Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Need good source for used equipment pricing

I expect to be moving later this year and I won't be able to take some
of my equipment with me. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is worth
or where to try to sell it. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 06:24:51 -0800, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

I expect to be moving later this year and I won't be able to take some
of my equipment with me. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is worth
or where to try to sell it. Any suggestions?

I sell stuff on Craigs List all the time. Just sold a pair of VTL 140
Monoblock amps that I have had sitting around for several years, Got $1500
for the pair. Nice thing about Craigs List is that it's local. The buyer
comes and gets the stuff, brings cash, no shipping. As to prices look on
E-Bay. That should give you a rough idea what people are paying for used
audio gear these days. Worst-case scenario, if you ask too much on
Craigs-List, and nobody bites, you can always re-list it at a lower price.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 06:24:51 -0800, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

I expect to be moving later this year and I won't be able to take some
of my equipment with me. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is worth
or where to try to sell it. Any suggestions?

I sell stuff on Craigs List all the time. Just sold a pair of VTL 140
Monoblock amps that I have had sitting around for several years, Got $1500
for the pair. Nice thing about Craigs List is that it's local. The buyer
comes and gets the stuff, brings cash, no shipping. As to prices look on
E-Bay. That should give you a rough idea what people are paying for used
audio gear these days. Worst-case scenario, if you ask too much on
Craigs-List, and nobody bites, you can always re-list it at a lower price.

I have a pair of Apogee Divas w/ DAX driven by dual 200w/c Classe amps.
I've used Craigslist and I like it but I'm not sure it is the best
choice for this. What do you think?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 06:05:40 -0800, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

[...]

Well, I reviewed a pair of Apogee Signatures once and I'd hate to have to
ship them anywhere. They weighed a ton and the MDF "cosmetic" cases for them
were real fragile. So, I'd say that a venue that let you sell something like
that locally would be a real boon. They come to your place, they bring money,
they cart heavy speakers away. Sounds good to me.

Of course, it might depend on the area your from. Here in the San Francisco
Bay Area, I see sings like Magneplanar speakers, Threshold monoblocks, Linn
Sondecks, Empire 598 and Panasonic SP-10 turntables for sale all the time
(along with more prosaic stuff like Emerson receivers and Ion turntables). So
I guess you'll just have to check your local home electronics category and
see what turns-up there.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:

Of course, it might depend on the area your from. Here in the San Francisco
Bay Area, I see sings like Magneplanar speakers, Threshold monoblocks, Linn
Sondecks, Empire 598 and Panasonic SP-10 turntables for sale all the time
(along with more prosaic stuff like Emerson receivers and Ion turntables). So
I guess you'll just have to check your local home electronics category and
see what turns-up there.

I live near Pittsburgh. We haven't had a high end store here in years
and most of the stuff on craigslist is pretty low end. Nevertheless,
you have an excellent argument. I couldn't begin to figure out how to
ship a pair of Apogees

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bob Marcus Bob Marcus is offline

On Feb 6, 9:24=A0am, Robert Peirce wrote:
I expect to be moving later this year and I won't be able to take some
of my equipment with me. =A0Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is wort=

or where to try to sell it. =A0Any suggestions?

Google "audio blue book." Should turn up some sources of info, but you
typically have to pay something for access. Audiogon is one site that
maintains a blue book database. Also, check eBay closed auctions. If
all else fails, try asking 50% of original list.

For selling, eBay or Audiogon are probably your best bets. The market
for the kinds of things you are selling is thinly spread, so the local
Craiglist is unlikely to yield good results unless you are in a major
city, and even then it's a crapshoot.

For shipping, a UPS Store or a Fedex Kinkos could help, for a fee of
course. Get an estimate before you list the items, so you can give
prospective buyers/bidders some idea of what to expect.

bob

Source for GOOD Audio Belts? Chris F.[_2_] Pro Audio 2 February 25th 11 03:14 AM
Good Source ? RealInfo Vacuum Tubes 0 June 18th 08 10:59 AM
Good source for belts? Tim Padrick Tech 3 November 15th 06 02:25 PM
Good source for overwrapping services? Leoaw3 Pro Audio 1 December 24th 04 12:54 AM
Good source for objective reviews? Mark Zarella Car Audio 2 August 20th 03 07:02 AM