Scott Dorsey

Default Ribbon mics... which pre?

Maxy wrote:
Hi everybody,
I am starting to use ribbon mics a lot but they don't sound too good with my
usual preamps....

What kind of ribbon mikes?

Impedence problems?

Maybe, what kind of preamps?

What do I use?

I don't know. What instruments are you recording?

hank alrich

Maxy wrote:

I am starting to use ribbon mics a lot but they don't sound too good with my
usual preamps....
Impedence problems?
What do I use?

What mics? What preamp? On what sources?

--
ha

Maxy

So:
I use
oktava ML52 (x4)
beyerdynamic M130 (x2)
coles 4038 (x1)

As pre I tried behringer 1953 tube preamp, soundcraft delta lx mixer,
soundcraft B400 broadcasr mixer, mackie mixers, goldmike and presonus.

Instruments I have problems with: room mics used with acoustic instruments,
acoustic guitar, some choir, strings.
Instruments I DO NOT have problems with: drums overhead, brass section,
strong vocals, electric guitars.

The main problem is that I often have to turn my gain knob at maximum!!!
Obviously my preamp noise is very loud.

I read somewhere that there are impendence problems with ribbon microphones.

Thanks
Max

"Maxy" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi everybody,
I am starting to use ribbon mics a lot but they don't sound too good with

my
usual preamps....
Impedence problems?
What do I use?

Thanks
Max

Scott Dorsey

Maxy wrote:
So:
I use
oktava ML52 (x4)

These, sadly, will be noisy no matter what you do, because of the transformer
they use.

beyerdynamic M130 (x2)

These shouldn't be all that noisy. The output is low, but not outrageously
low.

coles 4038 (x1)

This has less top end than either of the other two, which can sometimes fool
you into thinking it's not as loud. But it also has plenty of output.

As pre I tried behringer 1953 tube preamp, soundcraft delta lx mixer,
soundcraft B400 broadcasr mixer, mackie mixers, goldmike and presonus.

None of these are going to perform terribly well. Try a transformer-input
preamp like the Great River, the John Hardy, or even the Peavey VMP-2.

The main problem is that I often have to turn my gain knob at maximum!!!
Obviously my preamp noise is very loud.

If you have a good preamp, you'll still have to turn the gain knob up to
maximum. The difference is that with a good preamp, it will sound good and
won't be as noisy with the gain at maximum.

I read somewhere that there are impendence problems with ribbon microphones.

Yes, but that's not your issue yet. Ribbons will change their tone a lot
with loading. But if you aren't getting enough output level, you have not
got to the level of worrying about tone yet.

Taylor Miller

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

preamp like the Great River, the John Hardy, or even the Peavey VMP-2.

I use a VMP-2 on my M-260DX mikes and they sound great.

Taylor

Paul Stamler

"Maxy" wrote in message
So:
I use
oktava ML52 (x4)
beyerdynamic M130 (x2)
coles 4038 (x1)

As pre I tried behringer 1953 tube preamp, soundcraft delta lx mixer,
soundcraft B400 broadcasr mixer, mackie mixers, goldmike and presonus.

Instruments I have problems with: room mics used with acoustic

instruments,
acoustic guitar, some choir, strings.
Instruments I DO NOT have problems with: drums overhead, brass section,
strong vocals, electric guitars.

The main problem is that I often have to turn my gain knob at maximum!!!
Obviously my preamp noise is very loud.

I read somewhere that there are impendence problems with ribbon

microphones.

You're not having an impedance problem, you're having a level problem. Soft
instruments plus low-sensitivity microphones = low microphone output levels.
So yes, you have to turn the preamp's gain control up to get adequate level,
and since most of these are not hugely quiet preamps, you'll get excessive
noise.

Look for quieter preamps. The'll cost more than Behringers, Mackies and the
like, but that's really what it takes to use ribbons on quiet instruments.
And that still may not be enough; you may find that ribbons are just too
quiet for this application.

Peace,
Paul

Kurt Albershardt

Maxy wrote:
So:
I use
oktava ML52 (x4)
beyerdynamic M130 (x2)
coles 4038 (x1)

As pre I tried behringer 1953 tube preamp, soundcraft delta lx mixer,
soundcraft B400 broadcasr mixer, mackie mixers, goldmike and presonus.

Instruments I have problems with: room mics used with acoustic instruments,
acoustic guitar, some choir, strings.
Instruments I DO NOT have problems with: drums overhead, brass section,
strong vocals, electric guitars.

The main problem is that I often have to turn my gain knob at maximum!!!
Obviously my preamp noise is very loud.

The preamps you mentioned are not known for their high gain performance.

If one of the transformerless ones has a high enough input impedance, you *might* be able to get away with putting a good (Jensen, Lundahl, Sowter, etc.) input transformer ahead of the preamp. Think 2:1, 3:1, or maybe 4:1 depending on the preamp.

Steve Scott

I've been through a few preamps lately with an R84. By far the best has
been Vintech X73i, at 300 ohm. Very strong, realistic sound, a little
"bigger than life" even. I use it maxed at 70 dB, it's not noisy.
Focusrite ISA 428 was pretty nice, also offers variable-Z, as well as 80 dB
gain. The R84 can use all of that. I haven't cared for the ribbon with
solid state preamps Grace and Klark-Teknik.

In my experience, this ribbon mic is very dependent on the preamp impedance,
low-Z is definitely better for a stronger, clearer sound. And as mentioned
by others, transformer input is usually helpful with ribbons.

Steve

"Maxy" wrote:
I use
oktava ML52 (x4)
beyerdynamic M130 (x2)
coles 4038 (x1)

As pre I tried behringer 1953 tube preamp, soundcraft delta lx mixer,
soundcraft B400 broadcasr mixer, mackie mixers, goldmike and presonus.

Instruments I have problems with: room mics used with acoustic

instruments,
acoustic guitar, some choir, strings.
Instruments I DO NOT have problems with: drums overhead, brass section,
strong vocals, electric guitars.

The main problem is that I often have to turn my gain knob at maximum!!!
Obviously my preamp noise is very loud.

I read somewhere that there are impendence problems with ribbon

microphones.

WillStG

"Maxy" BRBR
So:
I use
oktava ML52 (x4)
beyerdynamic M130 (x2)
coles 4038 (x1)

As pre I tried behringer 1953 tube preamp, soundcraft delta lx mixer,
soundcraft B400 broadcasr mixer, mackie mixers, goldmike and presonus.

Instruments I have problems with: room mics used with acoustic instruments,
acoustic guitar, some choir, strings.
Instruments I DO NOT have problems with: drums overhead, brass section,
strong vocals, electric guitars.

The main problem is that I often have to turn my gain knob at maximum!!!
Obviously my preamp noise is very loud.

I read somewhere that there are impendence problems with ribbon microphones.

Are you using the direct output of the micpres direct into your recorder?
That improves things _a lot_. And the Soundcraft B400 is probably the best
mixer you have listed, it has 72db of gain on the micpres ( better than the
Delta and kills the Mackie et al.) Are they really too noisy? Jim Williams at
Audio Upgrades has a micpre modification he does on a module for about $150, I
might dump the Behringer and Mackie and send in a couple of modules as a modest
upgrade (assuming they are yours.)

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejwilliams3/pl1.html

A ribbon isn't my first choice for a room mic/s on quiet sources, I would
reach for a condensor first. I wish I had another M130 so I could do Blumlein
with them!

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Scott Dorsey

Maxy wrote:
Do you think I colud change the transformes of the ML52?

Maybe. Ask me in another six months. After the AES show I will at least
have some sort of schedule.

Scott Dorsey

Maxy wrote:
Do you think I colud change the transformes of the ML52?

Maybe. Ask me in another six months. After the AES show I will at least
have some sort of schedule.

hank alrich

Ty Ford wrote:

I've never hear a good acoustic guitar that's helped by a ribbon. Banjo,
accordion, yes, not a good acoustic guitar.

Context, Ty, sometimes has me enjoying acoustic guitars, even good ones,
through M160, M500, M260, and sometimes I wish I had a Royer or seven.

--
ha

Blind Joni

Context, Ty, sometimes has me enjoying acoustic guitars, even good ones,
through M160, M500, M260, and sometimes I wish I had a Royer or seven.

Works with percussion too..in context.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Ty Ford

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:34:36 -0400, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:

I've never hear a good acoustic guitar that's helped by a ribbon. Banjo,
accordion, yes, not a good acoustic guitar.

Context, Ty, sometimes has me enjoying acoustic guitars, even good ones,
through M160, M500, M260, and sometimes I wish I had a Royer or seven.

--
ha

Well if you know you want it in the back of the mix....maybe, but in general
I'm not a fan.

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:42:52 -0400, Blind Joni wrote
(in article ):

Context, Ty, sometimes has me enjoying acoustic guitars, even good ones,
through M160, M500, M260, and sometimes I wish I had a Royer or seven.

Works with percussion too..in context.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Percussion is totally dif.

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Blind Joni

Context, Ty, sometimes has me enjoying acoustic guitars, even good ones,
through M160, M500, M260, and sometimes I wish I had a Royer or seven.

Works with percussion too..in context.

Percussion is totally dif.

Ty

I was commenting on the context remark. Normally I would use condensors or
dynamics for recording percussion but if I knew that I wanted thme to be
darker, puncht and not bright a ribbon might work well in the track.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

maxdm

"Maxy" wrote in message ...
Hi everybody,
I am starting to use ribbon mics a lot but they don't sound too good with my
usual preamps....
Impedence problems?
What do I use?

Thanks
Max

You need something with a 1:10 step-up ratio transformer at the input.
this wil most likely be a tube preamp.
in the tube days ribbon mikes were the norm so a lot of those pre's
are actually less noisy than the solid state pres *if they have been
refurbished*
the pres on any op-amp based mixer need to be cranked to full gain,
but were designed for high level mikes and will not sound very good.
this is also because by raising the gain you are reducing the negative
feedback of the op-amps.
op-amps without negative feedback sound ****ty ,slow and noisy.
worth investing in a tube pre, or modifying a discrete preamp with FET
on the first stage by replacing the input transformer with a Jensen
1:10 ratio ..

or you can sell your mikes and get Royers -- which have a built in
step-up transformer and impedance converter.

hank alrich

maxdm wrote:

You need something with a 1:10 step-up ratio transformer at the input.
this wil most likely be a tube preamp.

The Rolls RP220 actually works like a preamp instead of an effects box
when used with low sensitivity ribbon mics. I was surprised how well it
did with my M160's.

--
ha

haligonab

I've got a Beyer M500 on the way. At present I have available a
Soundcraft Spirit FX8 board and a (ahem) Presonus Blue Tube pre. I'm
also considering a Studio Projects VTB-1, based on reviews I've read
here. I recall someone (was it Harvey Gerst?) saying that the VTB-1
sounded good with his vintage RCA ribbon mic. Would this translate
well to the Beyer M500? Budgetary limitations are important at the
moment.

Also, I haven't seen any posts from Stephen Sank lately. May I assume
that he's still doing ribbon mods? If so, how do I contact him?
Thanks!

Steve

Ribbon mics for sale playon Pro Audio 6 September 15th 04 03:31 AM
Condenser mics Matthew Coffay Pro Audio 44 May 23rd 04 05:43 AM
FS- Pair RCA 74 jr ribbon mics MHLINE Pro Audio 0 March 11th 04 03:53 AM
WTB: Ribbon Mics, Dynamic Mics Stefan Colson Pro Audio 0 October 29th 03 09:46 AM
Midas Venice 320 Preamps Ribbon mics Bryan Pro Audio 9 July 21st 03 11:13 PM