song writer

Default Korg or Yamaha

A great piano player told me that he always gets Yamaha over Korgs because
their sound is so much closer to a real piano. Is this true? He also said
that the action is better.

Is the weighted keys, and hammer action just as good on a Korg as it is on a
Yamaha?

I really want to get a synthesizer soon, so I want to make up my mind.

Would you trust an internet company to mail you one? I can save on taxes.

Thanks for the help

Henry Salvia

song writer wrote:

A great piano player told me that he always gets Yamaha over Korgs because
their sound is so much closer to a real piano. Is this true? He also said
that the action is better.

You should ask on rec.music.makers.piano, or just use Google to search
the usenet archives. This comes up all the time. But the only opinion
that matters
is yours. Go listen to each critically. For me headphones really
highlight
the shortcomings of digital pianos. But in a pop context, the
shortcomings
are assetts: the piano sound is 2-dimensional, so it leaves more
valuable
sonic space for important things like the bass drum and crunchy rhythm
guitar 8^).

Is the weighted keys, and hammer action just as good on a Korg as it is on a
Yamaha?

Good depends on you. IME Korg is a bit heavier than Yamaha, which is a
bit heavier than Roland. This may be good to you, or bad to you. The new
Casios are supposed to be pretty good too.

I really want to get a synthesizer soon, so I want to make up my mind.

Would you trust an internet company to mail you one? I can save on taxes.

Sure. But you really want to play them before you decide. You can
probably
force yourself to adjust to almost anything, but you owe it to yourself
to spend some time kicking the tires on a bunch of differnet models to
see what fits you physically, and the sound that inspires you the most
and fits the style you play. They're all good, and they're all
different.

Henry.

Thanks for the help

John L Rice

In addition to what Henry said, if you are a 'real' pianist you might want
to consider buying the piano action keyboard controller that has the best
feel to you and then getting a synth module that has the most realistic
piano sound to you. Make sure you try them out together for the best match.

In addition to the Yamaha and Korg check out Kurzweil and especially the new
Roland Fantom X series. I just got the Fantom XR module and it has really
impressive acoustic piano sounds. Go to this link and click the 'Launch
Product Demo' for some samples :
http://www.rolandus.com/products/det...id=Fantom%2DXR

Best of luck!

John L Rice

"song writer" wrote in message
A great piano player told me that he always gets Yamaha over Korgs because
their sound is so much closer to a real piano. Is this true? He also said
that the action is better.

Is the weighted keys, and hammer action just as good on a Korg as it is on

Yamaha?

I really want to get a synthesizer soon, so I want to make up my mind.

Would you trust an internet company to mail you one? I can save on taxes.

Thanks for the help

Cary

"song writer" wrote in message
A great piano player told me that he always gets Yamaha over Korgs because
their sound is so much closer to a real piano. Is this true? He also said
that the action is better.

I recently bought a new keyboard and am a piano player by trade. I tried
them all and decided to buy a Yamaha S90. Its essentially a Yamaha Motif
without all the automatic bells and whistles. The action is a bit heavy
(just the way I like it). The sound IMO, is much better than the Korgs.
Rolands were never in the running because I think they sound somewhat
synthetic. OK, they all sound synthetic, but the Rolands even more so. The
suggestions above are right on the money. Go out and check them all out
yourself. I have a feeling you'll walk away with the Yamaha. Check out
Stephen St. Croix's article in Mix a few months back. He chose the Korg
because he felt it was easier to use, but the Yamaha won hands down for
sound. Personally I don't have a problem with using the Yamaha, YMMV.

CA

song writer

On 11/22/04 12:44 AM, in article ,
"song writer" wrote:

Thanks to all of you for your excellent feedback.
I was shopping a little more today, and I get a little more confused each
time. Now I realize that I want not only the weighted key feel, but also
the hammer action of the keyboard. That is a very important quality for the
keyboard to have. However, the salesmen said I will not get the hammer
action on synthesizer workstations like Yamaha, Rolland, or Korg, but only
the weighted keys. On the other hand, the hammer action works great on the
digital keyboards. Sigh... Since I plan on writing music and recoding the
synthesizer workstations are the route I should take. I can't see myself
spending more money for a sequencer box at this point. However, I do want
that nice acoustic piano sound, along with the other timbers that the
synthesizers offer. So my questions is this: does the Yamaha offer the
hammer action on it?

I hope I'm not making a pest out of myself. I love, and I mean love the
piano. I have been trying to teach myself for years, and now I am finally
getting the hang of it. I also dabble in guitar.
Music is my love. I am a flash/web designer by trade, but music is my long
lost passion.

Thanks

James Chew

Although i'm a Korg user I do find
Yamaha's Piano to sound best and
the action too. You can find that
the weight changes from heavy for
the lower notes to light for the higher
notes.. that's how it is for a real piano too.
So i guess the action is more accurate.

[...]

Mirek

I don't think either Korg or Yamaha will sound and play better than
Roland RD or A-series keyboards. In fact, there is one on e-bay right
now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I'd seriously consider looking into it. The one listed on ebay will
accept several synth boards as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I didn't care much about either Korg or Yamaha's piano sounds, nor did
I like the action at all. The A90 feels very, very close
(action-wise) to the real thing and it offers just about any midi
controller feature you'd ever need.

Good luck.

Mirek

song writer wrote in message ...
A great piano player told me that he always gets Yamaha over Korgs because
their sound is so much closer to a real piano. Is this true? He also said
that the action is better.

Is the weighted keys, and hammer action just as good on a Korg as it is on a
Yamaha?

I really want to get a synthesizer soon, so I want to make up my mind.

Would you trust an internet company to mail you one? I can save on taxes.

Thanks for the help

song writer

On 11/24/04 8:52 PM, in article
, "Mirek"
wrote:

I don't think either Korg or Yamaha will sound and play better than
Roland RD or A-series keyboards. In fact, there is one on e-bay right
now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3764806 533&r
d=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'd seriously consider looking into it. The one listed on ebay will
accept several synth boards as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3764422 462&r
d=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I didn't care much about either Korg or Yamaha's piano sounds, nor did
I like the action at all. The A90 feels very, very close
(action-wise) to the real thing and it offers just about any midi
controller feature you'd ever need.

Good luck.

Mirek

song writer wrote in message
A great piano player told me that he always gets Yamaha over Korgs because
their sound is so much closer to a real piano. Is this true? He also said
that the action is better.

Is the weighted keys, and hammer action just as good on a Korg as it is on a
Yamaha?

I really want to get a synthesizer soon, so I want to make up my mind.

Would you trust an internet company to mail you one? I can save on taxes.

Thanks for the help

I would like to thank you all for your feedback.

Tonight I purchased a Yamaha ES 8 Motif. A co-worker highly recommended it.
He is a vidographer as well as a keyboardist. He let me here what he created
for our client for background music, and I was very impressed.

I figured if I didn't make up my mind soon it might be another year before I
purchase a keyboard/synthesizer. So now I have one; and I'm glad!

Thanks for all your help.
Cheers