Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb. Moshe Goldfarb. is offline

Default [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 01:30:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

Does this one actually work?
Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Chris Ahlstrom Chris Ahlstrom is offline

After takin' a swig o' grog, Glenn Carlson belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:07:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

Does this one actually work?
Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

Why even bother?
Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.
Those guys are too busy churning out editors and compilers to worry about
decent audio.
Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
reversed.
I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I thought
anyone else would be able to notice.

End of story for Linux and me........

Interesting. Both "Moshe" and "Glenn" use

on motzarella.org.

sniff sniff I smell flatfish sock puppets.

I guess he never read this one:

http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/9892

Portable Hard Disk Recorder How-To

After plugging this interface in to my laptop and configuring it
properly, I have a multitrack hard disk recorder that can simultaneously
record 24 tracks at a maximum sample rate of 96KHz, well above the
maximum available sample rate on far more expensive commercial HDRs, with
more available input tracks.

--
Someday, Weederman, we'll look back on all this and laugh... It will
probably be one of those deep, eerie ones that slowly builds to a
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Roy Schestowitz Roy Schestowitz is offline

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 31 October 2008 14:46 : \____

After takin' a swig o' grog, Glenn Carlson belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:07:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

Does this one actually work?
Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

Why even bother?
Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.
Those guys are too busy churning out editors and compilers to worry about
decent audio.
Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
reversed.
I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I thought
anyone else would be able to notice.

End of story for Linux and me........

Interesting. Both "Moshe" and "Glenn" use

on motzarella.org.

sniff sniff I smell flatfish sock puppets.

One sentence per paragraph, no indentation, no line spacing. If it looks like a
(Flat)Fish...

Gary M. Stewart.

I guess he never read this one:

http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/9892

Gary also dropped the references from the OP.

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson Â*
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

Audio in Linux is awesome

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

Portable Hard Disk Recorder How-To

After plugging this interface in to my laptop and configuring it
properly, I have a multitrack hard disk recorder that can simultaneously
record 24 tracks at a maximum sample rate of 96KHz, well above the
maximum available sample rate on far more expensive commercial HDRs, with
more available input tracks.

Renoise For Linux

| On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
| announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX
| versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux. This
| is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an active
| community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds, and a native
| Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is over, so let's see
| (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio software party. Â* Â* Â*
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

- --
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Chris Ahlstrom Chris Ahlstrom is offline

this bit o' wisdom:

Renoise For Linux

| On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
| announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX
| versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux. This
| is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an active
| community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds, and a native
| Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is over, so let's see
| (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio software party. * * *
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

The screenshots look neat. Downloading the demo now.

--
For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_6_] philicorda[_6_] is offline

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:12:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

this bit o' wisdom:

Renoise For Linux

| On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
| announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX |
versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux.
This | is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an
active | community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds,
and a native | Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is
over, so let's see | (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio
software party.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

The screenshots look neat. Downloading the demo now.

Energy-xt has a native Linux version too. It's nearer a DAW than a
tracker, but that is a good thing IMHO.

They also mention in that article that Garritan are planning a port of
their new ARIA sampler engine. It's interesting to see more commercial
audio software appearing.

So far it appears that commercial developers are using Jack/LV1+2, so
they can interface with the open source software like Ardour etc. This is
important as it means they are integrating their products into the
existing Linux audio world, rather than just doing quick and lazy ports.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:23:47 -0400, Charlie Olsen wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:08:11 GMT, philicorda wrote:

Energy-xt has a native Linux version too. It's nearer a DAW than a
tracker, but that is a good thing IMHO.

I've used Energy under Windows and it's a fairly decent piece of
software for the money. The drum track is a unique feature that allows
setting up grooves quickly for ad-hoc composing. I've never tried Linux
but from what I understand it's quite difficult to get it running with
low latency.

Low latency can be tricky on generic distros, so many people use music
specific ones. Partly this is for security reasons, a user must have
permission for very high scheduling priorities/ real time. I think that
must seem very strange from a Windows user's point of view!

Currently I am using Nuendo 3 although I am starting to get
into Reaper which also works with Linux but through an emulator of
sorts.

I've tried Reaper on Linux with WineASIO. (ASIO to Jack layer.)
The audio side worked OK, and VST plugins worked. The gui was a bit
sluggish though, enough to be irritating.

Both are run under Windows XP because I had a terrible experience
with Vista and ended downgrading my system back to Windows XP. It's my
opinion that Vista is a terrible choice for a digital audio workstation.
Some of the Sonar users have had luck with Vista, but most people I deal
with are staying with Windows XP or are planning to move to Apple
products.

I used to recommend 2K/XP for audio. Since Vista and the general
unpredictability of USB/Firewire interfaces, I tell people to use Macs.

I'm quite happy with an XP+Cubase rig for most of my recording at the
moment. In a few years time when that dies, I'll be on Linux or OSX.

They also mention in that article that Garritan are planning a port of
their new ARIA sampler engine. It's interesting to see more commercial
audio software appearing.

Garritan is a major player with their Bigband and Steinway products. I
use both and have had good results with them.

So far it appears that commercial developers are using Jack/LV1+2, so
they can interface with the open source software like Ardour etc. This
is important as it means they are integrating their products into the
existing Linux audio world, rather than just doing quick and lazy
ports.

I have no idea what those programs are or do. I would like to see Linux
version's of Nuendo and Reaper.

Perhaps Nuendo, as it runs on OSX/Win and so appears to have been written
with cross platform compatibility in mind. Reaper is unlikely, as it is
devoutly WIN32 and thus would be a huge job to port.

Both ports would use Jack, like all existing commercial audio software on
Linux. The basic framework for audio on Linux of ALSA+Jack is really
rather splendid compared to the somewhat ad hoc equivalents on other
operating systems.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
Chris Ahlstrom Chris Ahlstrom is offline

After takin' a swig o' grog, philicorda belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:12:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

The screenshots look neat. Downloading the demo now.

Energy-xt has a native Linux version too. It's nearer a DAW than a
tracker, but that is a good thing IMHO.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

Mentions their produc going into this Linux-based device:

http://www.indamixx.com/

Indamixx in 'New Gear' Keyboard MagazineIndamixx Poster

"More powerful than a smartphone. More streamlined than any laptop. More
music apps pre-installed than you can shake a USB cable at. Between the
plug 'n' play and the awesome mobility, this could be the box
that takes Linux into the mainstream of music creation."

Stephen Fortner, Technology Editor, KEYBOARD Magazine

That link described the devie, it looks quite interesting.
Looks like it costs about $1200.

http://www.indamixx.com/components/c...44d40ade86.jpg

They also mention in that article that Garritan are planning a port of
their new ARIA sampler engine. It's interesting to see more commercial
audio software appearing.

So far it appears that commercial developers are using Jack/LV1+2, so
they can interface with the open source software like Ardour etc. This is
important as it means they are integrating their products into the
existing Linux audio world, rather than just doing quick and lazy ports.

--
"Let us condemn to hellfire all those who disagree with us."
-- militant religionists everywhere
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro
[...]

The site http://www.indamixx.com/ indicates they configure a low-latency
kernel.

snip

I used to recommend 2K/XP for audio. Since Vista and the general
unpredictability of USB/Firewire interfaces, I tell people to use Macs.

I'm quite happy with an XP+Cubase rig for most of my recording at the
moment. In a few years time when that dies, I'll be on Linux or OSX.

I have no idea what those programs are or do. I would like to see Linux
version's of Nuendo and Reaper.

Perhaps Nuendo, as it runs on OSX/Win and so appears to have been written
with cross platform compatibility in mind. Reaper is unlikely, as it is
devoutly WIN32 and thus would be a huge job to port.

Both ports would use Jack, like all existing commercial audio software on
Linux. The basic framework for audio on Linux of ALSA+Jack is really
rather splendid compared to the somewhat ad hoc equivalents on other
operating systems.

--
You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one.