Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Recommendations for used CD Player: Arcam Diva 72 or Rotel rcd-971

Hi,

I am in a search of a used dedicated CD player to replace the current
Sony SPD-S7700 DVD player which until now has assumed the function of
the CD player. The Sony will be sold away anyhow to be replaced with a
upscaling DVD player, so we decided on a dedicated CD-player for
2-channel listening. We have lots of old and foreign CDs, and are not
really looking into SACD or DVD-A (although those will be included with
the new DVD player)

One of the drawbacks of the Sony is that I though that the sound was a
bit harsh or bright. I want to buy a used CD player and the price range
is at about $350. The two models that I had in mind are Rotel RCD-971
and the Arcam DiVA 72 (both used).

I was originally set on the Rotel, however reading some reviews they
mentioned its a bit harsh. Unfortunantely, since I will be buying the
unit used I won't have the option of testing them out in my system.

The rest of the system is:
Outlaw 950 pre/pro
Rotel RB-991 200watt
Paradigm Studio 100s v.2 (love them!!!)

Thanks,
George

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am in a search of a used dedicated CD player to replace the current
Sony SPD-S7700 DVD player which until now has assumed the function of
the CD player. The Sony will be sold away anyhow to be replaced with a
upscaling DVD player, so we decided on a dedicated CD-player for
2-channel listening. We have lots of old and foreign CDs, and are not
really looking into SACD or DVD-A (although those will be included with
the new DVD player)

One of the drawbacks of the Sony is that I though that the sound was a
bit harsh or bright. I want to buy a used CD player and the price range
is at about $350. The two models that I had in mind are Rotel RCD-971
and the Arcam DiVA 72 (both used).

The Sony is a terrific DVD player. Regardless of what you think of it, the
DAC design contained within that box received a Stereophile Class A
recommendation when incorporated in another player.
You can get "different", but you won't get "better".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
[...]

**I'd go for the Arcam. Although the Rotel is bloody excellent, the Arcam is
a little better and has some upgrade options.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

It's a bit out of my price range unfortunantely!

Any other recommendations, NAD, etc???

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's a bit out of my price range unfortunantely!

Any other recommendations, NAD, etc???

Stick with the one you have. It has a Stereophile Class A recommendation on
the DAC.