Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Default DacMagic Plus Power Supply - should I replace it

Hello Group,

I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and it comes with a wall wart AC to
DC power supply, it contains a switching power supply for 12 Volts DC. It
really bugs me that they would use a wall wart for a fairly good quality
product. This DAC makes my CD players sound very nice. Are others familiar
with this product, is it worth replacing the wall wart with a proper linear
DC power supply?

Thanks,

Shaun
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg[_12_] Greg[_12_] is offline

On 2014-04-21 10:29:27 +0000, news said:

Hello Group,

I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and it comes with a wall wart AC to
DC power supply, it contains a switching power supply for 12 Volts DC. It
really bugs me that they would use a wall wart for a fairly good quality
product. This DAC makes my CD players sound very nice. Are others familiar
with this product, is it worth replacing the wall wart with a proper linear
DC power supply?

Thanks,

Shaun

I don't know, but I'd be trying it with a battery and listening.
I know a battery pack made a positive difference with my Audiophilleo.

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

"Greg" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 2014-04-21 10:29:27 +0000, news said:

Hello Group,

I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and it comes with a wall wart AC to
DC power supply, it contains a switching power supply for 12 Volts DC. It
really bugs me that they would use a wall wart for a fairly good quality
product. This DAC makes my CD players sound very nice. Are others
familiar
with this product, is it worth replacing the wall wart with a proper
linear
DC power supply?

Thanks,

Shaun

I don't know, but I'd be trying it with a battery and listening.
I know a battery pack made a positive difference with my Audiophilleo.

Greg

Thanks...

I don't know why I haven't tried that yet? I have several good 12 Volt SLA
batteries. Before I was looking into it, I thought the DC voltage was 5
instead of 12 volts.
I'll give it a try.

Shaun
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

On 2014-04-22 21:51:43 +0000, news said:

"Greg" wrote in message
b.com...

On 2014-04-21 10:29:27 +0000, news said:

[...]

Another relatively inexpensive option would be a 12v power supply such
as we ham radio nerds use. They are heavily filtered and designed not
to give spurious emissions. Obviously a battery is the best option for
noise, but you should be careful lest you wear the battery out over
time.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

On 2014-04-22 21:51:43 +0000, news said:

"Greg" wrote in message
b.com...

On 2014-04-21 10:29:27 +0000, news said:

[...]

Making up a Li-Ion pack would solve the wearing out problem. However three
cells is 10.8v and four is 14.4v. :-/

Li-Ion is such a great technology and is getting quite affordable - not just
the cells but small charge / discharge controller PCBs. It's just a shame
that the cell voltage (and multiples thereof) don't fit easilly with
commonly used voltages.
--
/Shaun

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 2014-04-22 21:51:43 +0000, news said:

b.com...

On 2014-04-21 10:29:27 +0000, news said:

Hello Group,

[...]

An option is to use a DC to DC converter to boost the voltage.