Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Davis[_2_] Howard Davis[_2_] is offline

Default Subwoofer amplifiers

A direct-coupled solid state amp, whether class D or AB, is best for driving
a subwoofer.

I avoid Behringer products because this company is notorious for copying the
designs of existing products, cheapening them, and selling them at a lower
price than the originals.

A tube amp for a subwoofer? FORGET ABOUT IT!
No practical tube-based amp has the necessary low frequency power bandwidth
to function down to 16Hz or lower as well as it does in the midrange and
high end.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
"Howard Davis" wrote:

A direct-coupled solid state amp, whether class D or AB, is best for driving
a subwoofer.

I avoid Behringer products because this company is notorious for copying the
designs of existing products, cheapening them, and selling them at a lower
price than the originals.

Could you please cite one example where they have done this? I'm not
necessarily disagreeing with you, but I've never seen any of their
products as copies of anyone else's. Now a lot of their products are
very similar to product sold under the Alesis and/or Peavy name, but I
understand that's because they are all three built in China by the same
parent company

A tube amp for a subwoofer? FORGET ABOUT IT!

Yeah, not a great idea. You can get far better bottom end performance
much cheaper with a solid state power amp for subwoofers.

No practical tube-based amp has the necessary low frequency power bandwidth
to function down to 16Hz or lower as well as it does in the midrange and
high end.

While there are tube amps that would fulfill this function (like the VTL
Siegfried, for instance), the operative word here is "practical".
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message
"Howard Davis" wrote:

A direct-coupled solid state amp, whether class D or AB, is best for
driving
a subwoofer.

I avoid Behringer products because this company is notorious for copying
the
designs of existing products, cheapening them, and selling them at a
lower
price than the originals.

Could you please cite one example where they have done this?

Certainly. I am the engineer that designed the Deluxe Memory Man analog
delay guitar pedal for Electro-Harmonix. Behringer has a cheaper clone of it
now on the market. It's no skin off my back as I get no royalties on sales,
but if I were the manufacturer I would certainly consider legal action
against Behringer. I personallly evaluated the Behringer product's
circuitry, and it is clearly a cheapened copy of my Deluxe Memory Man.

I'm not
necessarily disagreeing with you, but I've never seen any of their
products as copies of anyone else's. Now a lot of their products are
very similar to product sold under the Alesis and/or Peavy name, but I
understand that's because they are all three built in China by the same
parent company

Behringer has no scruples about copying other company's products when they
think they can get away with it.

A tube amp for a subwoofer? FORGET ABOUT IT!

Yeah, not a great idea. You can get far better bottom end performance
much cheaper with a solid state power amp for subwoofers.

No practical tube-based amp has the necessary low frequency power
bandwidth
to function down to 16Hz or lower as well as it does in the midrange and
high end.

While there are tube amps that would fulfill this function (like the VTL
Siegfried, for instance), the operative word here is "practical".

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Howard Davis" wrote:

[...]

I'll take your word for it. Not being a musician who uses electronic
instruments such as electric guitars, I would have no way of knowing
about their music products (for instance, I don't even know what a
Deluxe Memory Man analog delay guitar pedal is), I only know about their
recording products (microphones, A/D converters, recording consoles) and
their monitoring products (near-field speakers. amplifiers). And I must
say that aside from their similarity to other products of the same vein,
I've never particularly noticed any blatant piracy or theft. How do you
tell if a microphone is a copy of some-one else's microphone anyway? The
entire Chinese condenser microphone industry is based upon the Chinese,
during the years when they were closed-off from the rest of the world,
blatantly copying Neumann, Telefunken, AKG, and Sennheiser microphones
for their own use - Even the Russians used to do that.

Ray Dolby tells the story of a trip to Moscow he made in the late 1970's
where he was taken to a local Orthodox church that had been
"re-purposed" into a state-owned 'Melodya' recording studio. He saw
banks of Dolby "A" noise reduction units that he could tell his company
never built or sold, a number of multi-track Studer tape recorders that
were too crudely made to have been REAL Studers and a forest of Neumann
mikes with Russian name-plates on them. When he asked his state-provided
guide about this, he was told that the government wouldn't allow
industries to use Western, capitalist built equipment and everything
must be domestically produced or purchased from other Iron Curtain
countries. Dolby asked how they got plans for the Dolby "A" units , and
the guide rather sheepishly responded that they had one of their agents
buy a real Dolby unit in West Berlin and they shipped it to "The
People's Electronics Bureau" in the Soviet Union where it was
reverse-engineered. There was nothing Ray Dolby could do about it since
the Russians had no copyright agreements with any Western nation
(neither did the Red Chinese).
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Barkingspyder wrote:

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:02:36 AM UTC-7, Howard Davis wrote:
A direct-coupled solid state amp, whether class D or AB, is best for
driving

a subwoofer.

I avoid Behringer products because this company is notorious for copying
the

designs of existing products, cheapening them, and selling them at a lower

price than the originals.

A tube amp for a subwoofer? FORGET ABOUT IT!

No practical tube-based amp has the necessary low frequency power bandwidth

to function down to 16Hz or lower as well as it does in the midrange and

high end.

Don't know of anybody who said anything about a tube amp for a subwoofer.
Tubes are great for guitar amps after that I have no use for them.

They can be great for GP hi-fi amps too, but they are a terrible value
compared with solid-state amps. In fact to get a tube amp that is as
neutral as a good solid-state amplifier you would have to pay a LOT more
than the cost of an SS equivalent. Even then you're likely to have quite
a bit less power. But make no mistake, a VTL Siegfried, or an Audio
Research REFERENCE 750 tube amp (to name but two) is every bit as
neutral as a the best SS designs, even if they are pricey (the VTL
Siegfried II is $65,000 a pair, and a pair of Audio Research REF-750's
is about $90,000. Decent solid state amps of the same power as these
above mentioned tube amps can be had for less than 1/10 of those prices.

Amplifiers? Federico Pro Audio 32 August 11th 08 02:45 PM
T.amp amplifiers (s-100, s-150 etc.) Norbert Hahn Pro Audio 1 March 9th 05 10:28 PM
Q: Best amplification for diy subwoofer... subwoofer amp vs. passive+external mike vandy Tech 12 April 10th 04 04:40 AM
Need Specs for "Advent Subwoofer III" passive home subwoofer ??? unc80 Marketplace 0 July 8th 03 10:41 PM