Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default DAC Differences

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike. But
using the same computer to feed all three DACs from the computer's USB
ports (all three are Asynchronous USB using the same TI USB receiver
chip) and carefully matching levels, I have found that they all sound
different, and while all are good, the Ayre QB-9, even though it's only
24/96 KHz (as is the DragonFly) is head and shoulders above the other
two. The DragonFly is an excellent product, but the Ayre simply has more
"there" there. For the first time, I was able to notice that on a jazz
album that I have had in vinyl form, CD, and SACD and now via a 24/96
download from HDTRacks, and have been listening to (in one form or
another) for probably close to 30 years, the pianist is playing a
Fender-Rhodes electric piano (or something very similar) and not the
Brazilian "tinpanola" that I always assumed he was playing. I couldn't
tell the difference with with the vinyl record, the CD or the SACD and
couldn't tell it from any of the DACs i've had on hand until I played
the 24/96 FLAC file through the Ayre Acoustics QB-9. Now I can hear
quite readily and easily that the piano is a mechanical-electric one!

I have heard other differences too that are either glossed over by
lesser DACs or not audible on vinyl. Clearly the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 is
the best DAC this audiophile has ever heard.

Quite a revelation for me.

Audio_Empire
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Audio_Empire wrote:
I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer. If there ever is a
difference detected in a listening test that can't be explained in
terms of such differences it'll be time for physiologists to do some
new fundamental research. Maybe there's a Nobel Prize in it.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer.

And not a very good one at that, for a variety of reasons,
notable drift, susceptibility to external (and often) unrelated
influences, poor dynamic range, long overload recovery, high
noise, poor resolution, high masking, ...

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

Not to mention expectational bias. I have a friend who swears that an
AudioQuest USB cable with a "bias" battery attached makes a big,
positive difference when swapped in place of a standard computer-type
USB cable, even though he KNOWS, on an intellectual level, that this is
scientifically impossible.

Here's a question...

What the hell is a battery connected to a cable with ONE lead (not even
a return lead to complete the circuit) supposed to do anyway? No wonder
they say that the battery lasts "for years". with only one terminal
connected to anything, battery life would be, essentially, the battery's
shelf life. Now I'm only a poor electronics engineer, but I was taught
at a power supply (or battery) with one lead left floating, is a
disconnected battery or power supply/ Can someone please explain to me
what this "bias" on a cable is supposed to accomplish?

BTW, I saw a printed ad recently for cables from a company called
Shunyata Research (or something similar). I found it almost funny
because the ad shows a series of three supposed oscilloscope photos. The
top one shows a square-wave labeled "the source" signal (ostensibly
using a low-reactance real oscilloscope probe/lead) and it is properly
square. The next picture shows, ostensibly, the same signal through a
"competitor's" cable and it is quite rounded on the leading edge of the
square wave showing a slow rise time. The final picture shows the ad's
product square wave and it is a lot less rounded off on the rising edge
(having a much shorter rise time). This is real impressive UNTIL one
looks closely at the oscilloscope data that is listed next to the three
oscilloscope traces. The frequency at which these pictures were made was
ONE-HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ! It certainly shows that the Shunyata Research
cables are superior to their competition as FM lead in wire from the
antenna, but I'm at a loss as to what relevance this has to either
tested sample as an audio interconnect! Who do they think that they are
fooling, anyway?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Andrew Haley" wrote in message
Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer. If there ever is a
difference detected in a listening test that can't be explained in
terms of such differences it'll be time for physiologists to do some
new fundamental research. Maybe there's a Nobel Prize in it.

This seems especially relevant, as the preferred device the Aye QB-9 has
signficiant frequency response abberations in the normal audible range.

Please see:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...c-measurements

It appears that the device may be up to 3.5 dB down at 20 Khz.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

It attracts money ...

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article , isw

Audio_Empire wrote:

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

That's about the best (and probably the most accurate) answer to that
question that anyone could possibly give, Isaac. I can't think of any
reason why this would work and the company's explanation of "polarizing
the dielectric" to achieve better conductivity of the cable and to
reduce dielectric absorption makes no sense. you can't polarize anything
with a single battery pole.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Be my guest, but anyone who cannot hear the differences between DACs
must have SOMETHING wrong with them. I.E. they must be either unable to
hear those differences or they have talked themselves into not hearing
them (this would be the "delusional" part to which I was referring).
People delude themselves about things every day in order to protect
their own core values and opinions in their own minds. It's hardly a
mental disorder, more likely, it's human nature.

Oh, come on, no-one is saying that. What has been said is that if
components don't sound alike there is some good reason such as gross
differences of level, frequency response, noise, or distortion -- all
things that can easily be seen on a spectrum analyzer. This isn't
surprising: the ear is a spectrum analyzer. If there ever is a
difference detected in a listening test that can't be explained in
terms of such differences it'll be time for physiologists to do some
new fundamental research. Maybe there's a Nobel Prize in it.

This seems especially relevant, as the preferred device the Aye QB-9 has
signficiant frequency response abberations in the normal audible range.

You consider 20+ KHz to be in the normal audible range? I didn't know
that Mr. Kruger had canine hearing (I'm impressed!). Most humans over
about the age of 20 can't hear 16 KHz, much less higher.

Please see:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...c-measurements

It appears that the device may be up to 3.5 dB down at 20 Khz.

Oh, contraire, sir! Figure 4. showing frequency response, clearly
displays that the Ayre QB-9 is but a HALF of a dB down at 20 KHz at
96KHz sampling rate. (all my listening tests were done at 24-bit, 96
KHz) and doesn't reach -3.5 dB until just below 45 KHz!

While at 44.1 KHz, OTOH, it looks to be about -3.5 dB (or greater) on
the top end, I suspect that that cutoff frequency is a bit above 22KHz,
which is as it should be with a 44.1 KHz sampling frequency per Nyquist.
The chart hasn't enough resolution to tell exactly at which frequency
the roll-off becomes really steep, but it would make sense that it's
above 22 KHz. Even if it were 20 KHz, nobody could hear it well enough
for it sound, somehow "wrong".
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Be my guest, but anyone who cannot hear the differences between DACs
must have SOMETHING wrong with them. I.E. they must be either unable to
hear those differences or they have talked themselves into not hearing
them (this would be the "delusional" part to which I was referring).

But seriously, how can you possibly know that? Hi-fi buffs hear all
kinds of things, for example the unconnected battery you mentioned
earlier. None of us is immune to this kind of thing; not you, not me.

An "audibly perfect" DAC chip can be had for a few dollars. All an
audio manufacturer has to do is package it, provide it with a decent
power supply and maybe a buffer stage, and not mess it up. That's not
trivial, but neither is it something that an electronics engineer
would find terribly challenging. Of course, a manufacturer might
choose to make their DAC different from others by some deviation from
an ideal response.

People delude themselves about things every day in order to protect
their own core values and opinions in their own minds. It's hardly a
mental disorder, more likely, it's human nature.

Well, yes. But of course that arrow points both ways.

[...]

I wouldn't have thought so either.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

You're correct. There is no way way for me to know why someone else
cannot hear the differences in DACs. That's why I only speculated about
the reasons they can't hear such great differences, and did not say for
sure. I don't know, for sure, honestly. I just know that DACs are all
over the place with regard to the way they sound, and those differences
are consistent and repeatable, even under blind and double-blind test
conditions.

An "audibly perfect" DAC chip can be had for a few dollars. All an
audio manufacturer has to do is package it, provide it with a decent
power supply and maybe a buffer stage, and not mess it up. That's not
trivial, but neither is it something that an electronics engineer
would find terribly challenging. Of course, a manufacturer might
choose to make their DAC different from others by some deviation from
an ideal response.

Like you, I doubt if the D/A chip itself is the reason for these vast
differences in DAC sound. It's the way the rest of the circuit is
designed, from power supplies, to filtering, to the analog circuitry
driving the output as you say. It's rare to find a cheap DAC that sounds
as good as a more expensive one due to cost constraints when designing
to a price. For instance, the $250 DragonFly is a great product. It
raises the bar considerably on sub-$1000 DACs, but against the Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 it loses out in terms of low-end impact, transient
response, and detail recovery. As far as frequency response is
concerned, there seems to be little difference either in listening or in
measurement (compare the two tested frequency response curves between
the Ayre and the DragonFly in Stereophile's archives. They are very
similar until you get to things like impulse response, HF jitter
spectrum plots, and the like, and it becomes clear that while the
DragonFly measures very good, the Ayre with it's "apodizing" filter is
better.

People delude themselves about things every day in order to protect
their own core values and opinions in their own minds. It's hardly a
mental disorder, more likely, it's human nature.

Well, yes. But of course that arrow points both ways.

Of course it does. All humans are susceptible to prejudice, and
different types and levels of bias, both conscious and unconscious.
That's why biases must be controlled and tests need to be devised to
either set those biases aside or make them apparent to all participants
in the test as well as all of those who analyze the results.

[...]

True enough.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

Or why they can. Or if, for that matter,

That's why I only speculated about the reasons they can't hear such
great differences, and did not say for sure. I don't know, for sure,
honestly. I just know that DACs are all over the place with regard
to the way they sound, and those differences are consistent and
repeatable, even under blind and double-blind test conditions.

Well, you've said that before, and you've been asked to come up with
something to support it, and all you've described is poorly conducted
tests with little in the way of analysis. That's hardly enough to set
the knowledge of the mechanism of hearing on its head.

And that's the point really. If there could be just one decent gold-
plated double-blind test of high-quality audio DACs that really did
reveal a statistically significant difference then it'd be fascinating
to find out why. In many ways I'd love it to be true.

Andrew.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Doug McDonald wrote:

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

On 11/17/2012 3:12 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
Doug McDonald wrote:

But except for measurable changes in frequency response, I can't
hear differences in DACs these days. And those measurable differences,
of course, have to be below 13.8 kHz.

I bet you can because most of the audible differences in modern DACs
aren't in the frequency domain. They affect other things such as
low-level information retrieval, imaging, and distortion + noise.

You would be betting wrong! And thus, I am a very fortunate person.
I have tried and tried to hear things other people can, or claim
they can. And I almost never can hear differences in electronic
components (and that includes anything digital.) I can't hear differences
in the phase response of anti-alias filters ... even if I make
special .wav files with the brick-wall cutoff at 13.8 kHz. I'm hard put to
hear them with the brick wall at 5 kHz so long as its only a phase
difference.

That's probably not as rare a "shortcoming" as you might think. I
suspect that many audio enthusiasts are in the same boat you are. They
simply cannot hear certain characteristics in reproduced music. But
remember, there is no such thing as a "golden-eared" audiophile. Anyone
can train themselves (I'm convinced) to have the kind of hearing acuity
that some called "golden ears". But it takes years of listening and
remembering what you hear. I know people who are extremely sensitive to
frequency response aberrations yet are extremely insensitive to what I
would consider large amounts of distortion and I know some to which the
opposite is true. It depends, in large part, to what aspect of
reproduction is most important to you.

But ... when listening to speakers, or microphones, or actual music
(comparative
performances), I hear what other people hear.

Like I said. You have to train your hearing to recognize those things in
electronics that are not right.

Nor can I hear the problems (which are of course easily measurable) in
224 or even 192 kbps mp3 files encoded by LAME. Sometimes ...
but only sometimes ... I can't hear them at 128 kbps VBR encoded by LAME
at its best-try setting.

I can hear MP3 artifacts at 128 kbps through a good set of headphones,
but not on speakers, but I can hear artifacts on speakers from MP3s
encoded at 64 kbps. I cannot hear 192 kbps or higher under any
circumstances.

Thus, being the fortunate person I am, I proceed to spend my
money on enlarging my mp3 library, and watching my bank account
grow so as to be able to pop down a bundle when my current speakers
eventually die.

More power to you.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

Well, that's true. But I'm not trying "to set the knowledge of the
mechanism of hearing on its head". I'm reporting what I hear. You can
either take me at my word and be motivated enough by what I say to try
listening to a bunch of different DACs yourself, or take what I say with
a grain of salt and do nothing. It really doesn't matter to me.

And that's the point really. If there could be just one decent gold-
plated double-blind test of high-quality audio DACs that really did
reveal a statistically significant difference then it'd be fascinating
to find out why. In many ways I'd love it to be true.

I wish there were as well, but there can't be. The reason is because no
matter how carefully such a test is set up and executed, there will be
people with an emotional or a commercial stake in the point of view that
they are all the same (or that they are all different) who would say
that the test was flawed if the results didn't support their point of
view. The bottom line is that there is no scientific reason, given the
many options for circuit topography and components available to the
designer, why two DACs should sound the same (even if they use the same
D/A chip).

This is an altogether different set of circumstances from speaker cables
and interconnects where there is no scientific reason why they WOULDN'T
sound the same.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

Like you, I doubt if the D/A chip itself is the reason for these vast
differences in DAC sound. It's the way the rest of the circuit is
designed, from power supplies, to filtering, to the analog circuitry
driving the output as you say. It's rare to find a cheap DAC that sounds
as good as a more expensive one due to cost constraints when designing
to a price.

Unexplored is the synergy of the entire system. No DAC exists in a
vacuum. It is somewhere between the source and the speakers. Each
component adds its little bit of distortion and there is always some
small amount of interaction between components. In my opinion, the
cheaper the design the more likely are interactions to occur.

That is why I gave up trying to evaluate individual components outside
my system. If a $100 piece of equipment sounds almost as good as a
$10,000 piece of equipment in my system, why on earth would I want to
spend all the extra money? This applies at any price point, but I think
most of the higher priced stuff is likely to be better controlled, and
therefore, more likely to fit pretty well into any system, while more
poorly designed equipment will reflect its surroundings.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Well, you've said that before, and you've been asked to come up with
something to support it, and all you've described is poorly conducted
tests with little in the way of analysis. That's hardly enough to set
the knowledge of the mechanism of hearing on its head.

Well, that's true. But I'm not trying "to set the knowledge of the
mechanism of hearing on its head". I'm reporting what I hear. You can
either take me at my word and be motivated enough by what I say to try
listening to a bunch of different DACs yourself,

How would that tell me anything? I'm just as prone to hearing things
as anyone else.

or take what I say with a grain of salt and do nothing. It really
doesn't matter to me.

It must matter a bit to you or you wouldn't be posting here.

And that's the point really. If there could be just one decent gold-
plated double-blind test of high-quality audio DACs that really did
reveal a statistically significant difference then it'd be fascinating
to find out why. In many ways I'd love it to be true.

I wish there were as well, but there can't be. The reason is because
no matter how carefully such a test is set up and executed, there
will be people with an emotional or a commercial stake in the point
of view that they are all the same (or that they are all different)
who would say that the test was flawed if the results didn't support
their point of view.

If the test is repeatable then it doesn't matter if people deny it.
You'll be able to say "And yet it moves" just like Galileo did to the
Inquisition, and prove your point to all but the terminally stubborn.
Won't that feel good?

The bottom line is that there is no scientific reason, given the
many options for circuit topography and components available to the
designer, why two DACs should sound the same (even if they use the
same D/A chip).

Sure there is, and I said so a couple of posts ago. I'll repeat it:
if a DAC's imperfections are below the thresholds of hearing, then
those DACs are audibly perfect and therefore indistinguishable from
each other. The question is the levels at which such imperfections
are audible, and I believe our very own Arny Krueger has done some
work in this area.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

I just had an opportunity to compare, in my own system, several
current
USB DACs. One was the new DragonFly by Audioquest, the next was the
Ayre
Acoustics QB-9 and the third was the PS Audio PerfectWave II.

Anybody who thinks that DACs all sound the same, is either deluding
himself (or herself) or simply can't hear. I realize that there have
been a number of fairly high-profile "studies" performed whereby the
results of ABX tests show "conclusively" that all DACs sound alike.

I question the above diagnosis of a mental disorder (delusional) in all
persons who may disagree with the author's opinions.

Be my guest, but anyone who cannot hear the differences between DACs
must have SOMETHING wrong with them.

I will show that above claim above is not logical:

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were as physically identical copies of the same product as is
possible. One might argue for the audilbity of metaphysical differences in
order to believe otherwise. Or one might argue that all copies of the same
product sound different from each other in which case recommending products
by make and model would be illogical.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably identical performance, or as
identical is pracdtically possible. . To say otherwise would represent total
disbelief in the relevance of all audio measurements.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably similar performance that was
within the realm of the sensitivity of human perception to measurable
differences To say otherwise would represent total disbelief in the
relevance of all existing knowlege of human perception.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 11/18/2012 7:59 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

snip

That is why I gave up trying to evaluate individual components outside
my system. If a $100 piece of equipment sounds almost as good as a
$10,000 piece of equipment in my system, why on earth would I want to
spend all the extra money? This applies at any price point, but I think
most of the higher priced stuff is likely to be better controlled, and
therefore, more likely to fit pretty well into any system, while more
poorly designed equipment will reflect its surroundings.

I don't know that "...the higher priced stuff is likely to be better
controlled," is necessarily the case. One-off or hand-build stuff is
more susceptible to manufacturing defects than with automated assembly
(witness the DAC chip itself). And surely cost is no judge of proper
design; if it were, many of the high-end pathologically poor DAC's would
never have existed.

I certainly agree with your sentiment on going cheaper when it doesn't
make a difference. $10K more spent on better speakers will almost always
trump, IMO, whatever small difference it could buy in a CD player, DAC,
or certainly cables.

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

Like you, I doubt if the D/A chip itself is the reason for these vast
differences in DAC sound. It's the way the rest of the circuit is
designed, from power supplies, to filtering, to the analog circuitry
driving the output as you say. It's rare to find a cheap DAC that sounds
as good as a more expensive one due to cost constraints when designing
to a price.

Unexplored is the synergy of the entire system. No DAC exists in a
vacuum. It is somewhere between the source and the speakers. Each
component adds its little bit of distortion and there is always some
small amount of interaction between components. In my opinion, the
cheaper the design the more likely are interactions to occur.

Agreed. Obviously, a DAC design compromised by price constraints, is not
going to have the quality of components or design criteria than a unit
built without such constraints. However one shouldn't mistake fancy
casework (like a chassis & front panel machined from a solid billet of
aircraft grade aluminum) for cost-is-no-object circuit design. pretty
cosmetics are certainly nice, but beauty is as beauty does, after all.

That is why I gave up trying to evaluate individual components outside
my system. If a $100 piece of equipment sounds almost as good as a
$10,000 piece of equipment in my system, why on earth would I want to
spend all the extra money? This applies at any price point, but I think
most of the higher priced stuff is likely to be better controlled, and
therefore, more likely to fit pretty well into any system, while more
poorly designed equipment will reflect its surroundings.

That too is true, but since a chain is only as strong as it's weakest
link, it would make little sense to install a $3000+ DAC into a system
consisting of a cheap A/V receiver and a pair of cheap "mini-monitor"
style speakers. Luckily, anyone interested in an expensive DAC (and has
the money to buy it) is unlikely to have such a system.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article , KH
wrote:

On 11/18/2012 7:59 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

snip

That is why I gave up trying to evaluate individual components outside
my system. If a $100 piece of equipment sounds almost as good as a
$10,000 piece of equipment in my system, why on earth would I want to
spend all the extra money? This applies at any price point, but I think
most of the higher priced stuff is likely to be better controlled, and
therefore, more likely to fit pretty well into any system, while more
poorly designed equipment will reflect its surroundings.

I don't know that "...the higher priced stuff is likely to be better
controlled," is necessarily the case. One-off or hand-build stuff is
more susceptible to manufacturing defects than with automated assembly
(witness the DAC chip itself).

Who said anything about "one-off" or "hand built"? Believe me a dCS
Puccini, or an MSB DAC IV is neither, yet these are expensive components
and sound it.

And surely cost is no judge of proper
design; if it were, many of the high-end pathologically poor DAC's would
never have existed.

I certainly agree with your sentiment on going cheaper when it doesn't
make a difference. $10K more spent on better speakers will almost always
trump, IMO, whatever small difference it could buy in a CD player, DAC,
or certainly cables.

Well, that's a slippery slope. Of course you need a pretty high-res
system (speakers included) to appreciate the difference between a $100
DAC and a well designed one costing thousands of dollars. Expensive
cables are, of course, a complete waste of money as the laws of physics
and simple electronic theory say that interconnects and cables that are
properly designed for their application, will have no sound, and that
there is little one can do to wire to make any difference at audio
frequencies; especially in the lengths that audio hobbyists are likely
to employ. IOW, yes, 50 ft of 18 gauge speaker wire will likely affect
the sound of one's speakers but 50 ft of 12 gauge probably won't.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

That's specious, at best. It should be understood by all reading this
discussion that we are not discussing two units of the same make and
model, or even two units that use the same circuit design.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably identical performance, or as
identical is pracdtically possible. . To say otherwise would represent total
disbelief in the relevance of all audio measurements.

But again, anyone who believes that this discussion is about DACs which
Identical measured performance, should not be wasting their time
responding to this thread.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably similar performance that was
within the realm of the sensitivity of human perception to measurable
differences To say otherwise would represent total disbelief in the
relevance of all existing knowlege of human perception.

Again, it should be obvious that no one is talking about such DACs.
Your examples are reductio ad absurdum.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

You're correct. There is no way way for me to know why someone else
cannot hear the differences in DACs.

Given the apparent absence of proper bias controls during the evaluations
described in the OP, there is no way to know which of several explanations
based on listener and experimental bias apply. It seems safe to say that at
least some of them apply.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

I see no such qualifications in the OP. If the wording of the OP is in error
then it needs to be corrected.

What I see is self-serving dismissal of an important critical point.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between
DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably identical performance, or
as
identical is pracdtically possible. . To say otherwise would represent
total
disbelief in the relevance of all audio measurements.

But again, anyone who believes that this discussion is about DACs which
Identical measured performance, should not be wasting their time
responding to this thread.

I see no such qualifications in the OP. If the wording of the OP is in error
then it needs to be corrected.

What I see is more self-serving dismissal of an important critical point.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between
DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably similar performance that
was
within the realm of the sensitivity of human perception to measurable
differences To say otherwise would represent total disbelief in the
relevance of all existing knowlege of human perception.

Again, it should be obvious that no one is talking about such DACs.

In this case, the vast majority of DACs with reasonable pretentions to
quality are included in the set of DAC products whose measured performance
is such that no audible differences should be expected.

Thus the OP is nullified.

Your examples are reductio ad absurdum.

That would be an example of a self-serving dismissal based on absolutely
nothing but the say so of the writer. It can therefore be dismissed as being
just the opinon of one person speaking against a vast body of generally
accepted wisdom.

[ We are headed towards arguments about the arguments rather
than arguments about audio-related subjects. Everyone is
cautioned to keep this on topic, or else take it off-list.
-- dsr for r.a.h-e mods ]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 11/19/2012 8:12 AM, Audio_Empire wrote:
In article , KH
wrote:

On 11/18/2012 7:59 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

snip

[...]

There are many examples of "higher priced stuff" that are virtually
one-off's, or are hand built. If you'll note, the comment I responded to
was not limited to DACs either.

And surely cost is no judge of proper
design; if it were, many of the high-end pathologically poor DAC's would
never have existed.

I certainly agree with your sentiment on going cheaper when it doesn't
make a difference. $10K more spent on better speakers will almost always
trump, IMO, whatever small difference it could buy in a CD player, DAC,
or certainly cables.

Well, that's a slippery slope.

I don't see how you reach that conclusion. Can you cite one example of
any component in an audio system where a $10K upgrade would buy a
greater difference in sound quality? Obviously if you have very good
speakers already, trading them for a $10K more expensive pair may not be
nearly as significant as going from a $1K to an $11K pair, but I still
think you'd be hard pressed to hear anywhere near as much *difference*
in going from a $1K DAC to a $10K DAC as you *could* hear from a speaker
upgrade (given you choose speakers wisely to fit your tastes).

Of course you need a pretty high-res
system (speakers included) to appreciate the difference between a $100
DAC and a well designed one costing thousands of dollars.

But that is the point you labeled as a "slippery slope" above.

Expensive
cables are, of course, a complete waste of money as the laws of physics
and simple electronic theory say that interconnects and cables that are
properly designed for their application, will have no sound, and that
there is little one can do to wire to make any difference at audio
frequencies; especially in the lengths that audio hobbyists are likely
to employ. IOW, yes, 50 ft of 18 gauge speaker wire will likely affect
the sound of one's speakers but 50 ft of 12 gauge probably won't.

Agreed.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

It should be common sense that nobody except those trying to justify a
dissenting opinion would interpret these posts as discussing different
samples of the same DACs and DAC design and or DACs that measure the
same, rather than those with completely different designs selling at
different price points, Of course, DACs that measure the same or are the
same make and model or use a common circuit topology are going to sound
alike. But why would anybody even bring that up?

What I see is self-serving dismissal of an important critical point.

Fine. You are entitled to your opinion.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between
DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably identical performance, or
as
identical is pracdtically possible. . To say otherwise would represent
total
disbelief in the relevance of all audio measurements.

But again, anyone who believes that this discussion is about DACs which
Identical measured performance, should not be wasting their time
responding to this thread.

I see no such qualifications in the OP. If the wording of the OP is in error
then it needs to be corrected.

The three DACs mentioned are thousands of dollars apart in pricing. That
should be plain enough.

What I see is more self-serving dismissal of an important critical point.

It is perfectly logical that a person would hear no differences between
DACs
when the DACs were products that had measurably similar performance that
was
within the realm of the sensitivity of human perception to measurable
differences To say otherwise would represent total disbelief in the
relevance of all existing knowlege of human perception.

Again, it should be obvious that no one is talking about such DACs.

In this case, the vast majority of DACs with reasonable pretentions to
quality are included in the set of DAC products whose measured performance
is such that no audible differences should be expected.

Thus the OP is nullified.

You've compared the DACs discussed? If so, then you may contradict me
from a position of knowledge. If you haven't, then your opinion lacks
even more substance than mine.

Your examples are reductio ad absurdum.

That would be an example of a self-serving dismissal based on absolutely
nothing but the say so of the writer. It can therefore be dismissed as being
just the opinon of one person speaking against a vast body of generally
accepted wisdom.

Well, finally you seem to grasp the reality. It is an opinion, and if
there is a vast body of generally accepted wisdom that says that all
DACS sound alike, there is also a vast body that says that they don't.
Guess which camp in which I'm firmly ensconced ?

[ We are headed towards arguments about the arguments rather
than arguments about audio-related subjects. Everyone is
cautioned to keep this on topic, or else take it off-list.
-- dsr for r.a.h-e mods ]

Agreed. But since Mr. Kruger has obviously not compared the DACs in
question (had he done so, he would have mentioned it as part of his
argument) I believe that it is he who has wandered off-argument.

Will do
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 11/18/2012 2:17 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

**You'd think. I sure did. Recently, I enlarged my workshop to include a
listening room, using high quality speakers and amplification. For some
time I've been using a Harman Kardon HD970 CD player as my main source.
It is an exceptionally good player, which also happens to be quite
versatile. A few weeks back a client sent a Marantz CD80 in for service
and modification. After a lens clean and lube I put it in my system for
a quick listen. WOW! A 23 year old player comprehensively beat my
relatively recently manufactured HK player. The difference was not
measurable that I could ascertain. Yet the sonic difference was
certainly noticable (FR, THD, et al were all beyond the limits of
audibility). I replaced the ancient 5534 OP amps with AD825 chips. No
measurable improvement. Sound-wise, I couldn't reliably hear any
difference either. The client claimed that there was a difference and he
was happy.

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

The HK uses completely different DACs to the Marantz and a discrete
transistor output stage. I certainly did not expect the Marantz to
provide a superior sound to the HK. It's 23 years old! I expected that,
at best, there would be no audible difference. At worst, I certainly
expceted the HK to beat the Marantz.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Trevor Wilson wrote:

On 11/18/2012 2:17 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

I have a somewhat similar story. I have a 10-year old DAC from Sonic
Frontiers' kit division which was called the "Assemblage" DAC-2.6,
which was highly rated in its day. It had Burr-Brown OPA134 op amps in
it and I replaced them with some then new National LM49710s Which have
better slew rate, symmetrical slew, and extremely low noise compared to
the BBs. Both Op-amps were Mini-DIPs and socketed, so swapping them out
was a cinch. I listened very closely for many hours before the swap, and
then listened very carefully for many hours after the swap. No
difference. I expected the new National Op-Amps to make a big
difference, and they made none at all. So much for "expectational bias."

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

It is difficult to account for some of these differences. I have a Sony
XA777ES SACD player circa 2004. Even though it is primarily an SACD
player, I also use it as my Redbook CD player, and I have to say, of all
the CD players that I have had in-house, the Sony is the best sounding
CD player I've ever heard - bar none. It has a coax digital output (CD
only. The output is muted during SACD playback) and I have that output
connected to my current outboard DAC (which is part of my HK990
Integrated amplifier and has dual-differential stereo 24-bit, 192 KHz
D/A chips - 4 Analogue Devices AD1955s) and I can instantaneously switch
between them. The outputs are trimmed to match to within 0.05 dB using a
digital audio voltmeter. My 8-year old Sony XA777ES sounds so much
better playing CDs than does my outboard DAC, that iy is instantaneously
apparent, even though the HK990 DAC section is much newer and very
sophisticated.

The HK uses completely different DACs to the Marantz and a discrete
transistor output stage. I certainly did not expect the Marantz to
provide a superior sound to the HK. It's 23 years old! I expected that,
at best, there would be no audible difference. At worst, I certainly
expceted the HK to beat the Marantz.

I hear you. It is a puzzlement. Different DACs sound "different".
Sometimes the differences are subtle (more like the differences between
a couple of real good amplifiers) and sometimes they are so different
that a deaf person (!) could notice it.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

On 11/18/2012 7:59 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

snip

[...]

Obviously, that above a certain quality level, one enters an area of
diminishing returns (with almost anything), where large and larger
expenditures yield smaller and smaller improvements. But in the case of
DACs, I suspect that you are quite correct. Yes there is a difference
between the sound of the AudioQuest DragonFly and the Ayre Acoustics QB9
at 10X the DragonFly's price and yes, I do prefer the sound of the Ayre,
but it's not a huge difference. It's gives more dimensionality to the
playback and is somewhat more resolving, but I can live with either of
them. I think if I were in the market I'd probably go for the Ayre
(today - unless I hear something even better in that price range
tomorrow) but that doesn't mean that the DragonFly isn't a marvelous
accomplishment. I have another USB DAC called a Beresford TC-7520 (it is
also sold as a TEC TC-7520 and hails from Taiwan) and even though it
costs a little less than the DragonFly, the difference between the two
can be likened to the difference between a pair of really good speakers
such as Wilson Watt/Puppies against a decent table radio like a Tivoli.
And certainly the difference between the DragonFly and Ayre QB9 isn't
anywhere NEAR that great, It is nonetheless just that scoche more
involving.

Of course you need a pretty high-res
system (speakers included) to appreciate the difference between a $100
DAC and a well designed one costing thousands of dollars.

But that is the point you labeled as a "slippery slope" above.

You misunderstood me. What I was saying was that as we all know, more
money doesn't ALWAYS result in better performance, but it does
SOMETIMES. For instance, the best speakers I've ever heard are
Martin-Logan CLX paired with their matching subwoofers. That combo is
about $28K. Now, you can pay many times that if you like (the Wilson
Alexandria XLFs at $200K or the Magico Q7s at $165K come to mind). And
at that price you get great speakers, but are they, ultimately 5 to 8
times better than the M-Ls? No, and in fact in a lot of ways, they
aren't as good (needless to say, they aren't as good TO ME - they don't
do what I value in a speaker as well as the M-Ls. So that is my opinion.
YMMV).

Expensive
cables are, of course, a complete waste of money as the laws of physics
and simple electronic theory say that interconnects and cables that are
properly designed for their application, will have no sound, and that
there is little one can do to wire to make any difference at audio
frequencies; especially in the lengths that audio hobbyists are likely
to employ. IOW, yes, 50 ft of 18 gauge speaker wire will likely affect
the sound of one's speakers but 50 ft of 12 gauge probably won't.

Agreed.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave C Dave C is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

For reasons of sanity I have stopped asking too many questions about the
why. For years I have been an advocate of the if you can really hear it you
can measure it camp - conditioning from 30 odd years in engineering..

However the blatant differences in things like CD players suggest either an
equally blatant disregard for the basics, or a deliberate "sound" design
(sic).

I only listen now - not interested in the spec sheets, I can hear anything I
need to and once I've chosen one, get on with enjoying the music.

Just have to occasionally beat into submission the little voice that starts
to say "but they should sound the same!!"

Dave
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

Agreed. But since Mr. Kruger has obviously not compared the DACs in
question (had he done so, he would have mentioned it as part of his
argument) I believe that it is he who has wandered off-argument.

Yes, that DACs is totally magic, and all of the 100s of DACs that I have
compared are in no way comparable to it. ;-)

Thus we have yet another example of questionable logic. A global
generalization has been made, but in the end it can't be supported until you
have listened to a certain single magic DAC.

And if you believe all that.... !!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

I don't know either.

To understand it, I'd

(1) Run enough tech tests so that I knew what the measureable differences in
the actual samples were, including tracking, error recovery and concealment.

(2) Do one or more time synched, level matched, bias controlled listening
test.

Until you do all of the above, its like hitting a ball out of the park in
baseball, and then failing to circle the bases and physically touch every
one.

If you don't touch all the bases, there is no home run.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

Agreed. But since Mr. Kruger has obviously not compared the DACs in
question (had he done so, he would have mentioned it as part of his
argument) I believe that it is he who has wandered off-argument.

Yes, that DACs is totally magic, and all of the 100s of DACs that I have
compared are in no way comparable to it. ;-)

Thus we have yet another example of questionable logic. A global
generalization has been made, but in the end it can't be supported until you
have listened to a certain single magic DAC.

And if you believe all that.... !!!!!!

But still, you haven't listened to the DACs in question, have you? No?
Thanks for playing.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Dave C" wrote:

[...]

And, if it measures different, it can sound different. Most DACs do
measure differently. These measurement differences are not so much
things like frequency response and distortion + noise (which tend to be
very low, and usually below the threshold of hearing. but are things
like the undithered sinewave waveform shape, jitter spectrum, impulse
response, etc. If you look at the test data in Stereophile for the
DragonFly vs (in the same issue Oct., 2012) the ubber-expensive MSB
Diamond DAC IV, it's easy to see that the MSB measures much better (it
ought to be perfect, it costs THAT much!).

However the blatant differences in things like CD players suggest either an
equally blatant disregard for the basics, or a deliberate "sound" design
(sic).

I sort of doubt the latter. Eventually, somebody is going to test it,
and any chicanery applied to a DAC to purposely alter its frequency
response from flat or a purposeful introduction of some kind of
distortion component is going be noticed. As for the former, That too
doesn't seem too likely, but could happen is very cheap players, I
suppose (although I would expect that really cheap players would do the
entire enchilada with a standard, off-the-shelf chip sets and
"cook-book" circuit topology.

I only listen now - not interested in the spec sheets, I can hear anything I
need to and once I've chosen one, get on with enjoying the music.

Good ploy. There's aways something better out there, and if you're the
type who are always stressing over the possibility that you don't have
the latest or the greatest, then I suggest that you are listening to the
music, you're listening to the equipment, and that's pretty much a
perversion of this hobby in my estimation. I say, buy the best you can
afford and enjoy the music that equipment pumps out.

Just have to occasionally beat into submission the little voice that starts
to say "but they should sound the same!!"

Again, a good idea. No matter how great the differences between two
components - even speakers, once you have chosen one and start to listen
to it, the differences that you might have noticed when comparing one
against the other quickly become irrelevant and the components that you
chose soon become merely your system and it sounds like it sounds and
that sound becomes the right sound (unless you have purposely bought
junk, in which case, you probably don't care about sound anyway).

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 11/21/2012 1:43 PM, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

I don't know either.

To understand it, I'd

(1) Run enough tech tests so that I knew what the measureable differences in
the actual samples were, including tracking, error recovery and concealment.

**Whilst I did not perform a comprehensive range of tests, I did perform
some rudimentary ones (THD, S/N, FR, et al). No audibly significant
issues were uncovered in either machine.

(2) Do one or more time synched, level matched, bias controlled listening
test.

**Done.

Until you do all of the above, its like hitting a ball out of the park in
baseball, and then failing to circle the bases and physically touch every
one.

If you don't touch all the bases, there is no home run.

**Fair point. Nonetheless, the Marantz CD80 was a real surprise. Since
that time, I've tested a few other machines in the same set-up. None
have provided the superior qualities noted in the Marantz.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

I don't know either.

To understand it, I'd

(1) Run enough tech tests so that I knew what the measureable differences in
the actual samples were, including tracking, error recovery and concealment.

(2) Do one or more time synched, level matched, bias controlled listening
test.

Until you do all of the above, its like hitting a ball out of the park in
baseball, and then failing to circle the bases and physically touch every
one.

If you don't touch all the bases, there is no home run.

It's too bad that double-blind or ABX tests are so difficult to arrange.
A lot of personal bias could be avoided, but there is also something
else at work, here. a lot of people (some being movers and shakers in
the world of audio) are saying that while DBT techniques work well for
drug tests, and food taste tests and the like, they really don't work
well for audio. Me? I have no real opinion because I haven't enough
experience with either DBT or ABX tests. I have read about enough tests
of this type for audio equipment that it certainly looks like it works
(for most things). But I would think that when one hears vastly
different presentations that are on the order of speaker differences,
and yet, in a bias controlled test, these difference seem to disappear,
I have to wonder at the efficacy of such tests.

Certain things in the world of physics and electronics, for instance,
tell me that wire can have no sound. I've enough experience testing
cables in the aerospace industry to know how different frequencies are
affected by such things as resistance, capacitance and inductance, and I
know that wire can have no sound because none of those three criteria as
found in competently made audio cables can have any effect at audio
frequencies (unless they are added to the cable by the manufacturer,
then, of course, we no longer have a conductor, we have a fixed filter).
So I'm never surprised when DBTs show no difference between cables. But
here's the rub. Expecting there to be no difference is just as much of a
bias as is expecting there to be an audible difference. So double blind
and ABX tests wouldn't be bias free for such a participant. All cables
sound alike is the expectation so no matter if the cables sounded
different or not, the biased listener is not going to hear it.

Food for thought at the very least.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

And, if it measures different, it can sound different. Most DACs do
measure differently. These measurement differences are not so much
things like frequency response and distortion + noise (which tend to
be very low, and usually below the threshold of hearing. but are
things like the undithered sinewave waveform shape, jitter spectrum,
impulse response, etc.

First, let's clear up a misconception. An imperfection in a DAC will
be manifested as linear distortion, nonlinear distortion, or noise.
Jitter is nonlinear, and will cause IMD. Different impulse responses
are probably due to phase shifts. An imperfect undithered sinewave
waveform shape could be due to anything, but is probably just noise.

Why is the undithered sine wave interesting, anyway? It can't happen
in any recording. I suppose it makes an interesting-looking picture.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

And, if it measures different, it can sound different.

That would appear to be an oversimplification. It lacks the idea that
quanitification of the size of the difference is important.

As stated, every measurable difference has to cause an audible difference.
This is now known to be not true.

The correct statement is:

If it measures sufficiently different, then it may sound different.

Most DACs do measure differently.

Actually our test equipment is so sensitive that everything meausres
differently, even the different channels of multichannel devices.

These measurement differences are not so much
things like frequency response and distortion + noise (which tend to be
very low, and usually below the threshold of hearing. but are things
like the undithered sinewave waveform shape,

This is a false claim on several grounds.

(1) A proper digital signal is always dithered.

(2) In practice all commercial and custom recordings are dithered.

(3) Presuming a recording system with 16 bits and a real world recording
environment, the recording would be dithered even if someone was stupid
enough to attempt to make it without dither.

jitter spectrum,

Jitter is the boogey man of digital audio for people who are unfamiliar with
the issues related to its audibiility. A great deal of misleading
information about it has been published, particular in audiophile and
recording engineer contexts. In fact there are no known instances of jitter
being reliably audible when equipment with minimal performance is being
used. There have been attempts to do this, but they came up null.

impulse response,

Only poorly informed people would suggest that impulse response is unrelated
to frequency and phase response, so this is another audiophile boogey man.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

Agreed. But since Mr. Kruger has obviously not compared the DACs in
question (had he done so, he would have mentioned it as part of his
argument) I believe that it is he who has wandered off-argument.

Yes, that DACs is totally magic, and all of the 100s of DACs that I have
compared are in no way comparable to it. ;-)

Thus we have yet another example of questionable logic. A global
generalization has been made, but in the end it can't be supported until
you
have listened to a certain single magic DAC.

And if you believe all that.... !!!!!!

But still, you haven't listened to the DACs in question, have you? No?

Despite the vain efforts to dismiss the critical point, it remains
unaddressed.

For the record I have auditioned a great number of "magic components" over
the years and they all have failed to impress to any exceptional degree once
personal bias and bad listening tests are factored out of the situation.

There's a lot of very good audio gear out there, and coming up with
something electronic that actually sounds excpetional is a very tall order.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

[...]

Perhaps, but I don't have to hear differences between components
myself to be a believer: I just have to know that, in tests, someone
can hear the difference. These tests have to be sensitive and
repeatable, that's all. So, all you need is someone with good hearing
who does believe. Besides, the listener doesn't need to know what is
being compared.

Andrew.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

I don't know either.

To understand it, I'd

(1) Run enough tech tests so that I knew what the measureable differences
in
the actual samples were, including tracking, error recovery and
concealment.

(2) Do one or more time synched, level matched, bias controlled listening
test.

Until you do all of the above, its like hitting a ball out of the park in
baseball, and then failing to circle the bases and physically touch every
one.

If you don't touch all the bases, there is no home run.

It's too bad that double-blind or ABX tests are so difficult to arrange.

Often proper DBTs are every easy to arrange. A DBT comparing DACs would be
an example of one of the easier tests to set up.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

You still fail to see the salient point here. This is your all MERELY
your opinion. Just because you can't (or won't) hear something doesn't
mean that it doesn't exist. My opinion is that electronics DO differ in
they way they sound. And there is no scientific reason why they
shouldn't. And while many of these differences are quite small and in
the end, pretty unimportant, some aren't.

There's a lot of very good audio gear out there, and coming up with
something electronic that actually sounds excpetional is a very tall order.

I agree. Modern solid-state amps are pretty transparent. The audible
differences between them are very small, but I've yet to hear two
different amplifiers that sound exactly alike. The differences might be
trivial, but they are differences. DACs are a different story. The
difference between them can be quite profound, IME. Since frequency
response (within the passband) of most DACs, even cheap ones, is pretty
flat, and noise + distortion is similarly low to inaudible, the
differences in DACs is down to how much information that they can
retrieve. For instance, instruments that can't be identified on a cheap
DAC become instantly recognizable on a better one such as the difference
between a Fender-Rhodes electric piano and an acoustic piano. Through
inexpensive DACs, such as the AudioQuest DragonFly, I assumed that I was
hearing an acoustic piano on this one jazz recording, but through the
Ayre Acoustics QB-9, it was instantly apparent that it was an electric
piano, like a Fender-Rhodes. While there were differences in the
measurements between the Ayre, and the DragonFly that I had been
listening to these 24-bit/96 KHz computer downloads with, there was
nothing that I could point to that would indicate that great of a
difference in resolution. Yet there it is.

Big differences between 44.1 and 96Khz. Why? philicorda[_9_] Pro Audio 183 May 24th 10 04:06 PM
Differences between EL 84 and EL 34 ...? PenttiL[_2_] Vacuum Tubes 10 October 22nd 08 12:08 AM
u87 differences anon Pro Audio 11 October 6th 04 04:21 PM
u87 differences anon Pro Audio 0 October 3rd 04 08:29 PM
RME 8di Pro Vs DS.. Differences? FrankDebro1 Pro Audio 0 August 22nd 03 09:59 PM