Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Help: House Audio Distribution Scheme

I have questions about my home audio distribution scheme. My goal is to
provide distributed stereo to every room at moderate sound levels and
good quality. Budget is also a major concern.

Here are the system specs.

Receiver Amplifier - Onkyo TX-601 (85Watts/Channel, 2 Zone amplifier,
Z1: 6.1 Surround & Z2: 2.1)

Zone 2 on the Onkyo is wired to a Audioplex Technology JB-1
distribution hub
The JB-1 hub is wired in wall to 6 rooms (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1
kitchen)

My speakers are all 8 Ohm bookshelf types of mixed pedigree (AR, Polk,
RCA, Morden Short) and the two bathrooms are OEM Systems in wall types.

I also have Audioplex CSVC 150 Impedance Matching Volume Controls (VC)
in each room inline between the distro hub and the speakers.

The available Impedance Matching Jumper Settings on the VCs a
X1, X2, X4, X8

PDFs of the install manuals are he
CSVC 150 - http://www.audioplex.com/manuals/4033.pdf
JB-1 - http://www.audioplex.com/manuals/2070.pdf

Questions:

1. Is the receiver sufficient for the task?
2. Will a separate amp on zome 2 solve any receiver deficiencies?
Onkyo Amp m-282 (100watts/channel)
(http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...=Amplifier&p=i)
3. What other amp might work better?
4. Is the audioplex stuff adequate?
5. Do the jumpers on the VCs need to all be set the same? The bathrooms
are smaller rooms and might not need as much juice as the other rooms).
6. what is the optimal jumper settings for the VCs in every room?

Thanks, Daniel

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On 29 Apr 2006 21:19:49 -0700, "
wrote:

I have questions about my home audio distribution scheme. My goal is to
provide distributed stereo to every room at moderate sound levels and
good quality. Budget is also a major concern.

There is no escape! Why do people do this? Must be like living in a
shopping mall. Does EVERYONE in the house want your choice of music,
constantly?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

huh? if you knew me you would be laughing now. the mall and i are not
exactly compatible and noise pollution is a major pet peeve. anyway, i
guess I understand your thoughts here but i can imagine plenty of
applications (mine included) where this type of set up makes plenty of
sense.

1. In a small flat (1200 sq/ft) like my own having a single source
piped into multiple locations lets me listen to tunes as walk from room
to room, something I do everyday with great joy.
2. each room can be turned off with the volume control, no one is
forced to listen to anything (sort of*).
3. pulling wires, a distro hub and VCs were cheaper than buying
equivalent and redundant stereos in even half the rooms and is a low
end kind of future proofing.
4. it reduces clutter and in my opinion looks cool
5. it can be upgraded to a multisource multi zone system which would
let people listen to different audio content in different rooms. This
is expensive from what i gather.
6. having a localized audio source allows for nice integration into
home automation schemes (which in my opinion is more head scratching as
in "Why do people do this?")
7. adds value to the flats resale

Just a few thoughts. Thanks for sharing.