Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default Original 1983 Marantz CD63

On Christmas Eve I was given a Marantz CD63 on Freecycle. This is the
original 1983 champagne-gold top-loader in visually pristine condition.

Sonically it works really well, and it brought back to mind the incredible
reaction to CD many of us had in 1983. The sheer convenience, the lack of
background noise or distortions, the ability to skip or include tracks, it
was then a revelation, and the slogan "pure, perfect sound forever" had
meaning.

However, the CD63 has a very noisy spindle motor, and I'd very much like to
quieten it so I could use it in a second system. From looking at the CDM1
service manual, it doesn't look like the motor is able to be serviced. It
says that the bearings are sealed and shouldn't be lubricated. I'm reluctant
to try and dismantle the motor as that could well stop the CD player working
at all. Does anybody here know of a source for CDM1 mechanism motors, or
indeed whole mechanisms? Alternatively, I'd be happy to buy a complete
faulty CD player that has the same mechanism, provided obviously, the motor
isn't at fault.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year to all

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in
message

However, the CD63 has a very noisy spindle motor, and I'd
very much like to quieten it so I could use it in a
second system. From looking at the CDM1 service manual,
it doesn't look like the motor is able to be serviced. It
says that the bearings are sealed and shouldn't be
lubricated. I'm reluctant to try and dismantle the motor
as that could well stop the CD player working at all.
Does anybody here know of a source for CDM1 mechanism
motors, or indeed whole mechanisms? Alternatively, I'd be
happy to buy a complete faulty CD player that has the
same mechanism, provided obviously, the motor isn't at
fault.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

AFAIK, CDM1 transports are like hen's teeth.

Your most likely source would be another CD63.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:
[...]

Serge,

The CDM 1 uses a 'brushless and slotless' type motor as I recall, and
they almost never get noisy. Take a look at the platter clamp, and see
if it might be rubbing. Also, look around the motor for any foreign
debris that might be there. On the CDM 1 mk II, you can CAREFULLY
remove the bottom bearing from the motor with the 2 T10 screws that
secure it, clean off the old lubrication, and add a drop of (synthetic)
motor oil to the bearing and reassemble. I do not know if the original
version can be oiled in this manner. It's been quite a while since I've
worked on that mechanism.

Regards, Happy New Year, and enjoy your CD player,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"Serge Auckland" wrote:

[...]

Does the noise stop instantly when the power is cut? If so, it could be
tracking noise. I don't know about the CD63, but older CD players
tended to have several pots on the board for calibration. The servos
will hiss, squeal, and chatter when they're not all right. You'd
definitely need a service manual or a legend of label abbreviations to
fix that.

--
Google is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.