Posted to rec.audio.tech
liu liu is offline

Default improve phone recording

We have someone doing voiceover by phone (from another city). There
isn't too much noise but the voice sounded like AM radio. Is it
possible to enrich the audio (with filters) to make it sound better?

Thanks for any suggestions,

liu
Posted to rec.audio.tech
polymod polymod is offline

"liu" wrote in message
We have someone doing voiceover by phone (from another city). There
isn't too much noise but the voice sounded like AM radio. Is it
possible to enrich the audio (with filters) to make it sound better?

Thanks for any suggestions,

I'd do the voiceover as a wav file and either fly it over the net, or mail
it.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"liu" wrote ...
We have someone doing voiceover by phone (from another city). There
isn't too much noise but the voice sounded like AM radio. Is it
possible to enrich the audio (with filters) to make it sound better?

Thanks for any suggestions,

One method is to use those gadgets used by radio broadcasters which
digitize the local high-quality audio, compress it (like MP3, etc.) and
ship it over a high-speed link (like DSN, or fibre,etc.) These are popuar
for things like sports remotes (college away games, etc.) and with many
voice-talent where they conduct the recording session over the phone,
but send the actual finished program material via a more high-quality link.
But this requires specialized hardware at both ends.

A simpler method is to just record the voiceover at the talent's end
as high-quality audio, then have them email or some method of online
transfer the audio files to you after the session. Back before the era
of high-speed internet, this was often done by dropping DAT tapes
into the snail-mail. You typically don't need the program-quality
audio *immediately*. Getting the digital file a few minutes (or even
hours) later is just as viable and infinitely cheaper. Your voice talent
should already have such facilities set up at their home or favorite
studio. It doesn't take much more than an ordinary PC and common
software (and email).

Posted to rec.audio.tech
liu liu is offline

Thank you all for the nice suggestions. The talent does not have a
good recording setup at her place and she proably is not technical
enough to do the recording. I guess GIGO, there is no way to improve
an recorded phone audio!?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"liu" wrote ...
Thank you all for the nice suggestions. The talent does not have a
good recording setup at her place and she proably is not technical
enough to do the recording. I guess GIGO, there is no way to improve
an recorded phone audio!?

Not really. Does she (or you) know anybody in her town that at least
has a computer and a microphone? Trying to "improve" telephone
audio is a losing proposition before you start.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"liu" wrote in message
Thank you all for the nice suggestions. The talent does not have a
good recording setup at her place and she proably is not technical
enough to do the recording. I guess GIGO, there is no way to improve
an recorded phone audio!?

At my radio station, we use Skype for phone-ins as the audio quality is
generally rather better than normal POTS lines. It also gives you near
infinite separation between send and return so you can cue the talent
without it getting mixed in to the send signal. We've done 2+ hour
broadcasts from New Zealand and USA back to the UK with complete stability.

Really easy to set up too, and it's free!

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
liu liu is offline

On Dec 16, 1:16*pm, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:

At my radio station, we use Skype for phone-ins as the audio quality is ....

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if it can go through our
firewall.