Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ron Ron is offline

Default ESS AMT-1 Speaker Question

I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

http://i56.tinypic.com/wtsoaq.jpg

If you need more/better pics let me know.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 10/1/2011 8:29 AM, Ron wrote:
I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

http://i56.tinypic.com/wtsoaq.jpg

If you need more/better pics let me know.

They use the Heil Air Motion Transformer - and yours looks to be
original AFAICT. They always did look like an add-on kludge when you
took the top "grill" off. These are still available - but pricey.
Part-express has them for $350, and you can find them used on ebay
frequently. See the link below for the PE new ones (no affiliation
other than being a customer).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-600

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Seedhouse[_2_] Ed Seedhouse[_2_] is offline

On Oct 1, 8:29=A0am, Ron wrote:
I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

The tweeter was called an "air motion transducer" and probably the
only replacements you are going to find is from a working speaker
since the company is long out of business. There is a wikipedia
article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESS_speakers. In any event
any number of more modern and far cheaper speakers will easily
outperform them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 08:29:11 -0700, Ron wrote
(in article ):

I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

http://i56.tinypic.com/wtsoaq.jpg

If you need more/better pics let me know.

The AMT-1 used Dr. Oscar Heil's Air-Motion-Transformer for a tweeter (that's
what AMT stood for). If ESS is still in business, you might be able to get a
replacement for your blown tweeter, but if not, you're out of luck, I'm
afraid.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 1, 2:50pm, Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:29am, Ron wrote:

I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

The tweeter was called an "air motion transducer" and probably the
only replacements you are going to find is from a working speaker
since the company is long out of business. There is a wikipedia
article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESS_speakers. In any event
any number of more modern and far cheaper speakers will easily
outperform them.

I know other speakers will outperform them. I'm using a pair of
Klipsch CF-3s on my main stereo system.

My father recently passed away and he had these in one of his storage
sheds. He got them from an estate sale and never hooked them up. I
plan to use them paired with an original pair of Klipsch Heresys that
I have on my secondary stereo.

I tell one thing though, those ESS's have a TON of bass.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 1, 10:54=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 08:29:11 -0700, Ron wrote
(in article ):

I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

http://i56.tinypic.com/wtsoaq.jpg

If you need more/better pics let me know.

The AMT-1 used Dr. Oscar Heil's Air-Motion-Transformer for a tweeter (tha=

t's
what AMT stood for). If ESS is still in business, you might be able to ge=

t a
replacement for your blown tweeter, but if not, you're out of luck, I'm
afraid.

But, the speakers don't have the original tweeters. They appear to be
some type of ribbon tweeters. I'm just wondering if it can be
repaired.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 1, 1:52=A0pm, KH wrote:
On 10/1/2011 8:29 AM, Ron wrote:

I recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT-1 speakers.

They don't seem to have the original tweeters (from looking at
pictures of these speakers) and one of them is blown.

Can someone tell what kind of tweeter this is? And can it be
repaired?

http://i56.tinypic.com/wtsoaq.jpg

If you need more/better pics let me know.

They use the Heil Air Motion Transformer - and yours looks to be
original AFAICT. =A0They always did look like an add-on kludge when you
took the top "grill" off. =A0These are still available - but pricey.
Part-express has them for $350, and you can find them used on ebay
frequently. =A0See the link below for the PE new ones (no affiliation
other than being a customer).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...mber=3D264-600

Keith

If you look at the tweeter in the pic that I posted, it's not the same
as the tweeter in the link that you posted. In EVERY picture that
I've looked at online the tweeters are the same as the one in the link
that you provided. So, apparently someone replaced the tweeters. I'm
just trying to figure out what they are. I do have a guy in town with
his own shop that repairs stereo eqt and TVs. I guess I just need to
take it to him to see if he can repair it. I don't want to put much
money into these speakers.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Ron" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 10:54 pm, Audio Empire wrote:
[...]

The driver you show in the picture seems to resemble this driver from the
Swiss company Precide:

http://www.precide.ch/eng/eheil/eheil.htm