Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vermontjazz@gmail.com is offline

Default Sets of RAP CDs

Hey all - Happy New Year!
Rich [StoMo] from Stolen Moments Audio [in VT] here.

I haven't visited rec.audio.pro for a few years. Glad to see it still exists - even in limited form. People on this forum were such a great help to me personally as I was trying to devour as much as I could about music production and recording.

It's time to clean out & dismantle the home studio - and I ran across a few sets of RAP CD's WITH PROGRAMS & NOTES for some - that I compiled. I'd like them to go to the best use for the most people. It is quite a treasure chest of audio education.

So -- I'm looking for suggestions on how to do that. I don't suspect that anyone will mass produce these again but (licensing aside) it wouldn't be the worst idea.

I believe I have 5 CD volumes + the record from Scott. But it will take me a bit to gather them and organize them. For that (and shipping) I'll expect token compensation.

If I don't get responses to that end here, I may go to the auction site.

Best...
Rich
vermontjazz - at - gee-mail - dot - com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
It's time to clean out & dismantle the home studio - and I ran across a few sets of RAP CD's WITH PROGRAMS & NOTES for some - that I compiled. I'd like them to go to the best use for the most people. It is quite a treasure chest of audio education.

Oh no! Are you shutting down?

I think somehow donating a set of discs and notes to a school of music might
not be a bad plan. I will say, though, that I am missing a couple of the sets
because someone borrowed them and did not return them decades ago, and I
-really- wish I still had the liner notes to The Man's cut...

I believe I have 5 CD volumes + the record from Scott. But it will take me a bit to gather them and organize them. For that (and shipping) I'll expect token compensation.

I have maybe another fifty LPs in storage somewhere. They're under a couple
crates of renaissance harp LPs and filk music LPs, and I'd also like them to
have a more useful home.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Pollack Peter Pollack is offline

I had a really nice conversation with Mark McQuilken a while back. I dont know him really; I had just contacted him about some parts. We reminisced about the old days on r.a.p...such a great, active group with excellent info and camaraderie.

Gearslutz is no substitute. Bedroom recordists extolling the virtues of consumer grade crap. What kind of toob would work best in my ART TubeMix? This Waves plugin makes all my mixes AMAZING. Sigh. I studied audio at Columbia College. Did my graduate work here on rec.audio.pro. Kids nowadays have nothing. Not even a decent newsreader. Bums me out.

Pete
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr2 Dr2 is offline

On 2/15/2019 8:04 PM, Peter Pollack wrote:
I had a really nice conversation with Mark McQuilken a while back. I dont know him really; I had just contacted him about some parts. We reminisced about the old days on r.a.p...such a great, active group with excellent info and camaraderie.

Gearslutz is no substitute. Bedroom recordists extolling the virtues of consumer grade crap. What kind of toob would work best in my ART TubeMix? This Waves plugin makes all my mixes AMAZING. Sigh. I studied audio at Columbia College. Did my graduate work here on rec.audio.pro. Kids nowadays have nothing. Not even a decent newsreader. Bums me out.

Pete

I feel your pain, Pete. Not long ago I had a young (20-something) kid
argue with me about MP3 files. His assertion was that MP3's were
higher quality than his original CD copies... and that he was actually
"up-sampling" them by this conversion to the magical format. Of
course, his proof was in listening tests with his favorite ear-buds.
SMH...
How many red flags can you get in one short conversation? I miss the
old days of not only R.A.P. but music in general. Those sensibilities
might never come back. I'm done holding my breath.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 17/02/2019 2:47 pm, Dr2 wrote:
I feel your pain, Pete.** Not long ago I had a young (20-something) kid
argue with me about MP3 files.** His assertion was that MP3's were
higher quality than his original CD copies... and that he was actually
"up-sampling" them by this conversion to the magical format.*** Of
course, his proof was in listening tests with his favorite ear-buds.

I've heard worse. We had a local HiFi magazine editor argue that MP3's
were better than CD 20 years ago. Then later deny he ever said it when
he realised what a fool he had made of himself! :-)