Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

Default the are only two kinds of amplifiers

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:27:59 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I briefly owned a Mac preamp. I looked inside, and was disgusted by
the cheapness, at that price level. Cheap pots on all controls except
volume, cheap power supply, ancient op amps through-out. All show, no
go.

I neglected to mention that it used 5% resistors throughout. I guess
1 cent 1% resistors are too spendy to use in a McIntosh preamp that
retailed for $1,500. It might have added $1 to the bill of materials.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Mike McKelvy endorses WAVAC amplifiers

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:54:36 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

And since he's now on record as saying that you don't even have to
listen to them and that you don't need a dbt or abx trial to
confidently choose them, you can feel confident that they will offer
you the ultimate in tube amplification.

You should work for Atkinson, neither of you seems to be able to tell
the
truth.

I would suggest that Mr. Atkinson might find this libelous.

Since both of you have a habit of distorting what other people say, I
doubt
it.

BTW, are you now saying that you DO need to perform a dbt or abx
trial? Which is it, Mr. McKelvy? You seem completely confused at this
moment.

The only one confused is you. I've stated many times when an ABX
comparison
is useful.

For something like the WAVAC it would not be, since given how it measures,
you'd have to be deaf not to notice how much different it sounds from
regular amps.

Unproven.

Demonstrable for anyone who has seen the measurements.

And glad to see that you've let the magazines off the hook when it
comes to dbts, since they're mostly unnecessary.

ONLY WHE THE DIFFERENCES AS MEASURABLE AS THOSE OF THE WAVAC. FOR SUBTLE
DIFFERENCE A MORE SENSITIVE FORM OF COMPARISON IS NEEDED.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:51:47 GMT, wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news:i4cco19cg2rtts7mh3133j2uile9rku98q@4ax. com...
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:04:09 GMT, wrote:

I have not auditioned it and never will, I already know what
distortion
sounds like and I want no more of it.

Well then, isn't it reckless, nay, foolish, to judge a piece of
gear
without doing a DBT/ABX on it?

Not when the differences are as gross as they are with a WAVAC as
anyone
can
see from the Stereophile measurements. Plenty of audible
distortion.
$300,000.00 for an amp that can't produce more than 2 watts of
output
power
before 1% THD.
http://stereophile.com/tubepoweramps...ac/index5.html
For that much distortion a simple A/B test would be sufficient.

Which you haven't even done. So you haven't even done the minimum.

Because there's no need. If you can't tell that the WAVAC is a piece
of
**** from the review measurements, then you have no business
discussing it.

So, you've now conclusively PROVED that there's no need for double
blind testing. Thank you very much!

I win.

How many times have I and others said that when differences are gross,
a DBT is unnecessary?

That's what I say, too!
The differences between some ss cd players are gross.

Lack of data to support your position noted.

You don't need to ABX when the differences are gross!

Which CD players have you seen any measurements on that indicate gross
differences?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:55:30 GMT, wrote:

That's what I say, too!
The differences between some ss cd players are gross.

Lack of data to support your position noted.

It's as supported as your claims about the potential results of a
WAVAC dbt.

So you don't understand why the differnces of a WAVAC amp do not require a
DBT to know that it is a crappy amp if you are looking for low distortion, I
got it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:48:13 GMT, wrote:

When the juice is there, the sound is there. Just
because there are models that don't have the good design
required, doesn't
mean that all tube amps are bad.

I would never say all are bad, but their cost vs. performance
ration is not
good, and there are many really expensive ones that are just
awful. WAVAC.

When you listened to this amp, what was it about the sound that
made
you think that is was awful? And what speakers did you use when
you
auditioned it?

I have not auditioned it and never will, I already know what
distortion sounds like and I want no more of it.

"At least" Arny sometimes listens to a sound file through some other
piece of inferior audio equipment!!

Are you seriously trying get me to beleive that double digit
distortion is not audible, or that an ABX comparison of the WAVAC is
even necessary to know that it sounds different from other amps?

you won't listen to anything, WAVAC, or anything else.

I listen to speakers, since they make the biggest difference.
I don't listen to something that measures as poorly as the WAVAC, I'm
looking for Hi-Fi, not room heaters or boat anchors.

You're looking for Ferstler's proverbial toasters.
No need to taste the toast!

Not when you already know it's poisoned.

Thanlks for admitting that your position is: when evaluating any piece of
equipment, all you have to do is read thespecs and that there
is no need to listen to the equipment.

Specs are a starting point. If all one did was read teh specs of a WAVAC
amp, they'd think it looks pretty good on paper. Bench tests and
measurements tell a more revealing story.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

Nice is not always the same as accurate. I don't begrudge people likeing
tube amps, only when they say they are better in some technical kind of
way.

Lordy!
That is NOT what we have been saying all along!

Yes it is.

We just say that a number of people appreciate
the way they sound, in general, and that they percieve
that using them results in a presentation more to their
perception of what real, live music, sounds like, to them.

And I've always maintained that prefernce is entirely personal and you
should buy what pleases you. It's when technical claims of superiority are
made that comparisons come into the picture. If someone wants to claim that
soa dn so tube amp is more accurate then that is a tecnical issue that can
be addressed by bias controlled comparisons and measurements.

I've said that I thnk there are 2 kinds of people who spend considerable
sums on audio systems. One kind is devoted to what they think sounds good
and the other kind is devoted to getting the most accurate playback of the
master as possible. The first kind allows for distortion that the second
kind considers sonic dirt.

There's nothing wrong with the first kind of person, they just are not into
HIGH FIDELITY.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:16:42 GMT, wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:27:25 GMT, wrote:

Since he's obviously biased (pun intended) against tube amps, it's
unclear whether or not bias might not be the controlling factor.

Not all tube amps, there are some that can be quite nice. SET's are not
among them.

That's not what you said earlier. You said ALL tube amps sounded worse
than every SS amp you had ever heard.

So the amp could sound WORSE but
"quite nice".

As in less accurate.

Interesting. So you agree that tube amps don't have to
"measure" better to sound nice.

For some people, for me I want amps that don't have any audible distortion
or FR deviations.

Nice is not always the same as accurate. I don't begrudge people likeing
tube amps, only when they say they are better in some technical kind of
way.

How many people say THAT? Most say, "I think it sounds more musical",
or "SS sounds more sterile to me", or I prefer the sound of tube amps
to SS amps generally". Just let someone say that and then you've got
Arnold Krueger and guys like you dumping all over them.

More musical is a meaningless term for someone involved in Hi-fi. Either
it's accurate or not.

Sterile is the same kind of term. It probably applies more to recordings
than to equipment.

Good Hi-Fi gear is supposed to pass a signal without any audible effect
other than making it louder. If that's not what you want then IMO you're
not into Hi-Fi, you're into something different.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:18:16 GMT, wrote:

But you didn't do DBTs. Once again, you've now conclusively dismissed
the need the dbts.

Way to go, sport!

Way to lie ****head!

So now you're saying that you DO need dbts to compare the WAVAC with
SS amps?

You seem a bit addled at this point. You should probably go to bed.

I should probably not discus things with someone who has such a hard time
keeping up.

Amps ar any gear that measures like the WAVAC need not be compared via
DBT,
since the differences are so glaringly obvious.

It was YOU who claimed that I was "lying" when I said, "But you didn't
do DBTs. Once again, you've now conclusively dismissed the need the
(sic) dbts".

Since I never dismissed the need for DBT's it is a lie to say I have. DBT's
are for subtle differences, not glaringly obvious ones such as the WAVAC
has.

If I was lying, then you must be advocating the use of dbts for the
WAVAC.

No subtle differences in the WAVAC when compared to any competently designed
amp.

Boy, are you addled. Maybe you need to check your patch and see if
it's past its expiration date.

Maybe you better seek help for your reading comprehension problem.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

I got the price wrong, the rest of the information is correct.
I have listened to tube amps before, all of them measured better than the
WAVAC.
All of them sounded worse that any SS amp I've ever heard..

Which tube amps have you lstenend to?

Conrad Johnson, AR, Dynaco, Hafler, VTL, Jadis, Cary, Jolida, and a few
others.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Mickey is apparently a polytheistic pagan.

More musical is a meaningless term for someone involved in Hi-fi.

The Greeks had a goddess of discord. Does the Archdemon of aBxism permit you
to worship other deities, such as the Spirit of Sounds-Like-****?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

You don't need to ABX when the differences are gross!

Which CD players have you seen any measurements on that indicate gross
differences?

I 'listened' to them, they sounded quite different.
I didn't 'hear' specs, I heard 'music'.
by "the differences were gross', I was referring to
the sound I heard.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
nk.net...

So you don't understand why the differnces of a QSC amp do not require a
DBT to know that it is a crappy amp if you are looking for low distortion,
I got it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
nk.net...

And I've always maintained that prefernce is entirely personal and you
should buy what pleases you. It's when technical claims of superiority
are made that comparisons come into the picture. If someone wants to
claim that soa dn so tube amp is more accurate then that is a tecnical
issue that can be addressed by bias controlled comparisons and
measurements.

I just explained this to you a few days ago.
We just think they sound better.
Our 'better' is not your 'better'.

I've said that I thnk there are 2 kinds of people who spend considerable
sums on audio systems. One kind is devoted to what they think sounds good
and the other kind is devoted to getting the most accurate playback of the
master as possible. The first kind allows for distortion that the second
kind considers sonic dirt.

There's nothing wrong with the first kind of person, they just are not
into HIGH FIDELITY.

Our 'high fidelity' is not
your'high fidelity'
Your is fidelity to measurements.
ours is fidelity to the
perception of a live presentation

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:27:59 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I briefly owned a Mac preamp. I looked inside, and was disgusted by
the cheapness, at that price level. Cheap pots on all controls except
volume, cheap power supply, ancient op amps through-out. All show, no
go.

I neglected to mention that it used 5% resistors throughout. I guess
1 cent 1% resistors are too spendy to use in a McIntosh preamp that
retailed for $1,500. It might have added $1 to the bill of materials.

What about the Gain Card amps? 9 parts, approx $50.00 cost for the DIYer,
much less for someone buying in bulk, sold for $1500.00 or thereabouts from
47 Lab.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

I don;t care what it looks like.
waht does it sound like?
Listen to the goddamn thing.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

At least not your version of hi fi

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:31:15 GMT, wrote:

And glad to see that you've let the magazines off the hook when it
comes to dbts, since they're mostly unnecessary.

ONLY WHE THE DIFFERENCES AS MEASURABLE AS THOSE OF THE WAVAC. FOR SUBTLE
DIFFERENCE A MORE SENSITIVE FORM OF COMPARISON IS NEEDED.

So, that means that Mr. Ludwig doesn't have to do DBTs.

Cool.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

ink.net...

wrote in message
nk.net...

I got the price wrong, the rest of the information is correct.
I have listened to tube amps before, all of them measured better than
the WAVAC.
All of them sounded worse that any SS amp I've ever heard..

Which tube amps have you lstenend to?

Conrad Johnson, AR, Dynaco, Hafler, VTL, Jadis, Cary, Jolida, and a few
others.

Of those, I haven't heard JAdis and AR (unless you mena ARC).
The Dynaco enerally sounds worse than SS.
The others are preferrable to the best SS I heard
One ss exception was a Muse which sounded quite good.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said to duh-Mikey:

HIGH FIDELITY.

Our 'high fidelity' is not
your'high fidelity'
Your is fidelity to measurements.
ours is fidelity to the
perception of a live presentation

I have to say that this comment of yours is quite unfair to Mikey. For
him, as for the other 'borgs, recordings are sui generis and unrelated to
other hypothetically attainable experiences. Mickey is arguing from a
fantastical vision of nonexistent technology and roboticized human sensory
apparatuses, not from such a mundane experience as going to a concert to
hear musicians performing real music. Any 'borg will tell you that if you
want to listen to live music, you don't need a stereo to do it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Mickey is apparently a polytheistic pagan.

More musical is a meaningless term for someone involved in Hi-fi.

That takes the cake!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:30:50 GMT, wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
news:9gj6o1hhd2kgrsi5ug08q9v4p2ujqvp0m3@4 ax.com...
[...]

without doing a DBT/ABX on it? At least according to your spirited
defense of DBT/ABX.

He read that a person did a DBT on items A and B and they sounded
the same,
to maybe one, two or three listeners, so he assumes tha D,E,F,G,H
I,J,K,L,M,N,
O,P,Q,R,S,T,U.V.W.X.Y.and Z all sound the same to everyone.
Quite the scientisit!!!!

Not a scientist, just somebody waiting for someone to show that the
evidence from the DBTs done so far have errors. The people who use
ABX and ABC/HR have shown repeatedly that there is a threshold for
what is audible and once that threshold is met, differences in
measurements can be found but not heard.

Yes, not a scientisit, and not one to trust his own senses, either.

Not when it's a matter of scientific fact that human hearing is easily
fooled by non-sonic influences.

As it is at home, during everyday listening.
I'll pick what sounds best in that environment.

You have the right to be wrong.

And you DON'T have the right to assume
whether I do or do not hear differences between various equipment.

It's not an assumption. You just said in another post that you heard gross
differnces in CD players, something that AFAIK is not possible, at least in
any CD player I've ever seen reviewed. IOW you heard differnces that did
not exist.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

You don't need to ABX when the differences are gross!

Which CD players have you seen any measurements on that indicate gross
differences?

I 'listened' to them, they sounded quite different.
I didn't 'hear' specs, I heard 'music'.
by "the differences were gross', I was referring to
the sound I heard.

What brands and models?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message
nk.net...

So you don't understand why the differnces of a QSC amp do not require a
DBT to know that it is a crappy amp if you are looking for low
distortion, I got it.

Nice try. Go back to listening to mirages now.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

You don't seem to get it, I'm not looking for an amp that is going to
unquestionably alter the sound of whatever goes through it. I ONLY WANT IT
TO AMPLIFY, NOT ALTER. If your not smart enough to know from the published
measurements, that the WAVAC is going to garbage up the signal, then you
need a new hobby.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

said:

It's not an assumption. You just said in another post that you heard gross
differnces in CD players, something that AFAIK is not possible, at least in
any CD player I've ever seen reviewed. IOW you heard differnces that did
not exist.

Some CD players are engineered to sound different, e.g. players with
tube output stages.
Compared with generic players, differences *can* be significant.

Also, the various methods of decoding D to A may lead to at least
measurable differences.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

It most certainly is an assumption.
I heard differences you are neither able to hear nor to measure.
Buy a hearing aid, or come up with some better ways to measure.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

ink.net...

wrote in message
nk.net...

So you don't understand why the differnces of a QSC amp do not require a
DBT to know that it is a crappy amp if you are looking for low
distortion, I got it.

Nice try. Go back to listening to mirages now.

I didn't say that.
Actually, it might have been you.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

You don't need to ABX when the differences are gross!
Which CD players have you seen any measurements on that indicate gross
differences?

I 'listened' to them, they sounded quite different.
I didn't 'hear' specs, I heard 'music'.
by "the differences were gross', I was referring to
the sound I heard.

What brands and models?

answered, as far as my recollection of model numbers.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

I don't understand why you need to keep
punishing your ears with accuracy. You don't give
a **** waht it sounds like, or even if
you enjoy it, as long as you have the
'security blanket' of knowing it has
good specs for FR and distortion, now matter
how unmusical the result might be.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
said:

It's not an assumption. You just said in another post that you heard
gross
differnces in CD players, something that AFAIK is not possible, at least
in
any CD player I've ever seen reviewed. IOW you heard differnces that did
not exist.

Some CD players are engineered to sound different, e.g. players with
tube output stages.
Compared with generic players, differences *can* be significant.

As always tubes are not part of any discussion I have about audio equipment.
A tubed CD player to me is like what a catholic must feel like seeing
somebody **** on a picture of Jesus.

Also, the various methods of decoding D to A may lead to at least
measurable differences.

I never would claim otherwise, but audible is another matter.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

If they can't be measured they can't be heard either.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

ink.net...

wrote in message
nk.net...

So you don't understand why the differnces of a QSC amp do not require
a DBT to know that it is a crappy amp if you are looking for low
distortion, I got it.

Nice try. Go back to listening to mirages now.

I didn't say that.
Actually, it might have been you.

But it wasn't.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:48:13 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

I'm not punishing my ears, I'm just not letting them hear something that
isn't there.

I do care what stuff sounds like, the electronics should have no sound at
all, they're just supposed to pass the signal or amplifiy it. The part that
makes real differnce is the speakers and that part I care most about. For
the rest I want to hear the recording as it was done. That way I know if
the recording is good or not, instead of having to guess at how the
equipment might be altering it.

If I want to alter it, I can always get an EQ, or some sort of DSP.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:03:37 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:57:10 GMT, wrote:

Considering your inability to get even the most basic facts correct
about the thing, YES, I have my doubts that a: the distortion is not
audible to you and b: you might not find it any different than a
Yamaha amp.

I got the price wrong, the rest of the information is correct.
I have listened to tube amps before, all of them measured better than
the
WAVAC.
All of them sounded worse that any SS amp I've ever heard..

But you didn't do DBTs. Once again, you've now conclusively dismissed
the need the dbts.

Yes, when the difference is obvious, as has been stated countless
times.

Yes, even between ss amps with very similar 'specs'.

Deoends on how similar.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

wrote in message
ink.net...
:
: "Clyde Slick" wrote in message
: ...
: It most certainly is an assumption.
: I heard differences you are neither able to hear nor to measure.
: Buy a hearing aid, or come up with some better ways to measure.
:
: If they can't be measured they can't be heard either.
:
:
Maybe so. However, the same problem that plagues abX is at hand he
you can measure temperature, relative humidity, illumination level and
what not, how are the results relevant to the question of difference ?
Iow, to state that some measurements or metric are relevant do not
make it so. Usually, not relevance, but convenience and available
measurement equipment have set the standard and type of measurements :-)

THD, for instance, is calculated with a summing of the squared levels of
the various harmonic distortions - not at all a correct weighing of the actual
perception of 'aggravation' by these distortion components - as is known
for decades

At a more fundamental level, the mental model of having some
pristine signal and a separate 'distortion level treshold function' in the
listener is just not the way perception works. So while at some instances,
as little as 0.03 % distortion is clearly noticeable*, at other times, several
percent will pass by unnoticed**.

Under dynamic conditions, that is, with music, things like time domain and
frequency domain masking take place. Many perception modifiers
(i prefer that to the rather loaded-with-connotations-term bias) are at work,
whether sighted, blinded, double or tripled, whatever ;-) listening is done,
making it an individual experience that cannot readily be lumped together:
that would make as much sense as saying that the average taste preference
is "red herring with sour cream and strawberry ice on top".

Of course, distortion is just one aspect, frequency range, frequency response,
noise, output impedance, horizontal and vertical dispersion vs. frequency,
sensitivity, pulse response, compression, jitter are some other metrics that are
applicable with some of the components in the audio reproduction chain.

Your claim to know "what one is able to hear" is highly suspect.
It would also render a lot of testing and evaluation in the real world rather
pointless, as it could then be established from a simple set of measurements,
some metric, fed into some weighing matrix and..presto audible or non-audible
comes out -- i think NOT.

Rudy

* in a 1000 Hz sine wave, in a carefully set up university experiment, by some of
the participants..others had trouble with anything under 0.5 % :-)
** playing back music, containing 30 - 60 Hz components at reasonably loud
levels, all speakers will give you such distortion levels (except some megasized
woofers

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

nk.net...

wrote:

[...]

When you come up with a better measureing tool,
Then you'll hear it!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:48:13 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

They don't alter it quite to my taste.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...
:
[...]

From the other side,
Thank You.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

wrote in message
ink.net...
:
: "Clyde Slick" wrote in message
: ...
: It most certainly is an assumption.
: I heard differences you are neither able to hear nor to measure.
: Buy a hearing aid, or come up with some better ways to measure.
:
: If they can't be measured they can't be heard either.
:
:
Maybe so.

Until someone identifies some new thing there is nothing known that people
can hear that can't be measured. Things that can't be heard but are present
in an audio signal can also be measured. The measuring equipment is far
more sensitive than the ear.

However, the same problem that plagues abX is at hand he

That people reject it out of hand?

you can measure temperature, relative humidity, illumination level and
what not, how are the results relevant to the question of difference ?

They aren't. There's either an audible differnence or not.

[...]

AFAIK 1% is where it becomes noticable for humans.

Under dynamic conditions, that is, with music, things like time domain and
frequency domain masking take place. Many perception modifiers
(i prefer that to the rather loaded-with-connotations-term bias) are at
work,
whether sighted, blinded, double or tripled, whatever ;-) listening is
done,
making it an individual experience that cannot readily be lumped together:
that would make as much sense as saying that the average taste preference
is "red herring with sour cream and strawberry ice on top".

It is still known that a DBT IS vastly more reliable for evaluating
differences than any form of sighted listening. There is ample data on this
and I've posted plenty of the titles and authors who have done the research.
As I said to Ludovic, a simple e-mail to Sean Olive will get you more
information than you need on the subject of blind evaluations vs. sighted
ones.

Of course, distortion is just one aspect, frequency range, frequency
response,
noise, output impedance, horizontal and vertical dispersion vs. frequency,
sensitivity, pulse response, compression, jitter are some other metrics
that are
applicable with some of the components in the audio reproduction chain.

No properly functioning CD player has audible jitter.
Dispersion is the province of loudspeakers as is pulse response.
SS amps present a much more speaker friendly impedance than do tubed amps.
There are some people that say there is no vertical dispersion, I'm not so
sure.
Certainly loudspeakers play the single most important role in what we hear.
There's not much we can do about the recordings and how much or how little
compression is used.

There is no audio gear tha I know of or at leasthat I would be interested in
that can't produce the entire audible frequency range.

Your claim to know "what one is able to hear" is highly suspect.

It's not just me saying it. There is plenty of research that demonstrates
what is audible and what is not. No small amount of it comeing from
research into hearing aids.

It would also render a lot of testing and evaluation in the real world
rather
pointless, as it could then be established from a simple set of
measurements,
some metric, fed into some weighing matrix and..presto audible or
non-audible
comes out -- i think NOT.

I suggest you read some of the research and then see what you think. In any
case the world of subjectivist audio is a far cry from the real world and
what audio components are actually capable of.

Rudy

* in a 1000 Hz sine wave, in a carefully set up university experiment, by
some of
the participants..others had trouble with anything under 0.5 % :-)
** playing back music, containing 30 - 60 Hz components at reasonably
loud
levels, all speakers will give you such distortion levels (except some
megasized
woofers

With loudspeakers the only way you can reduce distortion is with more
drivers covering the same frequency range, or new, better materials. 5% THD
is very typical, especially for woofers. We've grown used to that level of
distortion and there's not mich that we can use to compare that doesn't have
the same amount, but adding in 10% more from anything like the WAVAC woujld
certainly show up as audible

The standard for THD has been anything over 1% is audible. 10% as is the
case for the WAVAC is simply crap.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

THD, for instance, is calculated with a summing of the
squared levels of
the various harmonic distortions - not at all a correct
weighing of the actual perception of 'aggravation' by
these distortion components - as is known
for decades

Straw man argument. THD is not the only possible or even
commonly used means for measure or charaterize nonlinear
distortion.