Just Allan

Default Good Cool Edit tutorial?

Does anyone know of a (good) Cool Edit tutorial on the web for
converting tapes to CD?

I recorded a *.wav file of a cassette tonight. Assuming it would be
best to record using the highest sample rate, remove noise etc. then
convert back down to 44k, I did so - and it still sounds like the
chipmunks. (sigh). I have a lot of sealed music cassettes too - so
would like to get the best possible result.

Anyone?

Allan.
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:53:12 +1000, Just Allan
wrote:

Does anyone know of a (good) Cool Edit tutorial on the web for
converting tapes to CD?

I recorded a *.wav file of a cassette tonight. Assuming it would be
best to record using the highest sample rate, remove noise etc. then
convert back down to 44k, I did so - and it still sounds like the
chipmunks. (sigh). I have a lot of sealed music cassettes too - so
would like to get the best possible result.

"Like chipmunks" meaning the speed and/or pitch was grossly wrong?

If you present the input of your sound card with a suitable
(impendence and level) signal, Cool Edit will record it. I can't
think of much to tell you except "Press the red button".

Make sure you're feeding Line Out of a reasonably good quality
cassette deck into Line In of your soundcard. If you have no other
way of adjusting the level, get a small mixing board to control it.

Attempting to use Headphone Out of a portable player, or Mic In of a
cheap soundcard is going to cause problems.
Richard Crowley

"Just Allan" wrote ...
Does anyone know of a (good) Cool Edit tutorial on the
web for converting tapes to CD?

Specific questions would likely be answered competently
here. Many CoolEdit/Audition users here. This topic has
also been discussed here (and in news:rec.audio.pro)
several times before. A few quality milliseconds with your
friend http://groups.google.com will find you several hours
of reading material.

I recorded a *.wav file of a cassette tonight. Assuming it
would be best to record using the highest sample rate, remove
noise etc. then convert back down to 44k,

Highly debatable. At least IMHO. Obviously more work,
and potentially more problematic (as you just demonstrated).

I did so - and it still sounds like the chipmunks. (sigh).

Sounds like you just changed the sampling "rate" and didn't
actually "resample". This takes the same samples and plays
them back at a different speed (like changing the speed on
a tape recorder).

"Adjust Sample Rate - FYI: This just changes the sound card
playback rate. To resample the existing audio to a new sample
rate, use Convert Sample Type" Direct quote from the Adjust
Sample Rate function in Adobe Audition.

I have a lot of sealed music cassettes too - so would like
to get the best possible result.

Just sample at 44.1K, process at 44.1K and write your CDs
from a native 44.1K file. No likely benefit from "oversampling"
something as low-quality as audio cassettes. FAR more benefit
from making sure that the playback deck is optimized (even
tuning head azmuth for each individual side of each tape.)