AntiSpammer

Default need help on watts and ohm

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.

Tweeter - 2x 220 watts rms at 8 ohm , 300 watts rms MAX

My current amp - 2x 300 watts rms at 4 ohm (@ 12.5v)

Question is ; is this amp good enough to power the tweeters?
cos at 8 ohm it's only 150 watts rms.

or should I get the alphasonik that churns out 2x 500 watts at 4 ohm ?

Kevin McMurtrie

"AntiSpammer" wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.

Tweeter - 2x 220 watts rms at 8 ohm , 300 watts rms MAX

My current amp - 2x 300 watts rms at 4 ohm (@ 12.5v)

Question is ; is this amp good enough to power the tweeters?
cos at 8 ohm it's only 150 watts rms.

or should I get the alphasonik that churns out 2x 500 watts at 4 ohm ?

Unless you have a two foot long PA horn, the 220 W RMS rating for the
tweeter is "music power". That means that its power handling should
allow it to be used as part of a 220W @ 8 Ohm full range system. In
your case it's good for use in a 440W RMS @ 4 Ohm system. The actual
power handled by the tweeter could be just a few watts.

The real question is whether or not it's loud enough to compliment other
4 Ohm speaker components. If the tweeter's SPL is high, it may be a
perfect match to 4 Ohm car speakers that often have low SPL ratings. If
not, they will require tonal/EQ adjustment or a small dedicated
amplifier.
Les

"AntiSpammer" wrote in message
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.

Tweeter - 2x 220 watts rms at 8 ohm , 300 watts rms MAX

My current amp - 2x 300 watts rms at 4 ohm (@ 12.5v)

Question is ; is this amp good enough to power the tweeters?
cos at 8 ohm it's only 150 watts rms.

or should I get the alphasonik that churns out 2x 500 watts at 4 ohm ?

Tweeters do not need very much power all to achieve the maximum output, on
the order of maybe 20 watts, and that's on the high side. Most manufactures
are typically rating the tweets within the whole system using the supplied
crossovers, where most of that power is used up by the woofer and very
little by the tweeter. Do not make the mistake that your tweeters can handle
any even remotely close to that power.

Les

Cyrus

"Les" wrote:

"AntiSpammer" wrote in message
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.

Tweeter - 2x 220 watts rms at 8 ohm , 300 watts rms MAX

My current amp - 2x 300 watts rms at 4 ohm (@ 12.5v)

Question is ; is this amp good enough to power the tweeters?
cos at 8 ohm it's only 150 watts rms.

or should I get the alphasonik that churns out 2x 500 watts at 4 ohm ?

Tweeters do not need very much power all to achieve the maximum output, on
the order of maybe 20 watts, and that's on the high side. Most manufactures
are typically rating the tweets within the whole system using the supplied
crossovers, where most of that power is used up by the woofer and very
little by the tweeter. Do not make the mistake that your tweeters can handle
any even remotely close to that power.

Les

I'll second that motion and toss in... The frequency band that tweeters
normally reproduce don't call for the much amplification.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

AntiSpammer

this is my tweeter.

http://www.morel.co.il/drivers/tweet...upreme130.html

AntiSpammer

kevin, les, cyrus thanks!

meaning I can use any of the below amps to power it right?

amp 1 , 2x 140wrms @ 4ohm @ 12v
amp 2 , 2x 300wrms @ 4ohm @ 12v

joe.ker

Just be sure to cross them over. if there not crossed over you can fry them
with just 20 watts

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"AntiSpammer" wrote in message
kevin, les, cyrus thanks!

meaning I can use any of the below amps to power it right?

amp 1 , 2x 140wrms @ 4ohm @ 12v
amp 2 , 2x 300wrms @ 4ohm @ 12v

Cyrus

"AntiSpammer" wrote:

kevin, les, cyrus thanks!

meaning I can use any of the below amps to power it right?

amp 1 , 2x 140wrms @ 4ohm @ 12v
amp 2 , 2x 300wrms @ 4ohm @ 12v

Sure, just be sure to correctly set the gain and engage the HP filter.