Jim

Default Source for Power Caps.(2) Needed: 22,000 uF, 80WV, 85°C

A week ago I emailed BHC Aerovox, Nichicon and several other
manufacturers, who advertise high quality power capacitors, but they
have not responded. Several others responded saying they don't carry
this cap. value. Where can I go to obtain high quality power caps.?

I need a pair of replacement power capacitors to replace the one's
originally manufactured by Nichicon and marked as follows

CE W
Nichicon 85°C
22,000 uf
80WV
60322

Application: One cap. is used on the power supply +60VDC rail and
another on the -60VDC rail.

Insulation color: black
Dia.=63.5 mm (desired to maintain this value for mtg. reasons)
Height approx. 120 mm (approx. max. ht.)
Spacing betwn screw terms = 28.6 mm

I'd like to upgrade to a higher voltage and temp. e.g. 105°C, if feasible.

Increasing cap. value is worth considering if the associated circuitry
can deal with the extended inrush current, etc.

What value of ESR (meas. freq.?) is desirable for these caps used in a
120W (8 ohm) audio power amplifier?

Thanks for your help and recommendations. Jim

In article , Jim wrote:

[...]
I need a pair of replacement power capacitors to replace the one's
originally manufactured by Nichicon and marked as follows

CE W
Nichicon 85°C
22,000 uf
80WV
60322

Application: One cap. is used on the power supply +60VDC rail and
another on the -60VDC rail.

Insulation color: black
Dia.=63.5 mm (desired to maintain this value for mtg. reasons)
Height approx. 120 mm (approx. max. ht.)
Spacing betwn screw terms = 28.6 mm

I'd like to upgrade to a higher voltage and temp. e.g. 105°C, if feasible.

Higher voltage? As someone else noted, why? The existing caps
at 80 volts have lots of margin with the current 60 volt rails.
No need to change for that reason. Panasonic has an item of the
size you seek, at 100 volts, but its capacitance is 18000 uF.

And unless your amp is running so hot you can't touch it,
the increased temperature rating only brings you increased cost.

Increasing cap. value is worth considering if the associated circuitry
can deal with the extended inrush current, etc.

What value of ESR (meas. freq.?) is desirable for these caps used in a
120W (8 ohm) audio power amplifier?

Not a big deal for audio applications using screw terminal caps as
these tend to have low ESRs on the order of a few dozen milliohms max.
I have some 32000 uF 60 V which measure around 10 milliohms, and at
ripple current of 10 amps (which is a LOT) I^2R losses are about a watt.

On the other hand, P**k is having some problems with one of their
subwoofers - the caps are tiny little guys rated at 4700 uF 35V
(I'm guessing ESR isn't the lowest), but the supply runs about 36 V,
the caps are mounted right by the heatsinks, and they go like popcorn.

Long story short, your supply caps are fine. Spend a hundred bucks or more
if you want to, but I'd be astonished if there were any real difference.

Francois.