Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hueyduck[_3_] Hueyduck[_3_] is offline

Default signal one could hear at the end of the FM band in the 80s

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the denomination of the sound that one could hear when
scanning the end of the usefull FM band with a radio set.
It sounded like a sinus wave, cuontinuous, that was randomly modulated
as if someone was controlling the height of the note with a keyboard.
The modulations of the note were made without any slide between the
height, as would play a solo synth set in solo mode.The modulating notes
were never higher (in frequency) than the principal note. THere were no
silence: the signal was everlasting.

Visually transcribed, this would give something like this

-------------_---------_--------------------- _ --_----------
_ - _
_-

Whats the name of this thing? (so that I can look up some info about it)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Huey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Hueyduck" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the denomination of the sound that one
could hear when scanning the end of the usefull FM band
with a radio set. It sounded like a sinus wave, cuontinuous, that was
randomly modulated as if someone was controlling the
height of the note with a keyboard. The modulations of
the note were made without any slide between the height,
as would play a solo synth set in solo mode.The
modulating notes were never higher (in frequency) than
the principal note. THere were no silence: the signal was
everlasting.
Visually transcribed, this would give something like this

-------------_---------_--------------------- _ --_---------- _ -
_
_-

Whats the name of this thing? (so that I can look up some
info about it)

The video signal from the nearest transmitter running on TV channel 6? That
would be the low end of the FM band.

Above the FM band were frequencies used for aircraft instrument landing
systems (ILS)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Reinhard Zwirner[_2_] Reinhard Zwirner[_2_] is offline

Hueyduck schrieb:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the denomination of the sound that one could hear when
scanning the end of the usefull FM band with a radio set.
It sounded like a sinus wave, cuontinuous, that was randomly modulated
as if someone was controlling the height of the note with a keyboard.
The modulations of the note were made without any slide between the
height, as would play a solo synth set in solo mode.The modulating notes
were never higher (in frequency) than the principal note. THere were no
silence: the signal was everlasting.

Visually transcribed, this would give something like this

-------------_---------_--------------------- _ --_----------
_ - _
_-

Whats the name of this thing? (so that I can look up some info about it)

Could it be "Eurosignal"?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurosignal#Eurosignal

Sample to listen:

http://www.rothlaender.net/geocaching/duedelue.wav

HTH

Reinhard
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Hueyduck wrote:
I'm looking for the denomination of the sound that one could hear when
scanning the end of the usefull FM band with a radio set.
It sounded like a sinus wave, cuontinuous, that was randomly modulated
as if someone was controlling the height of the note with a keyboard.
The modulations of the note were made without any slide between the
height, as would play a solo synth set in solo mode.The modulating notes
were never higher (in frequency) than the principal note. THere were no
silence: the signal was everlasting.

Where were you when you heard it?

The end of the FM band is the international aircraft navigation band.
You were hearing some sort of navigational aid, probably a VOR from the
description.

You can look up the aircraft charts in your area and see if there were any
local VORs on 108.1 MHz.

If you have a scanner or communications receiver you should be able to hear
plenty more of these in the 108-136 Mhz range.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

Could it be "Eurosignal"?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurosignal#Eurosignal

What was that? Google translate can't seem to make sense of it...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Reinhard Zwirner wrote:
Could it be "Eurosignal"?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurosignal#Eurosignal

What was that? Google translate can't seem to make sense of it...
--scott

European pager system of sorts. Paged your unit using something similar
to DTMF to let you know there was a call on one of your (up to four)
landlines. It was a signal to you to call up your answering machine. No
thanks to Google translate apart from the odd hint, that's my reading of
the German.

What you hear on the recorded sample are the tones used for phone
numbers, with the repeated motif being the idle tone to let the
receivers know that the system was still working. The channels used were
just off the official lower end of the European FM broadcast band.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hueyduck[_3_] Hueyduck[_3_] is offline

-------------_---------_--------------------- _ --_----------
_ - _
_-

Whats the name of this thing? (so that I can look up some info about it)

Could it be "Eurosignal"?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurosignal#Eurosignal

Sample to listen:

http://www.rothlaender.net/geocaching/duedelue.wav

clap! clap! clap!

This is it. Wasn't my drawing nice? ;-)

Actually, I was about to send another message to add that I was writing
from France and that the thingy I was describing might not have existed
in the USA , for instance.

Anyway, thanks a lot.
The reason I was looking after information is that I once wrote a music
inspired by this sound, and someone recently told me that I had copied a
sound heard in music from a famous group. I had to object vigourously,
but as I couldn't explain the source of my inspiration (as welle as the
source of the famous group's inspiration), I was a little bit stuck )

so, cuddos to this usenet group !

Thx again and good night

HUey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Arny Krueger writes:
snip

The video signal from the nearest transmitter running on TV channel
6? That would be the low end of the FM band.

YEp, that's for the lower end. Scott would be right about
the upper end, but iirc vor does an identifier in MORse
code. But, at the lower end of the fm bc band would be the
video signal for tv channel 6.

Friend of mine almost got busted for running an unlicensed
broadcast facility because he was at 88.1, and folks with
over the air tv's in the neighborhood trying to watch a
channel 6 from about 50 miles distant were getting
interference.

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_4_] MG[_4_] is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Hueyduck wrote:
[...]

Also, FWIW, the video signal was AM in analog TV. The audio was FM.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

MG a écrit :

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Where were you when you heard it?

The end of the FM band is the international aircraft navigation band.
You were hearing some sort of navigational aid, probably a VOR from the
description.

You can look up the aircraft charts in your area and see if there were
any
local VORs on 108.1 MHz.

If you have a scanner or communications receiver you should be able to
hear
plenty more of these in the 108-136 Mhz range.
--scott

Sorry I never answered, Scott: your message never got to my usenet server.
Anyway: WHat I was looking for is definitely Eurosignal.
Nonetheless, Thanks for your suggestions, both of you

Huey