Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Any thoughts on the Hsu ULS-15

I have to replace my current speakers and I am thinking of a
mini-monitor/subwoofer setup. The Hsu ULS-15 appears to have the most
bang for the buck plus Hsu Research, at least in the past, was highly
regarded. However, I have heard or read very little about the company
and its products in recent years and they don't actually have a dealer
network.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DJ[_3_] DJ[_3_] is offline

I used to be a Hsu dealer until they went (like quite a few high-end
manufactures) factory-direct about a decade ago. Hsu is a very good
product, although may not be the best value on the internet.

With the above being said, you might consider the Dayton T1503A as a better
value. At considerably under $1k, it is comparable in real-world
performance as the ULS-15 at more than twice the price. I guess you're
really just paying $1k for the finish with Hsu.

If finish a furniture grade wood or paint finish is at the top of your list,
you might consider a DIY system with a Dayton cabinet finished in Cherry,
Maple, or Gloss Black and adding the Dayton Titanic 15" and 1000-watt
amplifier (either as a separate or on-board) and you're still at half of the
Hsu if you like working with your hands.

I personally would rather spend more of the money on a highly regarded
minimonitor and stands and save on the powered subwoofer system. Feel free
to ask me my opinions on minimonitor recommendations or if I can be of any
assistance.

Sincerely,

-DJ
High-End Dealer Since 1996

"Robert Peirce" wrote in message
I have to replace my current speakers and I am thinking of a
mini-monitor/subwoofer setup. The Hsu ULS-15 appears to have the most
bang for the buck plus Hsu Research, at least in the past, was highly
regarded. However, I have heard or read very little about the company
and its products in recent years and they don't actually have a dealer
network.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

In article ,
"DJ" wrote:

I personally would rather spend more of the money on a highly regarded
minimonitor and stands and save on the powered subwoofer system.

I was thinking of going that way and may in the end. However, right now
Hsu has a modestly priced mini-monitor that is matched to the subwoofer.
Since matching can be a serious problem I think I will try these first.
As ScottW pointed out, they can be returned in thirty days if they don't
work out.

A related issue is I am not as critical as I used to be. I am currently
enjoying an old pair of Advent speakers. They don't sound anywhere near
as good as the Apogee Divas but they do sound good if all you really
want to do is enjoy some music.