Silence Seeker

Default PCM to analog converter?

Hi,
I can find lots of products converting stereo analog (RCA inputs) to
PCM digital.
Such as the products here http://tinyurl.com/652t8 or here
http://tinyurl.com/6qyvz.

But I am looking for an end-user product that does exactly the
opposite: convert standart PCM (as in the output of my DVD player) to
stereo analog (2 RCA outputs). It doesn't have to be high end. It
could be the same level/quality as the Radio Shack signal converter
(http://tinyurl.com/6qyvz).

Where do I find such a product? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Sam
Lucas Tam

(Silence Seeker) wrote in
om:

Hi,
I can find lots of products converting stereo analog (RCA inputs) to
PCM digital.
Such as the products here
http://tinyurl.com/652t8 or here
http://tinyurl.com/6qyvz.

But I am looking for an end-user product that does exactly the
opposite: convert standart PCM (as in the output of my DVD player) to
stereo analog (2 RCA outputs). It doesn't have to be high end. It
could be the same level/quality as the Radio Shack signal converter
(http://tinyurl.com/6qyvz).

If it's for your DVD player... why don't you just use the analog outputs?

Or feed the PCM signal into your home theater receiver (or any receiver for
that matter) and you can get the analog signal through your pre-outs. If
you have no-preouts... you can get the signal from the speaker level
outputs - just get a speaker level to line level converter.

--
Lucas Tam )
Silence Seeker

Lucas Tam wrote:

But I am looking for an end-user product that does exactly the
opposite: convert standart PCM (as in the output of my DVD player) to
stereo analog (2 RCA outputs). It doesn't have to be high end. It
could be the same level/quality as the Radio Shack signal converter
(http://tinyurl.com/6qyvz).

If it's for your DVD player... why don't you just use the analog outputs?

Well, my DVD player can output either PCM *or* analog at any given time,
but never simultaneously. I have this special need of feeding the output
of my player to another analog device while it is playing through my
DENON AVR-1601 receiver, which does *not* have pre-outs for digital input.

My particular situation is somewhat complicated/unique and if you are
curious, you can read about it in an older posting of mine:
http://tinyurl.com/3nazs

I am just trying to find a low cost solution to a stupid problem created
by the fact that DENON chose to *not* provide pre-outs for digital
inputs (no need for another DAC in the product, just wire to an extra
RCA jacks the same analog outputs that go from the the DAC to the
amplifier...)

If you have no-preouts... you can get the signal from the speaker level
outputs - just get a speaker level to line level converter.

I guess I will have to check that option, but just in case I can't for
some reason, do you know of any product that converts PCM to analog?

Thanks,
Sam
Lucas Tam

Silence Seeker wrote in news:41784029.4060507
@yahoo.com:

If you have no-preouts... you can get the signal from the speaker level
outputs - just get a speaker level to line level converter.

I guess I will have to check that option, but just in case I can't for
some reason, do you know of any product that converts PCM to analog?

PCM to Analog is basically what a receiver does ; )

Anyhow, if you're looking for a speaker level to line level device... I
just happen to have an extra one for sale. It's a SoundGate Interface HTLOC
- it's used to convert the center speaker channel to line level so that you
can use your TV for the center channel. I believe the device is rated for
100W.

Otherwise Crutchfield has a similar device for mobile audio which is rated
for 30W.
--
Lucas Tam )
Silence Seeker

Lucas Tam wrote in message . ..
PCM to Analog is basically what a receiver does ; )

You are right - a receiver does this among many other things. However,
I am looking for a device that is much less expensive, smaller and
most importantly - consuming much less power than a receiver.

Anyhow, if you're looking for a speaker level to line level device... I
just happen to have an extra one for sale. It's a SoundGate Interface HTLOC
- it's used to convert the center speaker channel to line level so that you
can use your TV for the center channel. I believe the device is rated for
100W.

Otherwise Crutchfield has a similar device for mobile audio which is rated
for 30W.

Are you referring to a device like the one described here?
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...r_to_line.html

Is your device superior to the one described in the provide URL in any
way?

Thanks,
Sam

Lucas Tam

(Silence Seeker) wrote in
om:

Are you referring to a device like the one described here?
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...r_to_line.html

Is your device superior to the one described in the provide URL in any

Yes it is similar to what that circuit does. The device I have can
handle 100W.

Here are some pictures of the device:

http://members.rogers.com/mshe/IMG_2215.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/mshe/IMG_2216.jpg

I used to use it to convert my rear surround speakers into a line level
signal for use with wireless spakers.

The text on the device says:

Home Theater Center Channel Adapter (03HTLOC)
The SoundGate HTLOC creates a pre-amp level singal that allows a TV's
internal speakers to be used as a home theater center channel speaker
system.

Here is a similar devices you can buy online but is rated only for 30W:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x5Kq6Fb...w.asp?i=101PL2

If you're interested in my device, you can e-mail me at
(remove).

--
Lucas Tam )
Per Stromgren

:

If you have no-preouts... you can get the signal from the speaker level
outputs - just get a speaker level to line level converter.

I guess I will have to check that option, but just in case I can't for
some reason, do you know of any product that converts PCM to analog?

PCM to Analog is basically what a receiver does ; )

If it has digital inputs, that is! What you seem to be looking for is
a D/A converter, of which there are many, designed to be connected to
CD transports or other digital sources.

The above based on that by PCM you Pulse Code Modulation, i.e. a
digital sound signal.

Per.

Silence Seeker

Per Stromgren wrote in message . ..
If it has digital inputs, that is! What you seem to be looking for is
a D/A converter, of which there are many, designed to be connected to
CD transports or other digital sources.

The above based on that by PCM you Pulse Code Modulation, i.e. a
digital sound signal.

Per, thanks. The speaker to line level converter suggested by Tam is a
cool idea but unfortunately doesn't fit my needs, since there are
scenarios where I want to get signal to my analog devices while the
speakers are turned off.

So, back to square one: do you have links/URLs to specific such
products (i.e. "D/A converters"). I am not looking for a chip, but
rather a complete product that is packaged conveniently to receive an
RCA PCM input and output 2 analog RCA outputs. (the days where I had
the time to build something like this from scratch are long gone...)

Thanks,
Sam
Dave Platt

So, back to square one: do you have links/URLs to specific such
products (i.e. "D/A converters"). I am not looking for a chip, but
rather a complete product that is packaged conveniently to receive an
RCA PCM input and output 2 analog RCA outputs. (the days where I had
the time to build something like this from scratch are long gone...)

I believe that most high-end audio salons will be glad to sell you
one. Be warned, they're mostly sold to the carriage trade, and hence
have high prices and (in some cases) less-than-stable manufacturer
reputations attached to them.

Another option is to go to www.cirrus.com, and look up their Crystal
Semiconductor DACs (they're listed under mixed signal, audio/video,
stereo DACs). They have a lot of single-chip converters, and for many
of these they'll sell you a fully-populated evaluation board (e.g.
SPDIF in, stereo analog audio out). Add a power supply and a case and
you're good to go. I believe you can get similar eval boards from
Analog Electronics for their DAC chip - ditto from Wolfson Micro.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Geoff Wood

"Silence Seeker" wrote in message

But I am looking for an end-user product that does exactly the
opposite: convert standart PCM (as in the output of my DVD player) to
stereo analog (2 RCA outputs). It doesn't have to be high end. It
could be the same level/quality as the Radio Shack signal converter
(http://tinyurl.com/6qyvz).

Where do I find such a product?

You should fid such a product just behing the audio output sockets of your
DVD player.

geoff

MOTU 24 IO on PC ? m-z Pro Audio 15 April 10th 04 07:04 PM
for the analog summing crowd - what are you using to AD your stereo mix? hollywood_steve Pro Audio 12 April 9th 04 07:44 PM
Zapco etc D/A converter help! D.D. Car Audio 1 April 5th 04 04:06 AM
Sony Digital Amps (and SACD) vs. Sony Analog Amps banspeakerports High End Audio 0 February 8th 04 06:18 PM
fostex D2424LV simultaneous digital and analog recording ispossible michael cleary Pro Audio 1 October 15th 03 02:50 AM