Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default No One Ever Did Any Research on Vinyl Records vs Audio CD

On 11/02/2017 1:22 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:
On 10/02/2017 1:50 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Note that if you wanted to, you could build the emphasis and
de-emphasis mechanically into the cutting head and phono cartridge.
It would have all manner of mechanical issues because physical
materials are imperfect, but folks did it back in the early days.

Of course, the RIAA curve was designed to approximate the natural slope
of crystal/ceramic cartridges, using simple EQ networks. As often
happens, things are chosen as much for compatibility reasons than for
ultimate performance.

Sort of, but not exactly. The idea is that you want constant displacement
(like with a piezo element) at low frequencies but you want constant velocity
(like with an electromagnetic transducer) at high frequencies.

That was my point, it was not necessarily what would necessarily be most
ideal, but what is easiest to achieve at minimal cost while maintaining
compatibility.

On playback, you can deal with this using a constant displacement piezo
transducer, combined with high frequency rolloff from an RC network.
It's not _just_ the natural slope of the cartridge, although that's one
big part of it.

Right, I was simplifying. Lets not even mention later changes to the low
end boost. :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Trevor wrote:

OK, thought you burned to a normal CDR drive after the show like I used
to do. No benefit in burning real time to a CDR drive, likely to cause
more problems with buffer under-run glitches than burning the file
later. And no benefit at all that I can see.

Much more convenient and provides a recording system that is totally
independent of the primary recorders just in case everything goes wrong.

Also can be started and stopped independently so that what makes it to
CD-R is different than what makes it to the primary recording.

It's all about getting a rough as fast as possible with as little effort
as possible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 12/02/2017 1:28 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:
OK, thought you burned to a normal CDR drive after the show like I used
to do. No benefit in burning real time to a CDR drive, likely to cause
more problems with buffer under-run glitches than burning the file
later. And no benefit at all that I can see.

Much more convenient and provides a recording system that is totally
independent of the primary recorders just in case everything goes wrong.

Yes a redundant system is always good. I usually use a Zoom for that.

Also can be started and stopped independently so that what makes it to
CD-R is different than what makes it to the primary recording.

Hardly relevant when you can simply edit out anything later.

It's all about getting a rough as fast as possible with as little effort
as possible.

Fair enough. The few seconds it takes to initiate the burn of a CD has
never justified me buying a stand alone CD recorder, but I can see it
might for others. I don't routinely give a CD on the night though, only
if asked, so that makes a difference for me.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

** The "Trevor" autistic retard has been making a ASS of himself all
over usenet and the PLANET for as long as the bull****ting prick has
been alive.

Lets all hope he drops dead soon.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 12/02/2017 7:50 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
** The "Trevor" autistic retard has been making a ASS of himself all
over usenet and the PLANET for as long as the bull****ting prick has
been alive.

Lets all hope he drops dead soon.

So off your meds you forgot you posted this already I see. Sad that you
have no-one to help you remember to take your meds.
And you must get sick of finding a new account every time people
complain and you get dropped. I only saw these because you keep getting
past my blocked sender list every time you get a new account. :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

** The "Trevor" autistic retard has been making a ASS of himself all
over usenet and the PLANET for as long as the bull****ting prick has
been alive.

Lets all hope he drops dead soon.

And you must get sick of finding a new account every time people
complain and you get dropped.

** Wot utter bull****.

I had been using the same news server (individual.net) for about the last 10 years, then changed to using Google Groups after buying a new PC since Windows 7 does not support Outlook Express.

I use Thunderbird for email for the same reason.

Thanks for another superfluous PROOF what a complete prick you are.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/02/2017 10:10 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

I had been using the same news server (individual.net) for about the
last 10 years, then changed to using Google Groups after buying a new
PC since Windows 7 does not support Outlook Express.

I use Thunderbird for email for the same reason.

Why don't you use Thunderbird for newsgroups ? Way better than OE ever was !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/02/2017 09:55, geoff wrote:
On 12/02/2017 10:10 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

I had been using the same news server (individual.net) for about the
last 10 years, then changed to using Google Groups after buying a new
PC since Windows 7 does not support Outlook Express.

I use Thunderbird for email for the same reason.

Why don't you use Thunderbird for newsgroups ? Way better than OE ever
was !

Not to mention being better than Google Groups will ever be, apart from
the archive.

Although, Pan is available for Windows as well as Linux, and is better
than Thunderbird in some people's opinion.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

On
I had been using the same news server (individual.net) for about the
last 10 years, then changed to using Google Groups after buying a new
PC since Windows 7 does not support Outlook Express.

I use Thunderbird for email for the same reason.

Why don't you use Thunderbird for newsgroups ?

** It refused to access "individual.net" for me.

Way better than OE ever was !

** OE was fine.

Way better than GG for sure.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/02/2017 11:28, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

Why don't you use Thunderbird for newsgroups ?

** It refused to access "individual.net" for me.

Probably a local configuration (Firewall or login details?) or ISP
problem, I've been using it on news.individual.net via BT Internet and
various mobile services on port 119 since before it stopped being free.

Have you tried Pan?

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

geoff wrote:

Why don't you use Thunderbird for newsgroups ?

** It refused to access "individual.net" for me.

Probably a local configuration (Firewall or login details?) or ISP
problem, I've been using it on news.individual.net via BT Internet and
various mobile services on port 119 since before it stopped being free.

Have you tried Pan?

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

Or sorting what your Thunderbird.v.individual.net issue was (presumably
a server port setting or something ....).

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 3:50:08 AM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor wrote:

** The "Trevor" autistic retard has been making a ASS of himself all
over usenet and the PLANET for as long as the bull****ting prick has
been alive.

Lets all hope he drops dead soon.

*PLUNK!*