Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Old speakers

I'm not an audiophile per se, but when I was a kid in the 1960s I would
pine over
catalog listings of stereo equipment and wish
I could afford a state of the art 12" 3-way speaker system, with the
midrange and
tweeter centered in the cone. Someone recently gave me a pair of them
that appeared
in good condition, but only one works. I hooked it up to a cheap Radio
Shack stereo
and the music had a lot more depth and clarity especially in the
midrange. The brand of
speakers is Bozak. My questions a Does it make any sense to try
getting the other one repaired? Is it just my imagination that these
speakers sound so good? And, what is a
good brand to go with that reproduces sound well in all ranges?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not an audiophile per se, but when I was a kid in the 1960s I would
pine over
catalog listings of stereo equipment and wish
I could afford a state of the art 12" 3-way speaker system, with the
midrange and
tweeter centered in the cone. Someone recently gave me a pair of them
that appeared
in good condition, but only one works. I hooked it up to a cheap Radio
Shack stereo
and the music had a lot more depth and clarity especially in the
midrange. The brand of
speakers is Bozak. My questions a Does it make any sense to try
getting the other one repaired?

I would
Is it just my imagination that these
speakers sound so good?

No. They are quite big though.
And, what is a
good brand to go with that reproduces sound well in all ranges?

You need to listen to the various brands and decided for yourself.
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael Squires

In article ,
Jim wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I'd look for a match on eBay first. Bozak drivers seem to be fairly
cheap there, compared to their JBL or Altec contemporaries.

Mike Squires

--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
Posted to rec.audio.tech
tai fu

Yea, first time I got one of those stereo systems hooked up to a PC it was
like a huge difference from a computer speaker w/subs... I thought those
were good but then when I hooked it up to a stereo I was like WOW, and thats
without a sub too.

--
TAI FU

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:52:19 +0800, "tai fu" wrote:

Yea, first time I got one of those stereo systems hooked up to a PC it was
like a huge difference from a computer speaker w/subs... I thought those
were good but then when I hooked it up to a stereo I was like WOW, and thats
without a sub too.

Yeah. Subs are only needed if the main speakers are ridiculously
small.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
tai fu

of course even the smaller bookshelf speakers used for hi fi are half the
size of a CRT monitor so it is kinda hard to integrate to a desktop. That is
unless you got a large desk. But I dont get it how they can charge so much
for a computer speaker that doesnt really sound too good, and for the same
cost one can get a decent amp or reciever and a pair of inexpensive speakers
and still sound better than the said computer speaker.

--
TAI FU
"Laurence Payne" lpayneNOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:52:19 +0800, "tai fu" wrote:

Yea, first time I got one of those stereo systems hooked up to a PC it

was
like a huge difference from a computer speaker w/subs... I thought those
were good but then when I hooked it up to a stereo I was like WOW, and

thats
without a sub too.

Yeah. Subs are only needed if the main speakers are ridiculously
small.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Steve Urbach

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:16:23 +0800, "tai fu" wrote:

of course even the smaller bookshelf speakers used for hi fi are half the
size of a CRT monitor so it is kinda hard to integrate to a desktop. That is
unless you got a large desk. But I dont get it how they can charge so much
for a computer speaker that doesnt really sound too good, and for the same
cost one can get a decent amp or reciever and a pair of inexpensive speakers
and still sound better than the said computer speaker.

The same way Monster does, By claiming special properties for
computers.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Steve Urbach spake thus:

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:16:23 +0800, "tai fu" wrote:

of course even the smaller bookshelf speakers used for hi fi are half the
size of a CRT monitor so it is kinda hard to integrate to a desktop. That is
unless you got a large desk. But I dont get it how they can charge so much
for a computer speaker that doesnt really sound too good, and for the same
cost one can get a decent amp or reciever and a pair of inexpensive speakers
and still sound better than the said computer speaker.

The same way Monster does, By claiming special properties for
computers.

Yeah: "digital-compatible" my ass!

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:16:23 +0800, "tai fu" wrote:

of course even the smaller bookshelf speakers used for hi fi are half the
size of a CRT monitor so it is kinda hard to integrate to a desktop. That is
unless you got a large desk. But I dont get it how they can charge so much
for a computer speaker that doesnt really sound too good, and for the same
cost one can get a decent amp or reciever and a pair of inexpensive speakers
and still sound better than the said computer speaker.

Well, you know now! You CAN get pretty good sound out of small
boxes. But not as small as the typical "computer" speaker. And it's
a lot easier to get good sound out of bigger boxes.

The average games player wants over-processed sound coming at him from
all directions. The market will happily take his money.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote:

of course even the smaller bookshelf speakers used for
hi fi are half the size of a CRT monitor so it is kinda
hard to integrate to a desktop. That is unless you got a
large desk. But I dont get it how they can charge so
much for a computer speaker that doesnt really sound too
good, and for the same cost one can get a decent amp or
reciever and a pair of inexpensive speakers and still
sound better than the said computer speaker.

Well, you know now! You CAN get pretty good sound out
of small boxes. But not as small as the typical
"computer" speaker. And it's a lot easier to get good
sound out of bigger boxes.

In theory, if you're willing to sacrifice enough efficiency, you can get
good sound out of very small boxes. However it seems like some sort of
diminishing returns are involved when the speaker is smaller than the
amplifier that drives it. ;-)

The whole problem with computer speakers is really the rediculously low
production costs for most of them.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:16:23 +0800, "tai fu" wrote:

of course even the smaller bookshelf speakers used for hi fi are half the
size of a CRT monitor so it is kinda hard to integrate to a desktop. That is
unless you got a large desk. But I dont get it how they can charge so much
for a computer speaker that doesnt really sound too good, and for the same
cost one can get a decent amp or reciever and a pair of inexpensive speakers
and still sound better than the said computer speaker.

Well, you know now! You CAN get pretty good sound out of small
boxes. But not as small as the typical "computer" speaker. And it's
a lot easier to get good sound out of bigger boxes.

It's not just the size. It's easy to get crappy sound out of big boxes
as well...especially if they're constructed out of thin plastic, with
cheap drivers, a simple cap high-filter xover and a $2 chip amp.

jak
The average games player wants over-processed sound coming at him from
all directions. The market will happily take his money.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

A few observations:

(1) "Digital-ready." In the absence of actual digital inputs on the audio
equipment, I am at a loss to know what this means. But it is a common
designation on computer speakers, headphones, etc., presumably to create the
impression that you have to have the new stuff.

(2) A new kind of low-fi. I'm still old enough to have the notion that a
live symphony concert is the basis of comparison to, say, playing a
recording of a symphony. But what if there is no live performance in the
first place (electronically generated music) and the criterion of quality is
how loud the bass booms?

(3) Really low-fi. I used to have a running battle with the people who ran
the sound system in a gym where I used to exercise. They would turn the
amplifier up to produce severe clipping and then turn the volume way down on
the pad at the speakers. I kept trying to convince them it sounded FAR
better to do this the other way around. But they had gotten used to the
clipped sound and liked it that way. Maybe they had never heard live music
at all.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

(1) "Digital-ready." In the absence of actual digital inputs on the audio
equipment, I am at a loss to know what this means. But it is a common
designation on computer speakers, headphones, etc., presumably to create
the impression that you have to have the new stuff.

In fact, Radio Shack at one time sold 2 similar substances in spray cans:
"TV tuner cleaner" and "Color TV tuner cleaner."