Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

Default Regen

I wanted to play with space charge tubes and had never done a radio
before so here's the result.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/...12AL8%20Regen/

I'm not sure what all them 'foreigners' were saying but did hear
(English) Radio Taiwan International station identification on 5950
KHz.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
flipper wrote:

I wanted to play with space charge tubes and had never done a radio
before so here's the result.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/...12AL8%20Regen/

I'm not sure what all them 'foreigners' were saying but did hear
(English) Radio Taiwan International station identification on 5950
KHz.

Hi Flipper, why is this project on photobucket.com instead of the "flipperhome"
web site with the usual excellent Flipper textual narrative?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:16:46 -0500, John Byrns

flipper wrote:

I wanted to play with space charge tubes and had never done a radio
before so here's the result.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/...12AL8%20Regen/

I'm not sure what all them 'foreigners' were saying but did hear
(English) Radio Taiwan International station identification on 5950
KHz.

Hi Flipper, why is this project on photobucket.com instead of the "flipperhome"
web site with the usual excellent Flipper textual narrative?

Well, a combination of things. I began using photobucket as a quick
alternate for a few things when my web server box went south (now
replaced) and hadn't really intended this tinkering to be 'a project',
at least not when it began. And, not being a 'radio guy', I also don't
have a frame of reference to know just 'how well' it performs vs other
regens.

Also, I'm still 'tinkering' and, so, don't think of it as 'finished'.
BCB works fairly well but shortwave seems to occasionally do odd
things although, when I started, I had no intent of doing shortwave.

The original idea was a 'simple' (except it kept getting more complex)
and 'safe voltage' project for my nephew but, well, I've built it now.
LOL

It began with Norm's 12K5 regen. Now that's simple but I wasn't sure
nephew would be thrilled with the performance. I then thought a 12AL8
would have more gain. It wasn't much but regen control is a world
better. Then the audio preamp was added but I wonder if an RF amp
front end would have been a better idea.

Anyway, by that time it was complex enough that I wasn't sure nephew
would stay interested so I thought to bring it 'almost' complete and
let him 'help' finish it. But that turns out to be not quite so simple
as it sounds. So then I though maybe have him wind a shortwave coil
with the 'wow' factor being *that* is something he can't get on his
'normal' AM/FM radio.

Which gets back to the shortwave performance matter, plus what the
coil should be because I don't know how to estimate coil self
capacitance. The one I have now, 6 + 8 turns with 47pF padder, tunes
from roughly 5.9 MHz to 7.45 MHz and appears to have a self
capacitance of 24.5 pF but I'm not sure but what the tap ratio is too
aggressive and should be more like 3 + 11 turns.