Jeffrey S. Long

Default Comments on my mix

I'm working on recording my roots rock/country band and I would like
some comments on the mix of one particular song. If you have time,
take a listen to this snippet and let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://jlong.zapto.org/anotherday90s.wav

Jeff Long

www.biginiowa.com
area242

"Jeffrey S. Long" wrote in message
om...
I'm working on recording my roots rock/country band and I would like
some comments on the mix of one particular song. If you have time,
take a listen to this snippet and let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://jlong.zapto.org/anotherday90s.wav

Jeff Long

www.biginiowa.com

My opinion: Bass could be a little louder, I can't hear the kick drum
hardly at all (seems dull too...no attack) and the vocals are way too
upfront. Also, the snare sound seems really...I don't know...bad? Of
course, just my opinions..and some of things you may be wanting or doing
intentionally. I hope this helps...

Tom Deflumere

"area242" wrote in message ...
"Jeffrey S. Long" wrote in message
om...
I'm working on recording my roots rock/country band and I would like
some comments on the mix of one particular song. If you have time,
take a listen to this snippet and let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://jlong.zapto.org/anotherday90s.wav

Jeff Long

www.biginiowa.com

My opinion: Bass could be a little louder, I can't hear the kick drum
hardly at all (seems dull too...no attack) and the vocals are way too
upfront. Also, the snare sound seems really...I don't know...bad? Of
course, just my opinions..and some of things you may be wanting or doing
intentionally. I hope this helps...

I'll weigh in. The sound card in the office computer is a decent
Echo running through a good Adcom amp and some large Polk speakers; if
the kick drum disappears on computer speakers, I wouldn't care much. I
like the presence and the quality of the kick drum ( I don't like to
hear much of the beater on kick drums- that's my taste ), and I
wouldn't boost the bass guitar at all. I would lower the vocals, but
not a whole lot, and I would try and get more of the top head and the
shell of the snare in the mix and less of that wires slapping against
the bottom head sound. The keys sound a little thin, and don't blend
into the mix so well.

No major objections whatsoever, and plenty good enough for a demo.