range: 141.150.0.0 to 141.151.255.255
Country fraud profile: Normal
City (per outside source): Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Country (per outside source): US [United States]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.arin.net
Known Proxy? No

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:

[...]

Every single box of stray tubes I have been offered have turned out to
be mostly
well used pulls, and inside new looking boxes there were old tubes,
placed there
because the new one was used 35 years ago, and the oldun was kept as an
emergency
replacement, perhaps its works a bit, but not 100%.

Most old tubes found in miscellaneous lots were not part of an audio
enthuisast't
pristine collection, but what a typical radio-TV repair person had left
over from
his work before he died; I know tech guys who have huge tube collections
but maybe I die first, so I'd never get to bid for them at a deceased
estate auction.

I have hundreds of tubes and many new-in-boxes old stock, but I've never
paid more than
$1 each for a batch because out of say 100 tubes there would be only 10
that are
usable in something I would be happy to sell to someone else, eg, when i
find
a stray 12AU7 it is often noisy although it works and may test OK, so it
has a negative value.

All the audio tubes found in any cast off batches need careful
noise/gain testing, something a tube tester doesn't do well.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

City (per outside source): Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Well, now.

If the OP is actually from this area (Philadelphia region) and not
using a local ISP, I would be glad to help out. Testers I got, various
books and such as well. The Delaware Valley Historic Radio Club would
be glad to help, or if he is from across the river, the New Jersey
Antique Radio Club will step up.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] dan.rosenbloom@gmail.com is offline

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations... I really appreciate it. I'll post
back in a few weeks when I have a full list of what I have... life is
going to be hectic for the next few weeks, then I'm going on vacation
for a week. So sometime in mid february, I'll have a list to show
anyone who's interested. I haven't counted yet, but I think it's
easily 300-600 tubes that I have... maybe more.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.

Dan

FS here before eBay... rare tube amps, NOS tubes; RCA 7591a, Amperex 6DJ8, RCA 5682, etc etc. firedome Marketplace 0 October 30th 06 07:32 PM
replacing tubes lee Vacuum Tubes 17 February 8th 06 05:21 PM
New Tung- Sol 6550? Mark S Vacuum Tubes 13 April 13th 05 03:10 PM
Your Opinion on Tube Amp Reliability??? Jeffrey Dunnam Audio Opinions 69 June 5th 04 06:13 PM
Bogen amp, 8417 tubes blow up, want my 6550 mo 100's? ddr Vacuum Tubes 0 August 10th 03 06:34 AM