Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Vinyl making a comeback?

I think vinyl may be making something of a comeback.

This based on anecdotal evidence: in two local (San Francisco Bay East
Bay area) record shops I've visited recently, people working in both
have told me that their vinyl sales are up--way up in one case. (Mostly
used stuff, but some new LP releases.)

As we know, CD sales are basically in the toilet. The younger generation
seems to be getting most of its "music" (if that's what it can be
called) via non-physical means, many (most?) of which are tinny and
harsh-sounding, but since that's all they know, they seem to like it.
But independent of this, vinyl sales have increased.

Anyhow, it's gratifying to see what appears to be a return to an older,
discarded analog recording medium. We'll see how much of a comeback it
really is.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Anyhow, it's gratifying to see what appears to be a return to an older,
discarded analog recording medium.

Why? It was discarded for very good reasons. What is needed is a return to
good quality mastering, it will be intersting to see if they actually
managed that with the new releases of the Beatles albums next week. I'm
hoping they did, and that it sparks an interest in more of the same, rather
than a return to high cost, low quality playback equipment.

We'll see how much of a comeback it
really is.

It never went away, simply became a very minor fringe/nostalgia media.
Even the disco DJ's seem to be going digital as far as I can see.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com

I think vinyl may be making something of a comeback.

Something?

Hmm, anything is something.

Will vinyl ever become a mainstream medium?

Unlikely.

Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with vinyl. Vinyl
basically died in less than 10 years.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com

I think vinyl may be making something of a comeback.

Something?

Hmm, anything is something.

Will vinyl ever become a mainstream medium?

Unlikely.

Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with vinyl. Vinyl
basically died in less than 10 years.

The other thing is that although the youngsters will download their
music, the older generation still prefers CDs and the grey power brigade
have a much greater disposable income.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
s.com
I think vinyl may be making something of a comeback.

Something?

Hmm, anything is something.

Will vinyl ever become a mainstream medium?

Unlikely.

Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it
did with vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10
years.

The other thing is that although the youngsters will
download their music, the older generation still prefers
CDs and the grey power brigade have a much greater
disposable income.

Good point.

People who think that dancing on the grave of CDs will bring back vinyl are
playing a very strange game.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/4/2009 6:45 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

The other thing is that although the youngsters will
download their music, the older generation still prefers
CDs and the grey power brigade have a much greater
disposable income.

Good point.

People who think that dancing on the grave of CDs will bring back vinyl are
playing a very strange game.

I don't mean to claim there's a direct correlation between declining CD
sales and increasing LP sales, though there are some interesting
relationships in play.

And of course vinyl will never again become the dominant medium. But
that's not the point here.

I think the point about who's got the money is an important one too.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

The other thing is that although the youngsters will
download their music, the older generation still prefers
CDs and the grey power brigade have a much greater
disposable income.

Good point.

People who think that dancing on the grave of CDs will bring back
vinyl are playing a very strange game.

I don't mean to claim there's a direct correlation between declining CD
sales and increasing LP sales, though there are some interesting
relationships in play.

And of course vinyl will never again become the dominant medium. But
that's not the point here.

I think the point about who's got the money is an important one too.

The other point is that, since vinyl sales are tiny compared to all
other media, they can increase ten fold and still be three fifths of
bugger all.

Cheers

ian
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with vinyl.

Vinyl
basically died in less than 10 years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!
(I include acetate disks and cylinders here which are the same technology)
So the question is whether CD will last 80+ years? Or, who cares anyway? :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/4/2009 10:17 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"Arny Krueger" [maybe] wrote in message

Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with
vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10 years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!
(I include acetate disks and cylinders here which are the same technology)
So the question is whether CD will last 80+ years? Or, who cares anyway? :-)

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as the next medium? Or
what *should* the next medium be? (Not necessarily the same thing, of
course.)

(And don't forget wax and shellac recordings.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/4/2009 10:17 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"Arny Krueger" [maybe] wrote in message

Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with
vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10 years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!
(I include acetate disks and cylinders here which are the same
technology)
So the question is whether CD will last 80+ years? Or, who cares
anyway? :-)

Both good questions, actually.

Well, if you are going to include products based on the same technology
to get 80 years for for vinyl then the CD already has 30 years to its
credit.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as the next medium?

Medialess, the cd has already become a transport medium rather than a
playback medium.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com
On 9/4/2009 10:17 PM Mr.T spake thus:

So what do you see as the next medium?

It's already here - just a data file on no particular medium in particular.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/5/2009 2:47 AM Peter Larsen spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as the next medium?

Medialess, the cd has already become a transport medium rather than a
playback medium.

What about those people who prefer some kind of tangible thing, as
opposed to something just grabbed out of the ether? You know, something
with pictures, liner notes, etc.

Is that just so 20th century?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

What about those people who prefer some kind of tangible thing, as
opposed to something just grabbed out of the ether? You know,
something with pictures, liner notes, etc.

the pdf has not replaced the beautifully printed book.

Is that just so 20th century?

No, it is just a niche market.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 9/4/2009 10:17 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"Arny Krueger" [maybe] wrote in message

Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with vinyl.
Vinyl basically died in less than 10 years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!
(I include acetate disks and cylinders here which are the same technology)
So the question is whether CD will last 80+ years? Or, who cares anyway?
:-)

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as the next medium? Or
what *should* the next medium be? (Not necessarily the same thing, of
course.)

That's the transistion. CDs aren't disappearing because a better medium
came along (be it the more portable notion of cassettes that helped to
drive off records, or the higher density and maybe better sound of the
CD that finished off records). They are disappearing because people
are either not buying music, or have decided to buy electronically.

I find this terrible. My 30 year old records still exist, they are
tangible complete with the record covers. Same with CDs, I can pop
those in my computer and make them digital or even into MP3s, and while
those formats are even better than CD convenience wise (just like CDs
were more convenient than records by being smaller, higher density,
and in equipment that could be remotely controlled), I want the tangible
CD to ensure I actually have the music.

Yes, I suppose the CD could break or get scratched and become useless.
But I damaged only one of my records, through stupidity, in thirty years,
so why should I expect CDs to fail? But there does seem something
terribly insecure about buying a digital file and keeping it on my
hard drive.

There's a world of difference between choosing to convert CDs or
cassettes or records into MP3s for practical reasons, and a scenario
where MP3s become the form of music because the smaller size makes
it easier to retrieve.

Michael

(And don't forget wax and shellac recordings.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as
the next medium?

Medialess, the cd has already become a transport medium
rather than a playback medium.

What about those people who prefer some kind of tangible
thing, as opposed to something just grabbed out of the
ether? You know, something with pictures, liner notes,
etc.

Go to a place that didn't exist even as a dream, back when vinyl was king.

The artist's web site.

Is that just so 20th century?

Yes. We're just about a decade into the 21st century.

It is time for some people to man up and realize that they aren't in Kansas
any more! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:

What about those people who prefer some kind of tangible
thing, as opposed to something just grabbed out of the
ether? You know, something with pictures, liner notes,
etc.

the pdf has not replaced the beautifully printed book.

In some ways, it has surpassed it.

Besides, the PDF is not all there is for music fans to enjoy. We don't live
in times that are limited to just those things that can be put into a
cardboard folder.

Is that just so 20th century?

No, it is just a niche market.

Yes, vinyl is a tiny niche with just a few very vocal people who promote it
uber alles.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/6/2009 4:31 AM Dick Pierce spake thus:

Michael Black wrote:

There's a world of difference between choosing to convert CDs or
cassettes or records into MP3s for practical reasons, and a scenario
where MP3s become the form of music because the smaller size makes
it easier to retrieve.

Are you equating "digital" with "MP3?"

Isn't that a valid assumption? I mean, aren't 99.9% of music files used
by consumers in that format? There are other, higher-quality formats,
but they're certainly not widely used, are they?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I think vinyl may be making something of a comeback.

This based on anecdotal evidence: in two local (San Francisco Bay East
Bay area) record shops I've visited recently, people working in both
have told me that their vinyl sales are up--way up in one case.
(Mostly used stuff, but some new LP releases.)

As we know, CD sales are basically in the toilet. The younger
generation seems to be getting most of its "music" (if that's what it
can be called) via non-physical means, many (most?) of which are
tinny and harsh-sounding, but since that's all they know, they seem
to like it. But independent of this, vinyl sales have increased.

Anyhow, it's gratifying to see what appears to be a return to an
older, discarded analog recording medium. We'll see how much of a
comeback it really is.

Maybe if people get back a taste for sound quality, then they'll move from
vinyl 'back' to CD !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as the next
medium?

Medialess, the cd has already become a transport medium rather than a
playback medium.

What about those people who prefer some kind of tangible thing, as
opposed to something just grabbed out of the ether? You know,
something with pictures, liner notes, etc.

Is that just so 20th century?

Something with an actual physicality and perceived value, unlike downlaoded
(even if paid for) music.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/6/2009 3:05 PM Dick Pierce spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I mean, aren't 99.9% of music files used
by consumers in that format?

You sure it's not 99.87623%?

Where do you get the figure 99.9%?

It's a rhetorical device standing in for "practically all".

There are other, higher-quality formats,
but they're certainly not widely used, are they?

Let's see, EVERY CD uses uncompressed linear PCM.
Files ripped from PCs are, by default, liner PCM.
Are you suggesting that CDs and the like "are not
widely used?

I meant *besides* CDs. So let me restate the question: excluding CDs
(and WAV files ripped on a computer and the like), aren't the vast
majority of sound files people listen to in the MP3 format?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/6/2009 4:12 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as
the next medium?

Medialess, the cd has already become a transport medium
rather than a playback medium.

What about those people who prefer some kind of tangible
thing, as opposed to something just grabbed out of the
ether? You know, something with pictures, liner notes,
etc.

Go to a place that didn't exist even as a dream, back when vinyl was king.

The artist's web site.

Is that just so 20th century?

Yes. We're just about a decade into the 21st century.

It is time for some people to man up and realize that they aren't in Kansas
any more! ;-)

Ya know, I just love it when the techno-fascists start in on how anyone
who prefers vinyl must be some kind of retrograde Luddite or some such.

Now I know that term (techno-fascist) is offensive, and I don't use it
lightly. They're not content to let us know that the newfangled stuff is
better in so many ways, which might be a reasonable argument: no, in
addition to that, they see it as their mission to quarantine the world
against a possible outbreak of regression to yesterday's technology.
They belittle anyone who prefers vinyl to CDs (or film to digital
photography).

This is not the same thing as, say, digital TV vs. analog TV. In that
case, it really is a case of having one technology or the other;
economic and physical constraints make having both formats and being
able to choose between them impractical. I recognize that and accept it.

But there's *nothing* inherent in the production and sale of music discs
that similarly would preclude someone from being able to choose one
format over another; in fact, vinyl is still being produced (albeit in
very limited quantities), which in no way inconveniences CD users or
constitutes a barrier to sales of other formats. So why the continued
invective against those who like LPs?

I'm quite willing to admit that vinyl is in no way the ideal format; I
just happen to like it for a number of reasons. I'm not claiming it's
the end-all and be-all of music reproduction formats. It's difficult to
eliminate surface noise, and the recordings can physically degrade when
played. But there are also problems with CDs, as you well know.

I get the same bull**** from digital photography zealots. Today I
visited my favorite photo shop in Berkeley, Looking Glass Photo. They
sell digital cameras, inkjet paper, and accessories. They also do a
brisk business selling film cameras, film, paper, chemicals, enlargers,
and other wet photographic stuff. Are they also Luddites? Do you think
they should just "get over it" and pitch all that horrible backwards
stuff? How 20th century can you get?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Well, if you are going to include products based on the same technology
to get 80 years for for vinyl then the CD already has 30 years to its
credit.

And 28 even if you don't! Only half a century or so to go then :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Ya know, I just love it when the techno-fascists start in on how anyone
who prefers vinyl must be some kind of retrograde Luddite or some such.

And they're not? :-)

in
addition to that, they see it as their mission to quarantine the world
against a possible outbreak of regression to yesterday's technology.

Nope, no fear of that happening.

They belittle anyone who prefers vinyl to CDs (or film to digital
photography).

Nope, only those who claim vinyl is "superior". IMO opinion a person is
entitled to "prefer" anything they like, so long as they don't make
ridiculous claims to justify their preferences. No justification is even
needed, yet most cannot accept their preference is based on anything other
than technical superiority, despite all facts to the contrary.

But there's *nothing* inherent in the production and sale of music discs
that similarly would preclude someone from being able to choose one
format over another; in fact, vinyl is still being produced (albeit in
very limited quantities), which in no way inconveniences CD users or
constitutes a barrier to sales of other formats. So why the continued
invective against those who like LPs?

Indeed, and why the continual claims for "superiority" of vinyl?
IME it's always the vinyl devotees that even raise the issue.

I'm quite willing to admit that vinyl is in no way the ideal format; I
just happen to like it for a number of reasons. I'm not claiming it's
the end-all and be-all of music reproduction formats. It's difficult to
eliminate surface noise, and the recordings can physically degrade when
played. But there are also problems with CDs, as you well know.

The cover art is too small for failing eyesight?

I get the same bull**** from digital photography zealots. Today I
visited my favorite photo shop in Berkeley, Looking Glass Photo. They
sell digital cameras, inkjet paper, and accessories. They also do a
brisk business selling film cameras, film, paper, chemicals, enlargers,
and other wet photographic stuff. Are they also Luddites? Do you think
they should just "get over it" and pitch all that horrible backwards
stuff?

Not as long as there is a market and money to be made!
I haven't thrown out my film camera's or enlarger, but I certainly prefer
digital in nearly every aspect, except trying to get proper B&W prints made
from it.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Both good questions, actually. So what do you see as the next medium? Or
what *should* the next medium be? (Not necessarily the same thing, of
course.)

Solid state media cards. A 1GB SD card could easily be used now at current
prices, but it won't happen unfortunately, simply because they can charge
just as much for downloads it seems, and YOU have to pay for the
card/storage media, pay the internet fees to download it, pay to print the
artwork etc.(if any is even provided.)

No media manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, or retail mark-up costs,
coupled with approximately the same end user charge, equals *FAR* more
profit for them!!!
(minus what they spend on legal fees pursuing those who won't pay so much
for lossy-compressed media-less "bits" of course)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 9/6/2009 4:31 AM Dick Pierce spake thus:
Are you equating "digital" with "MP3?"

Isn't that a valid assumption? I mean, aren't 99.9% of music files used
by consumers in that format? There are other, higher-quality formats,
but they're certainly not widely used, are they?

Of course they are! CD *IS* digital! How much more widely used do you want?
Many people also choose Wave or FLAC for their other storage requirements.
It's only the record companies once again who are *******s and rarely offer
downloads in those formats.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
I mean, aren't 99.9% of music files used
by consumers in that format?

I meant *besides* CDs. So let me restate the question: excluding CDs
(and WAV files ripped on a computer and the like), aren't the vast
majority of sound files people listen to in the MP3 format?

Nope, nothing like the 99% you quote!
First you have to subtract most of the Apple format users (fairly big
numbers there), then those who prefer WMA, then those who prefer high
quality formats like Wave and FLAC, and then the other disk formats like
DVDA, ATRAC etc. not to mention dozens of others besides!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mr.T wrote:
"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Well, if you are going to include products based on the same technology
to get 80 years for for vinyl then the CD already has 30 years to its
credit.

And 28 even if you don't! Only half a century or so to go then :-)

MrT.

George Martin goes further and splits sound media history into four
roughly equal 25 year periods with the last being CD. I guess you can
cut it any way you like to make the point you want to make.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it
did with vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10
years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!

Revisionst history!

There was no vinyl 80 years ago. I doubt that the chemical vinyl had even
been invented. If it existed in some lab, there still weren't any production
quantities of it. Vinyl as a production product was a product of the U.S.
synthetic rubber program of WW2.

There were large black disks with grooves in 1929, but they weren't vinyl,
they weren't microgroove, they generally were not made or widely played
electronically (electronics was in its infancy), and they weren't stereo.

(I include acetate disks and cylinders here which are the
same technology)

Nope. They were a related, predecessor technology. There were many steps
along the way. Vinyl mono ruled from about 1953 to 1958, and vinyl stereo
ruled from 1958 to about 1988. So, give vinyl as we know it a 30 year run.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
s.com...

Ya know, I just love it when the techno-fascists start
in on how anyone who prefers vinyl must be some kind of
retrograde Luddite or some such.

And they're not? :-)

IMO, this "techno-fascist" thing is a bad rap. Heck, even I have a really
pretty good vinyl player that I even just bought a new cartridge for. I
admit it, I listen to more needle drops than live vinyl, but that's
partially because I know that vinyl degrades every time you play it. I can't
see being unecessarily harsh and mean to nixw working antiques that even I
can be a little sentimental about.

in
addition to that, they see it as their mission to
quarantine the world against a possible outbreak of
regression to yesterday's technology.

Nope, no fear of that happening.

Agreed. the statement you are responding is an admission that we've do have
Luddites around who still openly dream of a "...regression to yesterday's
technology."

They belittle anyone who prefers vinyl to CDs (or film
to digital photography).

Nope, only those who claim vinyl is "superior".

Agreed.

IMO
opinion a person is entitled to "prefer" anything they
like, so long as they don't make ridiculous claims to
justify their preferences. No justification is even
needed, yet most cannot accept their preference is based
on anything other than technical superiority, despite all
facts to the contrary.

When was the last time some vinylista posted here that CDs can't possibly
sound right because of the empty spaces between the samples? I think it was
in the last year.

But there's *nothing* inherent in the production and
sale of music discs that similarly would preclude
someone from being able to choose one format over
another;

Sure there is, the fact that selling music is a business. There is no
business case for putting all music out in both LP and CD format.

fact, vinyl is still being produced (albeit
in very limited quantities), which in no way
inconveniences CD users or constitutes a barrier to
sales of other formats. So why the continued invective
against those who like LPs?

It's the nearly 30 years of invective targeting the CD that sets the stage.

Indeed, and why the continual claims for "superiority" of
vinyl?

It's the same logic that makes some want to believe that their girlfriend is
the prettiest girl in the world.

IME it's always the vinyl devotees that even raise the
issue.

You mean, like this time?

I'm quite willing to admit that vinyl is in no way the
ideal format; I just happen to like it for a number of
reasons. I'm not claiming it's the end-all and be-all of
music reproduction formats. It's difficult to eliminate
surface noise, and the recordings can physically degrade
when played. But there are also problems with CDs, as
you well know.

The cover art is too small for failing eyesight?

There are no known sonic problems with CDs - because they have no inherent
sonic characteristics. They are demonstrably sonically transparent if that's
how their producers want to produce them to be that way.

I get the same bull**** from digital photography
zealots.

Yes, digital photography is now mainstream, it can't possibly be any good.

Today I visited my favorite photo shop in
Berkeley, Looking Glass Photo. They sell digital
cameras, inkjet paper, and accessories. They also do a
brisk business selling film cameras, film, paper,
chemicals, enlargers, and other wet photographic stuff.
Are they also Luddites?

Here we go again, a belief that photography and audio recording are
sufficiently similar to mix up this way. The big difference is that there
are no visually transparent photographs. Show me a picture and it always
looks like a picture. Play me a really good recording and it sounds exactly
like the signal that came out of the mixing board or mic.

Do you think they should just
"get over it" and pitch all that horrible backwards
stuff?

We bought my daughter a Canon EOS Elan for her university graduation or
there abouts, but by the time she had her PhD, she had bought herself a
Digital Rebel. For her last birthday, her husband bought her a digital
point-and-shoot because she had discovered that with digital, you don't need
all of the overhead of even a nice SLR to get good pictures. My ca. 1970 FT
is in good operating condition along with its set of telephoto, Macro, and
Wide angle lenses, but we haven't touched it for over 10 years because we
take all of our pictures with a SD 1000.

Not as long as there is a market and money to be made!

Ask Kodak about the future of silver-based photography in the mainstream.

I haven't thrown out my film camera's or enlarger, but I
certainly prefer digital in nearly every aspect, except
trying to get proper B&W prints made from it.

Yes, our enlarger, tanks and trays are still around as well.

I spend most of my spare time producing digital videos when I'm not
producing digital recordings. No politics, just what works best.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/7/2009 5:29 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But there's *nothing* inherent in the production and sale of
music discs that similarly would preclude someone from being able
to choose one format over another;

Sure there is, the fact that selling music is a business. There is no
business case for putting all music out in both LP and CD format.

Just to address this small point, I can certainly remember when much
music (not all, to be sure) came out in both LP and cassette formats
(remember that?), and I'm pretty sure there was even a period where some
was released in three formats (LP, cassette and CD).

I won't even go into 8-track territory ...

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/7/2009 12:50 AM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I meant *besides* CDs. So let me restate the question: excluding CDs
(and WAV files ripped on a computer and the like), aren't the vast
majority of sound files people listen to in the MP3 format?

Nope, nothing like the 99% you quote!
First you have to subtract most of the Apple format users (fairly big
numbers there), then those who prefer WMA, then those who prefer high
quality formats like Wave and FLAC, and then the other disk formats like
DVDA, ATRAC etc. not to mention dozens of others besides!

Well, I know there are lots of formats in use, no argument there.

My question is how many people use these formats as opposed to MP3s in
iPods and similar listening devices.

Haven't got any statistics at hand, but it seems to me(TM) that when I'm
out and about, the vast majority of folks I see listening to music are
using something to listen to MP3s. So I conclude that this format is
vastly more popular than any other.

Do you really think that the examples you gave (like those who use other
formats for higher quality) are more numerous than MP3s? Not necessarily
challenging you, since I don't have statistical evidence one way or the
other.

Again, this is *excluding* CDs (and DVDs and other commercially
available music discs).

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/7/2009 7:35 AM Dick Pierce spake thus:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message [...]

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it did with
vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10 years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!

Revisionst history!

Nothing beats revisionist history like made up history.

There was no vinyl 80 years ago.

Revisionist?

I doubt that the chemical vinyl had even been invented.

From a brief search:

"Polyvinyl chloride or PVC was first created by the German
chemist Eugen Baumann in 1872. Eugen Baumann never applied
for a patent.

"Polyvinyl chloride or PVC was never patented until 1913
when German, Friedrich Klatte invented a new method of
the polymerization of vinyl chloride using sunlight."

You're being cute. (Even if Arny was wrong about the age of the chemical
vinyl.)

One can take "vinyl" in the context of this thread to mean "sound
recordings made of vinyl", which certainly did not exist much earlier
than the 1950s.

I think it's reasonable to assume that we're talking about such vinyl
recordings, not recorded discs with single spiral grooves made from a
variety of other materials (shellac, etc.).

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...
I think vinyl may be making something of a comeback.

This based on anecdotal evidence: in two local (San Francisco Bay East Bay
area) record shops I've visited recently, people working in both have told
me that their vinyl sales are up--way up in one case. (Mostly used stuff,
but some new LP releases.)

As we know, CD sales are basically in the toilet. The younger generation
seems to be getting most of its "music" (if that's what it can be called)
via non-physical means, many (most?) of which are tinny and
harsh-sounding, but since that's all they know, they seem to like it. But
independent of this, vinyl sales have increased.

Anyhow, it's gratifying to see what appears to be a return to an older,
discarded analog recording medium. We'll see how much of a comeback it
really is.

I just watched a video on YouTube of a vinyl cutter that sits on
a turntable to make DIY "dubplates". Dunno what is the difference
between a "dubplate" and a vinyl disk except that maybe a "dubplate"
is home-cut vs. a commercial moulded vinyl disk.

Most likely constant pitch, and must require a pretty beefy turntable
to maintain speed while cutting, etc. Not clear that there was any
kind of monitoring the groove, no microscope, etc. Although a
microscope with a video camera would likely be pretty easy to do
these days. They are sold as children's toys nowdays.

If you're interested....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa9_h2CrNJU

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/7/2009 1:10 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

I just watched a video on YouTube of a vinyl cutter that sits on
a turntable to make DIY "dubplates". Dunno what is the difference
between a "dubplate" and a vinyl disk except that maybe a "dubplate"
is home-cut vs. a commercial moulded vinyl disk.

Most likely constant pitch, and must require a pretty beefy turntable
to maintain speed while cutting, etc. Not clear that there was any
kind of monitoring the groove, no microscope, etc. Although a
microscope with a video camera would likely be pretty easy to do
these days. They are sold as children's toys nowdays.

If you're interested....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa9_h2CrNJU

Intrestin' ...

Probably won't watch that video right away, as I'm on dialup (yep, I'm a
card-carrying Luddite!). But I did find these pages on dubplates:

http://www.duophonic.de/index.php?vi...bplate_cutting (German mfgr.)
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Dubplate
http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=112

Apparently the discs can be either acetate or vinyl, with vinyl the
preferred substance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/7/2009 1:10 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

I just watched a video on YouTube of a vinyl cutter that sits on
a turntable to make DIY "dubplates". Dunno what is the difference
between a "dubplate" and a vinyl disk except that maybe a "dubplate"
is home-cut vs. a commercial moulded vinyl disk.

Is this a vinyl cutterhead?
http://carverycuts.com/dubs/index.ph...9&Itemi d=147

Looks like there's a resistance heater, a vacuum tube to eat the
shaving, and some kind of guide wire or something. And what's that
little hook thingy dangling? Some kind of anti-resonance device?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"David Nebenzahl" wrote...
Richard Crowley spake thus:
[...]

I saw another vintage film on YouTube showing making a wax
blank by pouring hot wax from a tin measuring cup onto the
spinning turntable. It is remarkably similar to the say we use
"spin-on" methods today to coat silicon wafers with various
chemicals and photoresist, etc. Except we don't need some
guy wielding a hair-dryer to smooth out the surface (as shown
in the movie. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it
did with vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10
years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!

Revisionst history!

Nothing beats revisionist history like made up history.

There was no vinyl 80 years ago.

Revisionist?

I doubt that the chemical vinyl had even been invented.

From a brief search:

"Polyvinyl chloride or PVC was first created by the
German chemist Eugen Baumann in 1872. Eugen Baumann
never applied for a patent.

"Polyvinyl chloride or PVC was never patented until
1913 when German, Friedrich Klatte invented a new
method of the polymerization of vinyl chloride using
sunlight."

"I doubted", but I doubted incorrectly. So what?

The context of the topic was the use of PVC in recordings, which did not
start in 1872 or even 1913.

This listing of the above dates does not mention the fact that PVC was not
economcally useful until the following event took place:

On goes on to learn that practical PVC, including useful,
widespread commercial applications, date from the B.F.
Goodrich Company in 1926

"Date from" should note be confused with "widespread commercialization
immediately started"

As I said before, PVC use in commercial quantities started around the time
of the Second World War. Until the end of the war, civilian uses did not
explode.

Further, is one gets out of the mode of taking the
narrowest, most anally retentive view of a term, one
might learn that the technology behind vinyl goes well
back beyond "vinyl."

That's what one might think if one read the phrase:

They were a related, predecessor technology."

Take a hierarchical view, gentle
people: consider the physical layer: vinyl, shellac, wax.
Now take the next layer up: the encoding, and you find
that the encoding method has been around for well over
100 years, regardless of the physical media.

"There were many steps long the way. Vinyl mono ruled from about 1953 to
1958, and vinyl stereo
ruled from 1958 to about 1988. So, give vinyl as we know it a 30 year run."

Confusing the two leads to silly, irrelevant claims about
"revisionist history" and such.

The context was clearly stated at the beginning of the post that I replied
to:

"Vinyl basically died in less than 10 years.

Which was falsely corrected by the following statement:

" Ignoring the previous 80 years of course."

The official date of the invention of the phonograph was 1877, but that
wasn't when the vinyl LP was invented. The time from 1877 was mentioned in
the phrase: "There were many steps along the way". They weren't ignored.
Somebody(s) read that and didn't perceive that it meant that there were many
steps from 1877 to 1957.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com
On 9/7/2009 1:10 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

I just watched a video on YouTube of a vinyl cutter that
sits on a turntable to make DIY "dubplates". Dunno what is the
difference between a "dubplate" and a vinyl disk except
that maybe a "dubplate" is home-cut vs. a commercial
moulded vinyl disk.

Is this a vinyl cutterhead?
http://carverycuts.com/dubs/index.ph...9&Itemi d=147

Looks like there's a resistance heater,

Resistance wire scramble-wound around the cutting stylus.

a vacuum tube to eat the shaving,

Relatively huge oval orifice behind the stylus.

and some kind of guide wire or something.

The power lead for the resistance wire which may be just more resistance
wire.

And what's that little hook thingy dangling?

Looks like a vinyl shaving that escaped the vacuum and melted it onto the
lead wire.

Some kind of anti-resonance device?

Unlikely.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Irwin Peter Irwin is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

One can take "vinyl" in the context of this thread to mean "sound
recordings made of vinyl", which certainly did not exist much earlier
than the 1950s.

I seem to remember that there was some experimental use in the 1930s.

I think it's reasonable to assume that we're talking about such vinyl
recordings, not recorded discs with single spiral grooves made from a
variety of other materials (shellac, etc.).

But how do you know what the records you use are made from? Lots of
1940s and 1950s 78s are made of vinyl with fillers instead of
shellac. The most obvious difference is that vinyl isn't soluble
in alcohol, but 78s which are vinyl+filler feel and break much
the same as the prewar shellac+filler discs.

Peter