Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Webcasting Mixer

mcp6453 wrote:

Here are the mixers we're considering and a comment about each one. I
realize that the comparisons are not apples to apples. A key
consideration is aux outs.

Mackie 1640i (Firewire and 6 aux outs, but costs almost as much as a
Presonus) Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 (Amazing features but not best
reliability so far) Allen & Heath MixWizard3 16:2 (6 aux outs, 100mm
faders)
Behringer UFX1604 (Looks fantastic but unknown shipping date; also
cheap)

Any thoughts?

Ergonomics and layout clarity wins. That - in my opinion - leaves you with
the A&H.

In this context the Behringer principle of one more button than the
competition weighs against them, buttons are expensive, so they have to cut
the cost of something else - perhaps the faders, perhaps the capacitors,
perhaps all physical switches "less good". For a basement toy - sorry
Behringer, but some of your cheaper mixers come across as such - that may
not matter, but for a hard working desk it quite possibly does matter.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 5/11/2011 3:59 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the input. I've never touch an A&H, but the reviews are usually
pretty good.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I've never touch an A&H, but the reviews are
usually pretty good.

Take a look - and a listen - also at a Soundcraft Spirit M8, from the
product info it could be nicer to work with than all of those you asked
about.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/13/2011 3:21 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I've never touch an A&H, but the reviews are
usually pretty good.

Take a look - and a listen - also at a Soundcraft Spirit M8, from the
product info it could be nicer to work with than all of those you asked
about.

The Spirit only has 4 aux sends, and two of them are pre-fader. The Mackie 1640i
has 6 aux sends with all 6 switchable pre or post. The Mackie seems to be the
winner at the moment, but I'm so turned off by the headroom problem on the
1402-VLZ Pro that I'm hesitant to purchase a Mackie.

If I had room for it, I would dig out my Tascam M520. Problem solved. The darned
thing is too big for my studio. (Does anybody know where I can get knobs for it?
Some have been lost in moving. That is really annoying.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fred[_13_] Fred[_13_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I've never touch an A&H, but the reviews are
usually pretty good.

Take a look - and a listen - also at a Soundcraft Spirit M8, from the
product info it could be nicer to work with than all of those you
asked about.

The Spirit only has 4 aux sends, and two of them are pre-fader. The
Mackie 1640i has 6 aux sends with all 6 switchable pre or post. The
Mackie seems to be the winner at the moment, but I'm so turned off by
the headroom problem on the 1402-VLZ Pro that I'm hesitant to
purchase a Mackie.

If I had room for it, I would dig out my Tascam M520. Problem solved.
The darned thing is too big for my studio. (Does anybody know where I
can get knobs for it? Some have been lost in moving. That is really
annoying.)

http://www.teac.com/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/20/2011 10:31 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

The Spirit only has 4 aux sends, and two of them are pre-fader. The Mackie 1640i
has 6 aux sends with all 6 switchable pre or post. The Mackie seems to be the
winner at the moment, but I'm so turned off by the headroom problem on the
1402-VLZ Pro that I'm hesitant to purchase a Mackie.

First, there's no headroom problem with the VLZ if you use it correctly
(like the manual says). But knowing that people don't read manuals and
will forget about safe gain setting in the heat of the moment, the VLZ3
borrowed some tricks from the Onyx and they reduced the internal level
of the mixer, making it up at the output since quieter parts are
available now.

If I had room for it, I would dig out my Tascam M520. Problem solved. The darned
thing is too big for my studio.

Do you know how big a 1640i is? It's pretty big, too. Not so wide, but
deeeeeeep!

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then