west

Default Good iron Needed

Dear Rodents,
I would like to build Mono Amps with 6 KT88s per side in Triode or a switch
to Triode or not to.... What kind of Power XFR and OPTs do you recommend? I
plan on trying to build a state of the art amp so I do not want to
compromise on sub-standard iron yet I don't want to buy that mega buck
silver wired Japanese stuff. I know the Dynaco VI with 4 KT 88s per side use
410-0-410 @ 400ma. I guess I'll need a bit more current capability with an
extra pair of Output tubes. I'm not sure what 6 KT88's in PPP need for an
OPT.
Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
Cordially,
west

george craig

"west" wrote in message
Dear Rodents,
I would like to build Mono Amps with 6 KT88s per side in Triode or a

switch
to Triode or not to.... What kind of Power XFR and OPTs do you recommend?

plan on trying to build a state of the art amp so I do not want to
compromise on sub-standard iron yet I don't want to buy that mega buck
silver wired Japanese stuff. I know the Dynaco VI with 4 KT 88s per side

use
410-0-410 @ 400ma. I guess I'll need a bit more current capability with an
extra pair of Output tubes. I'm not sure what 6 KT88's in PPP need for an
OPT.
Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
Cordially,
west

Seems to me Hammond made a 280 watt output, 1.9K P to P out put with
UL screen taps.......for the power transformer look into what is known as
an ''Industrial control transformer" these are multi-tap 120,240 to 240,

277
380,440 v at 250 to 1000 watts .....I paid 10 bucks for a 500 W unit 120

277 and 380 V the unit was new......Patrick doesn't like Hammond but they
are cost effictive ..........GC

Fabio Berutti

In terms of $ and time, the biggest of all 1.9K Hammonds is an obvious
choice (28#, ouch...). But with 6x KT88s in triode or better UL mode You
should use a lower impedance, about 1K - 1K2, to get full power. I'd ask
for a custom wound, there are some good suppliers like Sowter. Or You can
try an Aussie who sometimes writes on RATs... he should have some
transformers of his own, just for paralleled 6550s or eq.

Ciao

Fabio