Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Where can I find lossless downloads of individual tunes?

I use iTunes as a music server. Everything in it right now is AIF from
CDs and LPs. I thought to download some tunes from Apple but they are
all AAC. (AAC is described as being better than MP3, which I guess is
like having crap without the smell.) For some reason they don't support
AIF.

Is there a source of lossless downloads of individual tunes out there
somewhere? I did a google search but could not find anything. Some
sites weren't working and the ones I found that were didn't have the
kind of music I listen to. Mostly I listen to jazz but also some older
rock and classical.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
rh rh is offline

Robert Peirce writes:

I use iTunes as a music server. Everything in it right now is AIF from
CDs and LPs. I thought to download some tunes from Apple but they are
all AAC. (AAC is described as being better than MP3, which I guess is
like having crap without the smell.) For some reason they don't support
AIF.

Is there a source of lossless downloads of individual tunes out there
somewhere? I did a google search but could not find anything. Some
sites weren't working and the ones I found that were didn't have the
kind of music I listen to. Mostly I listen to jazz but also some older
rock and classical.

do a torrent search. Many torrents are in .flac format, and your torrent
software will let you p&c which tunes you want to dl. JM2C.

Terry

jersey123 jersey123 is offline
Junior Member

The Tennessee Titans are now making one thing clear, they are willing to pay Chris Johnson, and pay him handsomely.“We are willing to make him the highest payed running back in the history of the NFL. That is kind of who we are,” General manager Mike Reinfeldt said. Apparently, the Titans need Johnson to report to camp so that they can renegotiate his contract and give him the paycheck he is looking for. That payday would come after over a year of speculation on whether Johnson would ever receive the compensation he deserved after racking up more than 2,000 yards in 2009. He was only the sixth player in NFL history to reach 2,000 yards. Fellow players such as Stephen Tulloch had lobbied for Johnson to get a new contract, one that would protect him in case of injury. Johnson has worn Custom NFL Jerseys and amassed more than 4,500 yards over the past three years, more than any running back in the NFL over that time-period and is a three-time pro bowler. You can log on our Online Reggie Bush Dolphins Jersey and select our best quality Reggie Bush Dolphins Jersey and Reggie Bush Dolphins Jersey ,if you are true fans of Tennessee Titans.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:12:58 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

I use iTunes as a music server. Everything in it right now is AIF from
CDs and LPs. I thought to download some tunes from Apple but they are
all AAC. (AAC is described as being better than MP3, which I guess is
like having crap without the smell.) For some reason they don't support
AIF.

Is there a source of lossless downloads of individual tunes out there
somewhere? I did a google search but could not find anything. Some
sites weren't working and the ones I found that were didn't have the
kind of music I listen to. Mostly I listen to jazz but also some older
rock and classical.

My experience (and I'm afraid it's limited) is that Apple Store iTunes
downloads sound wretched - at least every one that I've downloaded has. My
last try was a 4-CD (if you bought it) set called "Miklos Rozsa, a Centennial
Celebration" from Varese Sarabande. It was unlistenable. Subsequently, I
borrowed a "hard copy" CD set from a friend who purchased it and ripped it
myself. My "rip" was 1000 times better than the iTunes Store download. Since
I already paid iTunes for the download, I don't feel that copying my friend's
CDs is piracy. Had I not already paid for it once, I wouldn't have done that.

Since then I've been very reluctant to buy anything else from iTunes as that
wasn't the first download with which I've been dissatisfied.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

I use iTunes as a music server. Everything in it right now is AIF from
CDs and LPs. I thought to download some tunes from Apple but they are
all AAC. (AAC is described as being better than MP3, which I guess is
like having crap without the smell.) For some reason they don't support
AIF.

Is there a source of lossless downloads of individual tunes out there
somewhere? I did a google search but could not find anything. Some
sites weren't working and the ones I found that were didn't have the
kind of music I listen to. Mostly I listen to jazz but also some older
rock and classical.

There are very few that are legal--which is one reason that peer-to-peer
sharing via torrents, and the binary newsgroups are so popular.

Good luck in finding what you want.

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:

[...]

Well, that's my point. See my comment about AAC. That's why I am
looking for a commercial source of lossless downloads. I don't mind
paying for them. I would just like to find some.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

How timely!! The latest issue of Macworld has an article, p. 64, on
high res downloads. Apparently there are some commercial sources.

I haven't checked them out but the author mentions about a dozen sites,
all the way from 16/44.1 to 24/96. Apparently, you can even find
24/192. It will take a while to check these out, but if anybody else is
heading down this road, check out the September, 2011 issue of Macworld.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:30:25 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

[...]

Someone recommended "torrents'' as being better quality than iTunes. While
this might be true, unless the torrents are coming from a real commercial
music site, my experience is that most of them are illegal copies.

I found that the problem with iTunes is not necessarily the fact that the
downloads are AAC, but rather that the quality of the transfers is just
overall poor. They sound harsh, distorted, somewhat compressed (in the analog
sense, not in the file sense) and just bad!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:04:52 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

How timely!! The latest issue of Macworld has an article, p. 64, on
high res downloads. Apparently there are some commercial sources.

I haven't checked them out but the author mentions about a dozen sites,
all the way from 16/44.1 to 24/96. Apparently, you can even find
24/192. It will take a while to check these out, but if anybody else is
heading down this road, check out the September, 2011 issue of Macworld.

Heck, you can even find DSD downloads!

http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
Greg Wormald wrote:

There are very few that are legal--which is one reason that peer-to-peer
sharing via torrents, and the binary newsgroups are so popular.

They are also popular because many people have no qualms about stealing
things.

[ Please make sure replies are directly on the subject
of high-end audio. There are plenty of other places
to discuss copyright infringement. -- dsr ]

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:04:52 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

How timely!! The latest issue of Macworld has an article, p. 64, on
high res downloads. Apparently there are some commercial sources.

I haven't checked them out but the author mentions about a dozen sites,
all the way from 16/44.1 to 24/96. Apparently, you can even find
24/192. It will take a while to check these out, but if anybody else is
heading down this road, check out the September, 2011 issue of Macworld.

Heck, you can even find DSD downloads!

The download may be DSD but that gets changed as soon as you play it.

http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection

Since everybody's computer audio interface passes only PCM-signals, any
possible or impossible advantages of DSD get lost well before the music hits
the PC's output terminals.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Edmund[_2_] Edmund[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:09:32 +0000, Arny Krueger wrote:

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:04:52 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote (in article
):

How timely!! The latest issue of Macworld has an article, p. 64, on
high res downloads. Apparently there are some commercial sources.

I haven't checked them out but the author mentions about a dozen
sites, all the way from 16/44.1 to 24/96. Apparently, you can even
find 24/192. It will take a while to check these out, but if anybody
else is heading down this road, check out the September, 2011 issue of
Macworld.

Heck, you can even find DSD downloads!

The download may be DSD but that gets changed as soon as you play it.

http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection

Since everybody's computer audio interface passes only PCM-signals, any
possible or impossible advantages of DSD get lost well before the music
hits the PC's output terminals.

A very good reason why all owners of the Oppo's send an email to Oppo with
the request that they release a new firmware which support DSD from Hard Disk.

Edmund

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] bzlrbi@aaool.com is offline

On 15 Aug 2011 11:46:35 GMT, Greg Wormald

Robert Peirce wrote:

I use iTunes as a music server. Everything in it right now is AIF from
CDs and LPs. I thought to download some tunes from Apple but they are
all AAC. (AAC is described as being better than MP3, which I guess is
like having crap without the smell.) For some reason they don't support
AIF.

Is there a source of lossless downloads of individual tunes out there
somewhere? I did a google search but could not find anything. Some
sites weren't working and the ones I found that were didn't have the
kind of music I listen to. Mostly I listen to jazz but also some older
rock and classical.

There are very few that are legal--which is one reason that peer-to-peer
sharing via torrents, and the binary newsgroups are so popular.

Good luck in finding what you want.

Greg

Here's a legal one. It's all live, bootleg music (i.e. not studio),
sanctioned by the artists. So, quality will vary, but much of it
sounds wonderful. There are always some 24bit uploads, available,
too: search for "flac24"

There are plenty more legal torrent trackers, too... but again, not
studio music.

http://bt.etree.org/index.php

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:09:32 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Now that depends upon how one plays it back. Until one actually plays it,
it's just a computer file. When I play it, I transfer the FILE to my Korg
MR-1000 and play it through my stereo from that. I get real DSD playback. I
understand that there are several software players for the Mac that will
correctly decode DSD as well. There might be for Windows as well, but I don't
"do" music on my Windows laptop, so I cannot say.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath David E. Bath is offline

In article ,
Audio Empire writes:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:09:32 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

Since everybody's computer audio interface passes only PCM-signals, any
possible or impossible advantages of DSD get lost well before the music hits
the PC's output terminals.

Now that depends upon how one plays it back. Until one actually plays it,
it's just a computer file. When I play it, I transfer the FILE to my Korg
MR-1000 and play it through my stereo from that. I get real DSD playback. I
understand that there are several software players for the Mac that will
correctly decode DSD as well. There might be for Windows as well, but I don't
"do" music on my Windows laptop, so I cannot say.

A quick Google seach for Windows DSD plugin found this:

http://dsd-playback-plug-in.software.informer.com/

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

[...]

OK

I understand that there are several software players for the Mac that
will
correctly decode DSD as well. There might be for Windows as well, but I
don't
"do" music on my Windows laptop, so I cannot say.

Most have the same problem that I mentioned above. There is such a thing as
the Prism ADA-8XR. external Firewire-attached DVD audio interface that runs
about $12K.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:

\ Now that depends upon how one plays it back. Until one actually plays
it,
it's just a computer file. When I play it, I transfer the FILE to my Korg
MR-1000 and play it through my stereo from that. I get real DSD playback. I
understand that there are several software players for the Mac that will
correctly decode DSD as well. There might be for Windows as well, but I don't
"do" music on my Windows laptop, so I cannot say.

Pure Music 3 does DSD. It seems to do just about everything.

oppobamyimpuh oppobamyimpuh is offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to oppobamyimpuh

mnbvcxz3313 1203
Iceplelam Iceplelam is offline
Banned

Location: Hungary
Send a message via ICQ to Iceplelam

VigRX Together with 5 Month Up Virile Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Massive Saving, Harmony Now! It is truly an awesome In stock VigRX Coupled with 5 Month Supply Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills.I warmly advisable Sellathon VigRX Extra 5 Month Afford Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills payment anyone.I absolutly sympathy it!

We Look like and Decide Scanty Prices to put up You Here! Best Offers Today!

Because of men who want bigger, harder, longer-lasting erections, there's from time to time VigRX Plus. VigRX Bonus is the penis enhancement offshoot that delivers the most results in the shortest time. You'll have a larger penis when you're aroused, with greater erection space and longer-lasting animal performance.

Month #1: The prime novelty that you can count on to profit from is longer everlasting erections. TVigRX And 5 Month Provisioning Manly Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Do not Miss!! For men who in need of bigger, harder, longer-lasting erections, there's at the moment VigRX Plus. VigRX Profit is the penis enhancement result that delivers the most results in the shortest time. You'll take a larger penis when you're aroused, with greater erection capacity and longer-lasting earthy performance.

Month #1: The earliest change that you can wait for to the time of one's life is longer lasting erections. T... VigRX Gain 5 Month Rig out Manly Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Read More
Manoeuvre Less And Put by More,Do not Dodge Our Best Act on
More Details & Allow In this day!

Cheapest Expense VigRX Plus 5 Month Afford Virile Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Kindest Buy off VigRX Plus 5 Month Equip Manful Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
On Trade VigRX Plus 5 Month Afford Manful Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Reduce VigRX Supplementary 5 Month Supply Virile Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Iceplelam Iceplelam is offline
Banned

Location: Hungary
Send a message via ICQ to Iceplelam

VigRX Together with 5 Month Supply Male Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Massive Providence, Order Now! It is really an dazzling Trading VigRX Increased by 5 Month Deliver Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills.I highly exhort Rummage sale VigRX Plus 5 Month Supply Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills in place of anyone.I absolutly fervour it!

We Correspond and Determine Muffled Prices to offer You Here! Best clothes Offers Today!

Allowing for regarding men who want bigger, harder, longer-lasting erections, there's for the nonce VigRX Plus. VigRX Plus is the penis enhancement product that delivers the most results in the shortest time. You'll be experiencing a larger penis when you're aroused, with greater erection volume and longer-lasting procreative performance.

Month #1: The initial exchange that you can presume to enjoy is longer lasting erections. TVigRX Plus 5 Month Delivery Male Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Do not Oversight!! After men who want bigger, harder, longer-lasting erections, there's stylish VigRX Plus. VigRX Profit is the penis enhancement by-product that delivers the most results in the shortest time. You'll take a larger penis when you're aroused, with greater erection function and longer-lasting bodily performance.

Month #1: The earliest variation that you can watch to take is longer everlasting erections. T... VigRX Plus 5 Month Purvey Manly Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Comprehend More
Drive Less And Save More,Do not Yearn for Our Most Contract
More Details & Allow Now!

Cheapest Price VigRX Together with 5 Month Supply Virile Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Nicest Buy VigRX Addition 5 Month Equip Man's Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
On Sellathon VigRX Plus 5 Month Victual Manly Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Discount VigRX Added 5 Month Gear up Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills

Iceplelam Iceplelam is offline
Banned

Location: Hungary
Send a message via ICQ to Iceplelam

VigRX Gain 5 Month Purveying Male Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Massy Providence, Harmony Nowadays! It is really an amazing Sale VigRX Coupled with 5 Month Contribute Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills.I highly recommend Sale VigRX Increased by 5 Month Contribute Manful Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills payment anyone.I absolutly sympathy it!

We Look like and Determine Low Prices to put up You Here! A- Offers Today!

Allowing for regarding men who be bigger, harder, longer-lasting erections, there's now VigRX Plus. VigRX Bonus is the penis enhancement offshoot that delivers the most results in the shortest time. You'll be experiencing a larger penis when you're aroused, with greater erection capacity and longer-lasting procreative performance.

Month #1: The first change that you can count on to enjoy is longer everlasting erections. TVigRX Increased by 5 Month Cater to Spear Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Do not Misunderstand!! After men who pine for bigger, harder, longer-lasting erections, there's in the present circumstances VigRX Plus. VigRX Plus is the penis enhancement by-product that delivers the most results in the shortest time. You'll prepare a larger penis when you're aroused, with greater erection function and longer-lasting bodily performance.

Month #1: The ahead substitution that you can wait for to take is longer permanent erections. T... VigRX With an increment of 5 Month Rig out Manful Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills Understand More
Coerce Less And Prevent More,Do not Yearn for Our Most Deal
More Details & Allow Instant!

Cheapest Evaluation VigRX Plus 5 Month Supplying Man's Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Nicest Buy off VigRX With an increment of 5 Month Rig out Spear Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
On Sellathon VigRX Additional 5 Month Victual Virile Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills
Discount VigRX Added 5 Month Come up with Masculine Enhancemnt Penis Enlargement Pills

Is Lossless FLAC Really Lossless? mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 6 November 3rd 09 07:38 AM
Downloads home · Trial downloads · Updates · Exchange · [email protected] Pro Audio 0 March 12th 08 12:32 PM
Is "Apple Lossless" really lossless? feedback High End Audio 6 March 8th 06 02:19 AM
new tunes Nate Najar Pro Audio 0 September 15th 05 04:14 PM
new tunes Nate Najar Pro Audio 11 August 13th 05 04:21 PM