Jonny Durango

Default Help w/ field recording budget

I am president of a club at my school that has a budget of about $20,000 to
spend on field recording equipment. This equipment would be used to record
audio only for on-site video shoots such as short movies, commercials and
news, as well as live music direct from a mixer feed or by using mics. We
would like this equipment to be of the same caliber that you might see if
working for a TV station or big budget film crew. Remember, this is for
audio only, no video. After talking to some local sound crews, I have a very
rough base for a budget and was hoping that you all could help me fill in
the holes (ie. mixer, mics, belt power, blimps, etc.)

Here is the proposed budget so far

HHB Portadrive 24-bit 96khz portable hard disk recorder $10,800
Brunton Solo 2 5000-watt power supply/battery $700
stereo pair of Earthworks QTC-1 mics $1,700

What we already have:
2 fish poles
3 lapel mics
3 generic shotguns mics (anatares)

The cameras all use mini dv and most are Panasonic DVX-100a's. Tapes from
the cam go into sony dsr11 decks for video post. I believe the cameras use
SMPTE timecode. Audio post would go into protools 6.

Obviously we will need more mics to work for different types of field
recording situations, also a good mixer, and basically things like cables
and windscreens. Can any of you guys make suggestions about what gear to add
or what to change? Thanks a ton!

ps: would a multi channel mixer/hd recorder (like roland or tascam) work
just as well?

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

Richard Crowley

"Jonny Durango" wrote ...
I am president of a club at my school that has a budget of about
$20,000 to spend on field recording equipment. This equipment
would be used to record audio only for on-site video shoots such
as short movies, commercials and news, as well as live music
direct from a mixer feed or by using mics. We would like this
equipment to be of the same caliber that you might see if working
for a TV station or big budget film crew. Remember, this is for
audio only, no video. After talking to some local sound crews,
I have a very rough base for a budget and was hoping that you
all could help me fill in the holes (ie. mixer, mics, belt power,
blimps, etc.)

Very stongly recommend posting this question on the newsgroup
specific for your application:
news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound despite the name, both
video and film sound recording are discussed daily by working
professionals in the field, including high-end feature production.
It is the most on-topic and professional of the ~dozen newsgroups
that I read.

There are some very well-established favorites in the area of
microphones that you would do well to consider. You have a
very respectable budget for location sound and you really should
get first-class advice from the people who do it every day.