S. S.

Default newbie question don't laugh: but what is that sticky stuff near the counterweight of the tonearm

As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.
Mark A

"S. S." wrote in message
om...
As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Are we supposed to guess what turntable and tonearm you have? Believe it or
not, not all tonearms are the same. That does not sound like something
normal.

Jeff Wiseman

"S. S." wrote:

As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

This is only a guess but frequently there is some kind of
calibration guage or markings on the front of the counterweight.
On some models this was accomplished using a printed label with
an adhesive backing that was stuck to the front of the
counterweight assembly. If your calibration guage is missing, the
sticky residue may be what was left of its adhesive backing where
it was attached to the counterweight.

- Jeff

BOB URZ

"S. S." wrote:

As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Probably a form of vicious silicon used to damp the tone arms motion
going up and down. I used to get it in little metal tubes like model
airplane
glue. It might have come out of the vertical tone arm damper.

BOB

Dave Platt

As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Probably a form of vicious silicon used to damp the tone arms motion
going up and down.

Vicious is right. Put on the wrong album, and it'll have its teeth in
your throat before you know it.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Mark D. Zacharias

I think it's just silicon oil used to keep the counterweight from moving
around on it's own. It would have the added benefit of damping some
vibration in that part of the arm assembly.

Mark Z.

"S. S." wrote in message
om...
As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Allen Reny

"S. S." wrote in message
om...
As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Once, I head an idiotphile claim that a bit of chewing-gum stuck
at an appropriate place on the tone arm made vinyl records sound
much, much better ....

:-)

--
Allen Reny.
http://www.a-reny.com

Michael R. Kesti

Martin wrote:

Hmm, I bet sugarless would have better dampening properties.

That depends only on its water content which is typically going to
decrease with time.

I wonder whether sugerless gum would have better damping properties.

;-)

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
Michael R. Kesti

Martin wrote:

Hmm, I bet sugarless would have better dampening properties.

That depends only on its water content which is typically going to
decrease with time.

I wonder whether sugerless gum would have better damping properties.

;-)

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
Martin

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

Hmm, I bet sugarless would have better dampening properties.

That depends only on its water content which is typically going to
decrease with time.

I wonder whether sugerless gum would have better damping properties.

;-)

I imagine that the sugar crystals would vibrate at certain
frequencies and defeat the dampening.

Kevin McMurtrie

Martin wrote:

Hmm, I bet sugarless would have better dampening properties.

That depends only on its water content which is typically going to
decrease with time.

I wonder whether sugerless gum would have better damping properties.

;-)

I imagine that the sugar crystals would vibrate at certain
frequencies and defeat the dampening.

Sugar would probably help because the crystals would be impedance
mismatches inside the gum. You'd never manage a standing wave.

(How long before this gets added to an "audiophile" web site next to the
replacement power cords that makes your once dull system sound like
magic?)

Tim Padrick

Some counterweights have a plastic liner, and between this liner and the
weight is a rubber sleeve. The sleeve is there to dampen vibration between
the weight and the tonearm. In some arms, this sleeve was made of uncured
rubber. Uncured rubber is ok at first, but eventually turns into a sticky
goo. This might be what you are describing.

"S. S." wrote in message
om...
As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Nothing40

Kevin McMurtrie wrote in message ...

Martin wrote:

Hmm, I bet sugarless would have better dampening properties.

That depends only on its water content which is typically going to
decrease with time.

I wonder whether sugerless gum would have better damping properties.

;-)

I imagine that the sugar crystals would vibrate at certain
frequencies and defeat the dampening.

Sugar would probably help because the crystals would be impedance
mismatches inside the gum. You'd never manage a standing wave.

(How long before this gets added to an "audiophile" web site next to the
replacement power cords that makes your once dull system sound like
magic?)

My question with those is,What about the 10-100 miles of wire,and
transformers BEFORE your dandy outlet,and power cord.. For the
prices,you'd think they'd "fix" that too. ;-)

Tim Schwartz

Hello all,

Sorry I did not see the beginning of the thread, but another 'sticky
stuff' that can appear near the base of the tonearm is the silicon
damping fluid/compound that slows the decent of the arm when the cueing
lever is release, instead of having the stylus plummet and crash against
the record. I've certainly seen this on some Dual and B-I-C turntables.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Tim Padrick wrote:

Some counterweights have a plastic liner, and between this liner and the
weight is a rubber sleeve. The sleeve is there to dampen vibration between
the weight and the tonearm. In some arms, this sleeve was made of uncured
rubber. Uncured rubber is ok at first, but eventually turns into a sticky
goo. This might be what you are describing.

"S. S." wrote in message
om...
As the subject suggested this is a stupid question from a newbie. I
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.

Glen Cuyler Glen Cuyler is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. S. View Post
wonder what is the sticky glue-like stuff in dark color that is near
the counterweight whole where the armtube goes through.
I had the same experience with a Linn Basik LV X tone arm, the "old" rubber bushing which used to be stuck to the inner Plastic collar that drives the Dial / Counterweight assy had turned to a sticky tar-like mess.

There was a fix for this on Vinalengine.com, which works very well, except on mine the prevoiuse owner of th T.T. had used loctite and when these were removed the heads were damaged.
NOW,
I have not been able to find these tiny tiny grubscrews anywhere and am using the counterweight sans dial, an awkward arrangement, so, if anybody has trashed their LV X tone arm weight, and would think of getting rid of same, I am really hard up for one, at areasonable price of course.

Glen Cuyler

Benoni

South Africa.