Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default Audio post

On another group, someone who says he's a reviewer posted some blind
items representing audio bargains. I couldn't figure them all out so I
thought I'd present them here to get the discussion going.

1. "great performing MOSFET 150+ Watt/channel stereo power amp for
$200"

2. "fine sounding 65 Watt/channel KT88 tube amp that is a dual mono
design, with 5 pairs of line-level inputs, separate power
supplies(including separate power transformers!) and ceramic tube
sockets and all hand wired, gorgeously finished for under $700"

3. "marvelous tube preamp that's circuit-wise a virtual copy of the
famous Marantz 7 for about $250"

4. "quiet, FET preamp (and a copy of an older Nelson Pass design)
with a decent phono stage for $200"

5. "24-bit/96KHz DAC that perform superbly for @$100"

Me and Mr google have some guesses:

1. There have been many mentions of a cheap Behringer amp with a street
price like that but I don't know if it has MOSFETs. A500 Reference?

2. That's the price of half a PrimaLuna Prologue 2.

3. Mr google maybe scores one, Octave-Electronics M7i.

4. Nada.

5. One-third of the MF V-DAC.

That's casual knowledge and twenty minutes of computer time. Have fun!

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
On another group, someone who says he's a reviewer posted some blind
items representing audio bargains. I couldn't figure them all out so I
thought I'd present them here to get the discussion going.

1. "great performing MOSFET 150+ Watt/channel stereo power amp for
$200"

**"great sounding MOSFET" is an oxymoron (unless the amp happens to be
mostly operating in Class A).

2. "fine sounding 65 Watt/channel KT88 tube amp that is a dual mono
design, with 5 pairs of line-level inputs, separate power
supplies(including separate power transformers!) and ceramic tube
sockets and all hand wired, gorgeously finished for under $700"

**More Chinese crap with crap output transformers. Ho hum.

3. "marvelous tube preamp that's circuit-wise a virtual copy of the
famous Marantz 7 for about $250"

**Chinese? Again?

4. "quiet, FET preamp (and a copy of an older Nelson Pass design)
with a decent phono stage for $200"

**Uh-huh.

5. "24-bit/96KHz DAC that perform superbly for @$100"

**That's hardly rocket science.

Me and Mr google have some guesses:

1. There have been many mentions of a cheap Behringer amp with a street
price like that but I don't know if it has MOSFETs. A500 Reference?

**Pretty certain Behringers are BJTs. Not certain though.

2. That's the price of half a PrimaLuna Prologue 2.

3. Mr google maybe scores one, Octave-Electronics M7i.

4. Nada.

5. One-third of the MF V-DAC.

That's casual knowledge and twenty minutes of computer time. Have fun!

**It was fun for me.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
On another group, someone who says he's a reviewer posted some blind
items representing audio bargains. I couldn't figure them all out so I
thought I'd present them here to get the discussion going.

1. "great performing MOSFET 150+ Watt/channel stereo power amp for
$200"

**"great sounding MOSFET" is an oxymoron (unless the amp happens to be
mostly operating in Class A).

Split the difference between 'performing' and 'sounding'! I wouldn't be
surprised if the amp powers up.

2. "fine sounding 65 Watt/channel KT88 tube amp that is a dual mono
design, with 5 pairs of line-level inputs, separate power
supplies(including separate power transformers!) and ceramic tube
sockets and all hand wired, gorgeously finished for under $700"

**More Chinese crap with crap output transformers. Ho hum.

3. "marvelous tube preamp that's circuit-wise a virtual copy of the
famous Marantz 7 for about $250"

**Chinese? Again?

Malaysian. Maybe a kit.

4. "quiet, FET preamp (and a copy of an older Nelson Pass design)
with a decent phono stage for $200"

**Uh-huh.

5. "24-bit/96KHz DAC that perform superbly for @$100"

**That's hardly rocket science.

I have one in my $150 receiver.

Me and Mr google have some guesses:

1. There have been many mentions of a cheap Behringer amp with a street
price like that but I don't know if it has MOSFETs. A500 Reference?

**Pretty certain Behringers are BJTs. Not certain though.

2. That's the price of half a PrimaLuna Prologue 2.

3. Mr google maybe scores one, Octave-Electronics M7i.

4. Nada.

5. One-third of the MF V-DAC.

That's casual knowledge and twenty minutes of computer time. Have fun!

**It was fun for me.

Thanks for playing.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

The Chinese and other oriental vendors sell many variants of a
"Marantz 7 clone" on a pcb with no switching or tone controls in many
forms, from bare boards to complete units. The board costs $5 in 500
piece lot, they retail the bare board for $35, stuffed for $100-150,
and in a cheap case with tubes, P/S and connectors from $250 on up.

The volume control is a $1 double pot and there is no tone stack or
any switching ot speak of. Other than that, it's just like a Marantz 7.