Jim

Default Source for Power Caps.(2) Needed: 22,000 uF, 80WV, 85°C

A week ago I emailed BHC Aerovox, Nichicon and several other
manufacturers, who advertise high quality power capacitors, but they
have not responded. Several others responded saying they don't carry
this cap. value. Where can I go to obtain high quality power caps.?

I need a pair of replacement power capacitors to replace the one's
originally manufactured by Nichicon and marked as follows

CE W
Nichicon 85°C
22,000 uf
80WV
60322

Application: One cap. is used on the power supply +60VDC rail and
another on the -60VDC rail.

Insulation color: black
Dia.=63.5 mm (desired to maintain this value for mtg. reasons)
Height approx. 120 mm (approx. max. ht.)
Spacing betwn screw terms = 28.6 mm

I'd like to upgrade to a higher voltage and temp. e.g. 105°C, if feasible.

Increasing cap. value is worth considering if the associated circuitry
can deal with the extended inrush current, etc.

What value of ESR (meas. freq.?) is desirable for these caps used in a
120W (8 ohm) audio power amplifier?

Thanks for your help and recommendations. Jim
TonyP

"Jim" wrote in message ...
A week ago I emailed BHC Aerovox, Nichicon and several other
manufacturers, who advertise high quality power capacitors, but they
have not responded. Several others responded saying they don't carry
this cap. value. Where can I go to obtain high quality power caps.?

I need a pair of replacement power capacitors to replace the one's
originally manufactured by Nichicon and marked as follows

CE W
Nichicon 85°C
22,000 uf
80WV
60322

Application: One cap. is used on the power supply +60VDC rail and
another on the -60VDC rail.

Two 10,000uF in parallel per side, (4 total) will give the same performance.
These are more readily available.

I'd like to upgrade to a higher voltage and temp. e.g. 105°C, if feasible.

80V rating should be adequate for a 60v supply. 105°C is good if you can
find them, or make sure the box is well ventilated.

Increasing cap. value is worth considering if the associated circuitry
can deal with the extended inrush current, etc.

Will provide no real benefit for a 120W amp.

What value of ESR (meas. freq.?) is desirable for these caps used in a
120W (8 ohm) audio power amplifier?

Lower is better. Consider the ripple current rating as well.

TonyP.

Eric K. Weber

Try here.....
http://www.chemi-con.com/files/U32DU32DH9.pdf

Looks like their 39,000uf at 100V 105c is the closest in physical size.....
same diameter slightly shorter than your measurement 2.5in x 4.625".....
the original was...63.5mm=2.5in 120mm=4.72in

If your distributor does not stock the U32 series you could try U36 85c
units...

The 33,000uf at 100V 85c is the closest 85c unit....

http://www.chemi-con.com/files/U36DU36DH9.pdf

Finding someone with units in stock might be more of a challenge...

Rgds:
Eric

"Jim" wrote in message ...
[...]

John Walton

Newark Electronics (www.newark.com):
United Chemicon 36DA223F100CD2A
$33 each

you can also try Electronic Surplus in Cleveland, but the prior generation
of electrolytics is quite large compared to current production units.

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

Damon Hill

Jim wrote in :

A week ago I emailed BHC Aerovox, Nichicon and several other
manufacturers, who advertise high quality power capacitors, but they
have not responded. Several others responded saying they don't carry
this cap. value. Where can I go to obtain high quality power caps.?

I need a pair of replacement power capacitors to replace the one's
originally manufactured by Nichicon and marked as follows

CE W
Nichicon 85°C
22,000 uf
80WV
60322

http://www.percyaudio.com/catalog.pdf

See page 8. Nichicon KG series. They're not cheap.

--Damon

Eric K. Weber

The KG series is snap lug not screw.... He needs the NR or NT series....

http://www.nichicon-us.com/english/s...rg/param_f.htm

Part number LNR1K223MSM appears to be the proper p/n for the original
unit.....

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&han...000&crc =true

A non stock item minimum order 4 at $29.22 delivery might be very slow as
Nichicon shows no US inventory....

As a result John's suggestion from Newark is your best bet....

Rgds:
Eric

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
34...
Jim wrote in :

A week ago I emailed BHC Aerovox, Nichicon and several other
manufacturers, who advertise high quality power capacitors, but they
have not responded. Several others responded saying they don't carry
this cap. value. Where can I go to obtain high quality power caps.?

I need a pair of replacement power capacitors to replace the one's
originally manufactured by Nichicon and marked as follows

CE W
Nichicon 85°C
22,000 uf
80WV
60322

http://www.percyaudio.com/catalog.pdf

See page 8. Nichicon KG series. They're not cheap.

--Damon

Pooh Bear

Jim wrote:

[...]

Why ?

What reason ?

and temp. e.g. 105°C, if feasible.

If it's not running hot - you don't need 105C.

Increasing cap. value is worth considering if the associated circuitry
can deal with the extended inrush current, etc.

What value of ESR (meas. freq.?) is desirable for these caps used in a
120W (8 ohm) audio power amplifier?

Bulk storage caps used at line frequency aren't often given a specific ESR
rating since it's rarely critical. This is more of an issue for SMPS caps @
100kHz. You might be more interested in ripple current but unless it's a
heavily driven PA amp, just about any modern electrolytic will be just fine.
22000 uF will havea high ripple current rating anyway.

You'll find that although 80V caps are listed in manufacturers' catalogues,
most distributors only normally stock 63V and then 100V.

63V is adequate for your application although you may need to spec a higher
voltage to make it big enough !

You should be looking at which manufacturer meets your dimensions really.
Modern caps have shrunk a lot due to developments in materials.

Screw terminal types are rare these days btw. Most ppl pcb mount.

Check out www.farnell.com

Graham

Pooh Bear

John Walton wrote:

Newark Electronics (www.newark.com):
United Chemicon 36DA223F100CD2A
$33 each

Ouch !

Graham

Kalman Rubinson

I have a pair of Sprague Powerlytic 36D caps sitting here.
22,000 - 75VDC

If you are in or will be in NYC, you can pick them up for VERY few $$.

Kal

On 21 Oct 2004 03:46:55 EDT, Jim wrote:

[...]

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:07:00 +0100, Pooh Bear
wrote:

I'd like to upgrade to a higher voltage

Why ?

What reason ?

So he can persuade himself it sounds better ? :-)