Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

Default IBM in 1953

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:23:27 +0200, jh wrote:

Am 17.04.2012 15:56, schrieb Phil Allison:
"jh"

...you don't believe Jim Marshall's own words?

** I am quoting him, from at least two magazine articles.

You bull****ting idiot.

BTW - where is your source - as you're "quoting him" ???

** You quoted no source at all.

you did not either

** FFS - get cause and effect figured out, ****head.

Then GO DROP ****ING DEAD !!

You revolting, wog nut case retard.

exactly....

** FFS - get cause and effect figured out, ****head.

Jim Marshall himself said several times, that he "invented" the slant
simply because he did not like the optics of the (fairly small) JTM45
head sitting on the straight cab. (for example: Page 12 - The History of
Marshall - and proofread by JM himself!!)

Your arguments? TGDFD??? You don't ´need to...

read back again in this thread - you chimed in, trying to prove that i'm
wrong - so back it up - nothing yet

baaah

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

The 'reason': "The stack derived from both a desire to project sound
better and a desire to have an intimidating backline. In 1964, John
first connected his Marshall JTM45 to, first one, then two
side-by-side Celestion G12-loaded Marshall 4x12s. Pete followed this
up by placing his Marshall 4x12 on a waist-high metal stand, thus
generating considerable feedback to the guitar’s pickups. Next,
possibly due to the small stages at the time, as well as to create an
imposing visual force, Pete stacked one cabinet atop another, driven
by his ’64 blonde Fender Bassman 50w head (gold sparkle grille, white
round knobs), and thus the “stack” was born. The bottom cabinet was
likely a dummy."

Townsend on why 'high':"“Where I stood on the stage was a piano, and I
stuck my cabinet on it and it was dead level with the guitar... And I
started to get these feedback effects that I really liked. When I went
to other gigs and put the speakers on the floor, it wouldn’t happen.
So I started to put it up on a chair and then I decided to stack the
things so that I could induce feedback.”

Townsend wants 100 Watts and a 'big 8': "I think that came about in
’65, when Townshend said he needed 100-watt heads. We made the first
three 100-watt heads for him. I asked him what sort of cabinet he
wanted, and he said he wanted eight 12s in one cabinet."

Marshall on the slant: "I said that a big square cabinet with a little
amplifier on top would look ridiculous" ... Marshall builds the 8x12
and slants the top two 12s, open back ... "I told him his roadies were
going to kill him, but he said, ‘They get paid.’ Two weeks later he
came back and told me I was right, and he asked if I could cut it in
half. I told him to leave it to me, and that I would redesign
something that would do the job. I went back to the straight 100 4 X
12, which is now the bottom cabinet, and put the angled one on top,
and the amplifier on top of that. The stack was born."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:20:10 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962.

Right, he cared for 'ridiculous' looking in 1965 but not in 1962.

From The History of Marshall: The Illustrated Story of "the Sound of
Rock," page 12

http://books.google.com/books?id=E90...nsions&f=false

"Then we had the idea of putting four 12" speakers in the smallest
enclosure we could. There was nothing brilliant about designing the
first 4x12; it was purely the most convenient size to get in the
transport the groups had in those days. I thought that it didn't look
very nice with just the amp sitting on top, so I did the angle to
match the dimensions of the amplifier and make it look like a neater
package. We were really proud when we finished it."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"flipper = ****head "

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962.

Right, he cared for 'ridiculous' looking in 1965 but not in 1962.

** HUH ??

What illegal drugs are you on - ****head ??

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jh[_2_] jh[_2_] is offline

Am 18.04.2012 02:54, schrieb Phil Allison:
"jh" = RABID ****ING NUTTER

Jim Marshall himself said several times, that he "invented" the slant
simply because he did not like the optics of the (fairly small) JTM45 head
sitting on the straight cab. (for example: Page 12 - The History of
Marshall - and proofread by JM himself!!)

** All depend what the ****ing QUESTION was - you ****ing ASD ****ed
****wit !!!!!!!!!!!

The **PURPOSE** of the slanted front is to project sound upwards to an
elevated audience.

Now, whether or not Jim actually thought of it before making the suggestion
to his workers is MOOT !!!

FFS - Jim Marshall was a ****ING DRUMMER with NO CLUE AT ALL about
either amplifiers or how sound works.

FFS - get cause and effect figured out, ****head.

Then GO DROP ****ING DEAD !!

You revolting, wog nut case ****ing retard.

Phil,

running out of arguments you are?

If you imbecile would not have snipped my context, then you could read,
that the slant of the marshall cabs would not have been there if Jim had
liked the optics of a straight cab... Although he was a drummer, he did
not need a clue - as *his* name was printed on his amps.

Nothing bout purpose...

so back up or shut up

Jochen

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jh[_2_] jh[_2_] is offline

Am 18.04.2012 06:01, schrieb Phil Allison:
"flipper = ****head"

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962.

Right, he cared for 'ridiculous' looking in 1965 but not in 1962.

** HUH ??

What illegal drugs are you on - ****head ??

.... Phil

"The History of Marshall: The Illustrated Story of "the Sound of Rock"
page 12

;-)

proof read and revised by Jim Marshall
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"jh"

What illegal drugs are you on - kraut ****head ??

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jh[_2_] jh[_2_] is offline

Am 18.04.2012 07:35, schrieb Phil Allison:

What illegal drugs are you on - kraut ****head ??

.... Phil

drugs which still allow me to read - and understand facts - kiwi

Jochen
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"jh"

What illegal drugs are you on ??

you ILLITERATE kraut ****head

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jh[_2_] jh[_2_] is offline

Default Phil - it gets boring

you've got no arguments

nada
niente
gar nix

and you won't come up with any

I highly regard your technical knowledge, but in this case you are *LOST*

over and out

Jochen

Am 18.04.2012 07:40, schrieb jh:
Am 18.04.2012 07:34, schrieb Phil Allison:
"jh" = RABID ****ING NUTTER

Jim Marshall himself said several times, that he "invented" the slant
simply because he did not like the optics of the (fairly small) JTM45
head
sitting on the straight cab. (for example: Page 12 - The History of
Marshall - and proofread by JM himself!!)

** All depend what the ****ing QUESTION was - you ****ing ASD ****ed
****wit !!!!!!!!!!!

The **PURPOSE** of the slanted front is to project sound upwards to an
elevated audience.

Now, whether or not Jim actually thought of it before making the
suggestion
to his workers is MOOT !!!

FFS - Jim Marshall was a ****ING DRUMMER with NO CLUE AT ALL about
either amplifiers or how sound works.

FFS - get cause and effect figured out, ****head.

Then GO DROP ****ING DEAD !!

You revolting, wog nut case ****ING retard.

Aaah nothing

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:01:18 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"flipper = ****head "

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962.

Right, he cared for 'ridiculous' looking in 1965 but not in 1962.

** HUH ??

You wouldn't be "huh??" confused if you had read the rest instead of
snipping it.

What illegal drugs are you on - ****head ??

... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

flipper = ****head "

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that
date
from late 1962.

Right, he cared for 'ridiculous' looking in 1965 but not in 1962.

** HUH ??

You wouldn't be "huh??" confused if you had read the rest instead of
snipping it.

** For CHRIST'S SAKE - you ****ing ****head !!!

YOU did *NOT READ* what I wrote at all - as ****ING USUAL !!!

FFS - GO BACK and ****ING DO SO !!!!!

I absolutely know you won't -

cos you are an ASININE ****ing SEPTIC PIG.

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default PV JSX Guitar Amp

On Apr 17, 1:42*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:46:46 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
On Apr 15, 7:48*pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:15:40 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Don Pearce"
"Phil Allison"
"Don Pearce"
"Phil Allison"

"John L Stewart"

Did an Impedance Plot for the speaker. I need to get me a white & pink
noise source. Would make that kind of measurement easier.

** How so ??

Impedance plots are best done with a slow sine wave sweep while feeding
the
speaker from a high impedance ( 600ohms plus) source.

It is also vital that the speaker be placed well clear of the floor
and any other obstructions. Anything like that will show up as an
error in the impedance plot.

** ********.

Not ******** at all.

** *It is utter ********.

* You asinine PEDANTIC *****.

... *Phil

So I've measured the utter ******** for you (still in dB form because
Audition won't do the calculation needed to turn it to impedance).

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/look/speaker_imp.png

The speaker is fed via a 100 ohm resistor, and the output is read
across the speaker terminals themselves.

*What you see here is the same speaker (Kef Cresta II) measured twice,
once with a book held a foot away from the cone. There are two effects
evident. The first is that the frequencies of the impedance peaks have
shifted up slightly with the book in place (blue trace), and secondly
there is considerable disturbance to the actual impedance, mainly at
the lower peak and the intermediate dip - but also in a considerable
modification to the upper slope of the top peak where there is a bit
of a wobble.

So yes, it is important to keep the area around the speaker clear of
clutter when you measure the impedance.

I have no doubt that Phil will try to come back with some guttersnipe
defence of his position, but as you see it is untenable.

The differences between red line and blue lines with and without a
book held near a speaker are to my mind quite negligible, leading some
ppl to argue that claiming significant Z differences due to nearby
objects is "********", aka as bull**** or horse manure, bovine
fertilizer or even hiefer dust, ( the latter to not offend sensitive
older female farmers who'd always frown on the vulgarities speiled out
by the male species. ).

Presumably, a speaker box will affect the Z far more than a book held
a foot away. In fact, the Z curve with driver suspended in free air,
and in the geometric centre of a large room is somewhat a useless
curve to draw apart from deriving T&S parameters. The Z with driver in
box is VERY important.

Patrick Turner.

More blah blah blah.

Quite a few blahs with zero wisdom from you.

Patrick Turner.

d- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

You may be right, you may be wrong. I'll never know because there is
that about you which means I will never read a word you write.

I'm so utterly pleased and thrilled so POSITIVELY that you won't read
anything I type.

I'm at a stage in life where I have begun to hate having un-reasonable
fans, ie, those who don't like to ask awkward questions like I do.

Now WTF was it that you typed which was worth anyone reading?

Did anything you type make anyone question the world around them, so
they might become wiser?

Forget me, and yourself, but the world will always tolerate questions.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:43:31 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

flipper = ****head "

"flipper"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/g...hallstack.html

** Not one bit relevant to the issue.

The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that
date
from late 1962.

Right, he cared for 'ridiculous' looking in 1965 but not in 1962.

** HUH ??

You wouldn't be "huh??" confused if you had read the rest instead of
snipping it.

** For CHRIST'S SAKE - you ****ing ****head !!!

YOU did *NOT READ* what I wrote at all - as ****ING USUAL !!!

Wrong. I read it and you're the one who perpetually 'edits' what
people say, not I.

FFS - GO BACK and ****ING DO SO !!!!!

I absolutely know you won't -

cos you are an ASININE ****ing SEPTIC PIG.

Wrong again, and I'll quote it. You wrote

"** The slant front 4 x 12 cab was built after requests from
guitarists who regularly played in venues that were cinemas. Typical
cinemas of the era were converted ( or doubled as) live theatres and
so had " front stalls " at ground level and a " dress circle "
upstairs. Folk up stairs were missing out on the higher tones from
straight fronted cabs."

And, as has been shown from Marshall's own mouth, your quaint idea
didn't have a blessed thing to do with it. He slanted the 4x12 so it
would look good with the amp. In fact, he built the 4x12 *for* the
amp, while still a prototype, when the 2x12s didn't pass muster.

... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"flipper"

YOU did *NOT READ* what I wrote at all - as ****ING USUAL !!!

** This is what you failed to READ !!

" The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962."

Whatever the original motive or motives - they date from 1962 !!

You ****ing RETARDED ****wit.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:04:23 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"flipper"

YOU did *NOT READ* what I wrote at all - as ****ING USUAL !!!

** This is what you failed to READ !!

" The first ( 4 x 12) slant front cabs were sold to go with JTM45s that date
from late 1962."

Whatever the original motive or motives - they date from 1962 !!

You ****ing RETARDED ****wit.

No one is debating 'when' it was made, the topic was why he slanted
it, and from his own mouth he did that so it would look good with the
amp sitting on top.

.... Phil