Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dieter Britz[_2_] Dieter Britz[_2_] is offline

Default Manipulating WAV files

I have bought a little gadget that digitises music for me, into *.wav
files. It is said to be able to divide the recording into tracks after
the digitising process, but this doesn't work that well.

Is there software that can do this, interactively with the user (me)?
I envisage listening to the file, and pressing a button when I want a
new track, i.e. a new file. Does this sort of thing exist?
--
Dieter Britz (dieterbritzatyahoo.com)
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dieter Britz wrote:
I have bought a little gadget that digitises music for me, into *.wav
files. It is said to be able to divide the recording into tracks after
the digitising process, but this doesn't work that well.

Is there software that can do this, interactively with the user (me)?
I envisage listening to the file, and pressing a button when I want a
new track, i.e. a new file. Does this sort of thing exist?

This is typically done *visually* by looking at the waveform on the
computer screen. Most audio non-linear-editing (NLE) applicaitons
do this. For example a popular freeware audio NLE is Audacity...
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Richard Crowley wrote:

Dieter Britz wrote:
I have bought a little gadget that digitises music for me, into *.wav
files. It is said to be able to divide the recording into tracks after
the digitising process, but this doesn't work that well.

Is there software that can do this, interactively with the user (me)?
I envisage listening to the file, and pressing a button when I want a
new track, i.e. a new file. Does this sort of thing exist?

This is typically done *visually* by looking at the waveform on the
computer screen. Most audio non-linear-editing (NLE) applicaitons
do this. For example a popular freeware audio NLE is Audacity...
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I initially tried a program that did the separation automatically, and it
often got fooled, by pauses in the music, or with live recordings clapping
so there was no silent period.

I tried an editor that gave a visual representation, and the line really
was quite clear. Yes, you have to look through the file to find the
places, but it seemed to be faster than fidgeting with the variables on
the automatic program.

Michael

Files on the CF not the same as on HD of 744 Luc Cuveele Pro Audio 0 March 6th 07 06:50 PM
Manipulating Regions in Sound Forge Mike Rivers Pro Audio 120 September 1st 06 12:07 AM
Getting .wav files seen on a Mac... Benjamin Maas Pro Audio 3 May 9th 04 05:35 AM
SRI files Freddo Pro Audio 0 April 1st 04 02:36 PM
Logic 5 Files to AIFF Files LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 5 October 27th 03 04:58 PM