Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Can you use a Mac Mini as a conduit?

This may not be appropriate for rec.audio.high-end, but it the kind of
thing somebody in this group might have tried.

[ It may be better suited for rec.audio.tech, but I'm willing
to see how it goes, as the focus seems to be specifically
on high-end audio reproduction. -- dsr ]

I have all my music on a Drobo S connected to a MacBook Pro. If I want
to, I can mount a DAC via Firewire on the MBP and process music up to
196/24, which is beyond the capabilities of the built-in Core Audio.
The problem is the MBP is too far away from the Hi-Fi system and I
cannot locate it any closer.

I tried a first generation AppleTV and it worked but I was limited to CD
quality, 44.1/16 (or maybe 24). I tried a long TosLink cable to another
DAC I have but found I couldn't get over 48/24 because of cable length.

It occurred to me the Mac Mini supports Firewire and I could network it
to my MBP the same way I did the AppleTV. Then I would need to have the
Mini access my Drobo via my MBP to obtain music to send to the DAC. I
would also need the MBP to be able to access the Mini in order to
control it. I can't mount the Drobo on the Mini because I also use it
for backups and for photograph storage and processing.

Has anybody made this work? If so, what do I need to know?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

This may not be appropriate for rec.audio.high-end, but it the kind of
thing somebody in this group might have tried.

[ It may be better suited for rec.audio.tech, but I'm willing
to see how it goes, as the focus seems to be specifically
on high-end audio reproduction. -- dsr ]

You are probably correct but I didn't even know that group existed. I
have subscribed for future reference.

It occurred to me the Mac Mini supports Firewire and I could network it
to my MBP the same way I did the AppleTV. Then I would need to have the
Mini access my Drobo via my MBP to obtain music to send to the DAC. I
would also need the MBP to be able to access the Mini in order to
control it. I can't mount the Drobo on the Mini because I also use it
for backups and for photograph storage and processing.

Has anybody made this work? If so, what do I need to know?

Someone brought to my attention a device called a Firenex S400 Cat5
Repeater, which claims to allow a firewire device to be spotted up to
210' (of cable, I presume) from the computer and that it will appear as
if the device is directly connected to the computer. Anybody know
anything about it? The cost is $285, which is considerably less than a
Mac Mini, AND it looks like it is much simpler. The only problem is
whether it will work over a WiFi or a powerline connection, since I
can't easily run cable.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

Someone brought to my attention a device called a Firenex S400 Cat5
Repeater, which claims to allow a firewire device to be spotted up to
210' (of cable, I presume) from the computer and that it will appear as
if the device is directly connected to the computer. Anybody know
anything about it? The cost is $285, which is considerably less than a
Mac Mini, AND it looks like it is much simpler. The only problem is
whether it will work over a WiFi or a powerline connection, since I
can't easily run cable.

Scratch that. I am told this doesn't actually convert the signal to
ethernet. It just uses the cable to transfer the FireWire signal. That
being the case, a Gefen FireWire Repeater will do the same thing for a
lot less money.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

[...]

If you want to go the Mac Mini way, just connect the Drobo to the Mac
Mini, and the Mini to your DAC. You may want to put something like an
Audiophilleo in between. I'v done this and the improvement in sound
quality is significant.

Then use Screen Sharing (via the built-in Airport Express) on the MBP to
control the Mini, and through that the Drobo. Done.

This also considerably simplifies the music pathway and leaves the MBP
free for other duties when not actually scheduling/changing the music.

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Greg Wormald wrote:

If you want to go the Mac Mini way, just connect the Drobo to the Mac
Mini, and the Mini to your DAC.

I can't mount the Drobo on the Mini because I also use it for backups

and for photograph storage and processing.

Is there any way to access the Drobo on the MBP from a Mac Mini? I want
to avoid the expense of buying the Mini unless I know I can do this and
how to go about it.

You may want to put something like an Audiophilleo in between. I'v done this and the improvement in sound
quality is significant.

It is a FireWire device.

Then use Screen Sharing (via the built-in Airport Express) on the MBP to

control the Mini, and through that the Drobo. Done.

Thanks for the suggestion. That should work.

[ At this point, I think we are drifting away from audio
quality methods and towards computer configuration, so
let's take anything offtopic to private email -- dsr ]