Posted to rec.audio.pro,
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default HHB CDR-800 holding a disc hostage

Well I knew it had to happen one day.

Can't get the partially finalized CD-R out.

This is that transport that also came out as a Fostex and Otari CD burner
where you put the CD in upside down.

Any body know of a secret manual open button or technique?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
Well I knew it had to happen one day.

Can't get the partially finalized CD-R out.

This is that transport that also came out as a Fostex and Otari CD burner
where you put the CD in upside down.

Any body know of a secret manual open button or technique?

Is there not a tiny hold where you can poke a paper-clip
to expel the tray? That is a common feature on most drives.
While powered-down, of course.

If not, you may have to disassemble the drive :-(

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Oct 19, 10:37*pm, Ty Ford wrote:
Well I knew it had to happen one day.

Can't get the partially finalized CD-R out.

This is that transport that also came out as a Fostex and Otari CD burner
where you put the CD in upside down.

Any body know of a secret manual open button or technique?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

I'm going to assume that you've shut the machine down and rebooted?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Ty Ford" wrote ...
Well I knew it had to happen one day.

Can't get the partially finalized CD-R out.

This is that transport that also came out as a Fostex and Otari CD burner
where you put the CD in upside down.

Any body know of a secret manual open button or technique?

Is there not a tiny hold where you can poke a paper-clip
to expel the tray? That is a common feature on most drives.
While powered-down, of course.

If not, you may have to disassemble the drive :-(

There is no little clip hole. Often when CDs get stuck in drives it is
because they aren't centered right and the cd is jammed against the front
wall and keeping the tray from opening. Shaking the whole machine can
get that settled.

But on the CDR-800, the transport is specifically designed to keep that
from happening... I have never had any issues like that on one of them.
I think you're going to have to pop the case opening... and I'd pop the
case if only to see what actually happened inside.

The CDR-800 is really bulletproof mechanically... I am very surprised at
this.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:27:22 -0400, Richard Kuschel wrote
(in article
):

On Oct 19, 10:37*pm, Ty Ford wrote:
Well I knew it had to happen one day.

Can't get the partially finalized CD-R out.

This is that transport that also came out as a Fostex and Otari CD burner
where you put the CD in upside down.

Any body know of a secret manual open button or technique?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

I'm going to assume that you've shut the machine down and rebooted?

Yes, many times and then with various buttons pushed to see if there was a
secret release. At one point it tried to resume finalization, got about ten
more seconds done then locked up again. I did pop the cover, but didn't see
any obvious place to mechanically release the disc.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

I did pop the cover, but didn't see
any obvious place to mechanically release the disc.

You probably have to remove the CD drive first, and them maybe take a
cover off that. Might as well learn what makes it tick while it's not
ticking.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:35:45 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:

I did pop the cover, but didn't see
any obvious place to mechanically release the disc.

You probably have to remove the CD drive first, and them maybe take a
cover off that. Might as well learn what makes it tick while it's not
ticking.

Nope. Save this for the other 800 users. Heard from the UK. Power down. Pop
the cover. As you look in from the front, down low on the left side is a
small white, rounded, plastic stub. Push it to the rear. Drive elevates and
pops open

CD has a scar on the data side at the center. Probably explains why it took
so long to run the setup. I think an errant bad disc may have been the cause.
The machine, however, will not reset and still shows RESUME, even with no
disc in, so I guess it's toast.

My Mac CD drive ejects the scratched CD and the RCA CD-R recorder sees the
scratched disc as a blank and wants to format it so it can record.

I'm trying to get at least the first 20-30 minutes off the disc, if not all
of it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

I did pop the cover, but didn't see
any obvious place to mechanically release the disc.

You probably have to remove the CD drive first, and them maybe take a
cover off that. Might as well learn what makes it tick while it's not
ticking.

It's not a discrete drive module on this machine.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

sometimes with some Audio CD recorders/ players, you can put in a good
disc, and let the machine read the Table of contents off the good
disc...

then leave the machine powered up, and mechanically open the door
(using small tools of destruction like a small screwdriver or whatever
it takes) and replace the good disc with the bad disc and hit play...

the machine will (if you are lucky) proceed to play the bad disc using
the TOC it stored from the good disc. The tracks will be all messed
up of course but you just want to recover the audio.

I know this works with the Philips CDR 560 recorders. Saved my butt
once.

Obviously you don't want to do this with your very best machine..

And of course its an analog transfer, not digital, but thats a lot
better than nothing.

If you find a machine that will do this, you can record another CD
with one long track and use it to feed the good TOC to the machine
before you do the swap, this will then play whatever is on the disc as
one long track.

or try this
http://www.isobuster.com/

I tried the demo version but it didn't work for me.. The TOC bait
and switch trick did work for me with the CDR 560.

Let us know what you figure out.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:25:16 -0400, Ty Ford
wrote:

My Mac CD drive ejects the scratched CD and the RCA CD-R recorder sees the
scratched disc as a blank and wants to format it so it can record.

I'm trying to get at least the first 20-30 minutes off the disc, if not all
of it. Any ideas?

I've seen burner programs, like an early EZ CD Creator, read a
disc with badly damaged TOC. Assuming that the missing TOC is
what the Mac is complaining about, maybe a burning program (on
another machine, if necessary) might read the data and allow
recovery.

Can't hurt to try, and good fortune.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:37:43 -0400, Chris Hornbeck wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

My Mac CD drive ejects the scratched CD and the RCA CD-R recorder sees the
scratched disc as a blank and wants to format it so it can record.

I'm trying to get at least the first 20-30 minutes off the disc, if not all
of it. Any ideas?

I've seen burner programs, like an early EZ CD Creator, read a
disc with badly damaged TOC. Assuming that the missing TOC is
what the Mac is complaining about, maybe a burning program (on
another machine, if necessary) might read the data and allow
recovery.

Can't hurt to try, and good fortune.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck

My Mac won't mount the CD, so no program has a chance in opening it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:00:56 -0400, Ty Ford
wrote:

I've seen burner programs, like an early EZ CD Creator, read a
disc with badly damaged TOC. Assuming that the missing TOC is
what the Mac is complaining about, maybe a burning program (on
another machine, if necessary) might read the data and allow
recovery.

My Mac won't mount the CD, so no program has a chance in opening it.

I'm not clear what specifically "mount" means to a Mac, but *if*
it means reading a TOC, and *if* a burning program's (maybe on a
different, less helpful, machine) copy function can work without
a TOC...

There used to be a CDROM newsgroup (in the .comp band?) with a
guy from Adaptec as a regular. Let me try to fire up my old
computer and research the names, and I'll get back to ya. The
Devil dwells in some details here that it seems nobody on this
newsgroup knows much about. At least haven't produced a silver
bullet. Arf.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

I've seen burner programs, like an early EZ CD Creator, read a
disc with badly damaged TOC. Assuming that the missing TOC is
what the Mac is complaining about, maybe a burning program (on
another machine, if necessary) might read the data and allow
recovery.

My Mac won't mount the CD, so no program has a chance in opening it.

I'm not clear what specifically "mount" means to a Mac,

When a drive is connected or data media inserted in a drive for
removable storage elements, if the Mac can "see" it, i.e., recognize the
format, an icon for that item will appear on the "desktop", and the
drive or media is then said to be "mounted".

Maybe Ty's disk wants it doggy style.

but *if*
it means reading a TOC, and *if* a burning program's (maybe on a
different, less helpful, machine) copy function can work without
a TOC...

Sounhack has been known to enable access to some screwed-up files.

http://www.soundhack.com/freeware.php

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
My Mac won't mount the CD, so no program has a chance in opening it.

That sounds exactly right. No operating system, Mac, PC, **ix,
etc. will be able to mount a volume with a damaged or missing TOC.

Dunno about the Mac world, but in PC-land there are ways to get
around the operating system's provincial view of the mass storage
volume. Clearly, if we are talking about a volume with a damaged
or missing TOC, then whatever means we use to recover the un-
indexed contents must go around the OS'es simplistic handling of
the volume.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert John Albert is offline

[[ "Ty Ford" wrote ...
My Mac won't mount the CD, so no program has a chance

in opening it.

That sounds exactly right. No operating system, Mac, PC,
**ix, etc. will be able to mount a volume with a damaged or
missing TOC.

Dunno about the Mac world, but in PC-land there are ways to
get around the operating system's provincial view of the
mass storage volume. Clearly, if we are talking about a
volume with a damaged or missing TOC, then whatever means we
use to recover the un- indexed contents must go around the
OS'es simplistic handling of the volume. ]]

Have you tried something called "Data Rescue", from Prosoft?
and
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

You can try DR in "test mode" to see if it will be able to
"see" the volume in question. If it DOES, the demo version
gives you the opportunity to recover ONE file. If that
works, it stands to reason that DR has a good chance of
recovering MORE files - at that point, you pay the fee for
the full version.

- John

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:35:51 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

There used to be a CDROM newsgroup (in the .comp band?) with a
guy from Adaptec as a regular. Let me try to fire up my old
computer and research the names, and I'll get back to ya.

The newsgroup was alt.comp.periphs.cdr and the guy's name is
Mike Richter. I've checked and the newsgroup has been driven
into the ground. Mike had a persistent stalker, who apparently
won. Happens, maybe too often lately.

VOTE!!! all ye Americans. For whoever ye choose, but VOTE.

(FWIW, I left work early to early vote today, and the line of cars
outside the parking lot, complete with traffic cop, at the library
(!) went out the drive, and then up the (five lane) street. I was
definitely impressed. God bless America.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Albert wrote:

Dunno about the Mac world, but in PC-land there are ways to
get around the operating system's provincial view of the
mass storage volume. Clearly, if we are talking about a
volume with a damaged or missing TOC, then whatever means we
use to recover the un- indexed contents must go around the
OS'es simplistic handling of the volume. ]]

In the Mac world, it's even easier, because the whole disk device can be
viewed as a raw file which is mapped to the disk. So writing a program
in user space which goes poking around on the drive isn't all that hard.

Have you tried something called "Data Rescue", from Prosoft?
and
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

You can try DR in "test mode" to see if it will be able to
"see" the volume in question. If it DOES, the demo version
gives you the opportunity to recover ONE file. If that
works, it stands to reason that DR has a good chance of
recovering MORE files - at that point, you pay the fee for
the full version.

Yes, this is the kind of thing you're going to need to do, if you can
get anything at all. If you have a lot of money, you can try talking
to the guys at Ontrack Data Recovery, who are experts at hand-repair of
damaged filesystems.

The nice thing about the CD is that it really isn't an actual filesystem,
it's just bulk data. So you can start reading anywhere and stop reading
anywhere and as long as you read sequentially you will have some audio
data. The CD was designed to be played back with the simplest possible
combinational logic in the player, which is a big help when you need to
recover data from a bad one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22 Oct 2008 20:39:38 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

John Albert wrote:

[...]

The Maestro. Clarity plus two possible solutions.

But ya know Scott, the other kids won't invite you to their birthday
parties if you answer too many questions in class, or don't fit in,
so try to play dumb a little bit Honey. You know your Mama only wants
the best for you. Me and Pa just don't want you to get the big head.

Otherwise, much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck