Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nicolai

Default AMD or INTEL

I work with Audio Streams, making Recordings on Harddisk, making samples
and sometimes i have to to some Master Tracks.

Can you tell me something about the perfomence of those two differnt
CPU´s ?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peaches

"Nicolai" wrote in message
. ..
I work with Audio Streams, making Recordings on Harddisk, making samples
and sometimes i have to to some Master Tracks.

You don't do anything of the kind do you, you're living in fantasy land.
The way you have composed your question, betrays you do not know
the subject.

Can you tell me something about the perfomence of those two differnt CPU´s
?

They produce processors, they slice silicon.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Nicolai" wrote in message

I work with Audio Streams, making Recordings on Harddisk,
making samples and sometimes i have to to some Master
Tracks.
Can you tell me something about the perfomence of those
two differnt CPU´s ?

The performance of AMD and Intel CPUs varies with the specific models.

Trying to compare AMD and Intel CPUs by brand is like comparing all Fords
with all Chevys.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:07:35 +0200, Nicolai wrote:

I work with Audio Streams, making Recordings on Harddisk, making samples
and sometimes i have to to some Master Tracks.

Can you tell me something about the perfomence of those two differnt
CPU´s ?

There's very little difference, but if you pay for a software product and
tell suppoprt "I'm using an AMD processor" and they only support intel then
the automatic answer is going to be "**** you; we don't care; don't
call us again unless you're running intel."

Check with your software vender. Or at the very least, don't tell them
if you run AMD and they don't support it.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

Can you tell me something about the perfomence of those two differnt
CPU´s ?

There's very little difference, but if you pay for a software product and
tell suppoprt "I'm using an AMD processor" and they only support intel
then
the automatic answer is going to be "**** you; we don't care; don't
call us again unless you're running intel."

Check with your software vender. Or at the very least, don't tell them
if you run AMD and they don't support it.

What vendor have you had this experience with?

How much difference *can* there be? It's not hard to test a CPU and find
out whether it faithfully implements the specified instruction set.
Debugging a CPU is much easier than, for instance, debugging a medium-sized
computer program, because there is only a small set of things it has to
do -- a few hundred things -- all of them very well-defined.

What software actually has problems with AMD vs. Pentium? I'm curious.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

mc spake thus:

[...]

I *think* that he knows all that you said; what he's trying to say is
that some vendors will add this to their big bag of excuses--"oh, sorry,
we only support [x] processors".

Kind of like the old Ctl-Alt-Delete (x 5) runaround, where the tech
support person would try to buy themself extra time by having you reboot
your computer umpteen times for no reason.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Actually, for audio recording and mixing purposes, the AMD chip is generally
regarded as outperforming the Intel chips. I'll have to rely on others to
explain why, as I don't know.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

Actually, for audio recording and mixing purposes, the AMD chip is
generally regarded as outperforming the Intel chips. I'll have to rely on
others to explain why, as I don't know.

It could well do some computations faster. If I were trying to build a
Pentium-compatible chip without violating Intel's patents, I'd probably end
up with somewhat different amounts of time taken to execute some of the
instructions. Generally, when a CPU is redesigned from scratch, the
redesigners end up making some of the instructions appreciably faster
because they think of things the original designers didn't think of, or they
know (from experience) that some instructions are more frequently used than
the original designers foresaw. One of the things you'd do, of course, is
study existing software to see which CPU instructions it's using in
time-critical portions.

As you can guess, I'm a computer scientist, not a musician...

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

"mc" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting speculation. Thanks.

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

What you guys forget is that a CPU does not work alone. The motherboards,
support chips and drivers for an AMD are different to Intel.
The AMD problems with music seem to be sorted out now, but that certainly
wasn't the case a while ago, and many software companies simply refused to
support AMD.
Personally I'd still recommend AMD for games and graphics, but Intel for
music. Many programs are still not fully tested under AMD platforms
unfortunately, but if you are prepared to stick only to software that
supports AMD, then go for it. Although I don't see the difference in price
or real world performance as all that great anyway. Most musicians worry
more about fan noise, etc. and many of course prefer Apple computers (which
are now using Intel as well :-)

MrT.