Posted to rec.audio.pro
neumannu47[_2_] neumannu47[_2_] is offline

Default Axis: Bold As Love

I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well? (Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D converters.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

neumannu47 wrote:

I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well? (Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D converters.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

I'm curious why you feel you know from listening to a CD what is
intentional distortion and what is unintentional distortion.

I think you'd have to listen to the vinyl to approach figuring that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 25 May 2011, neumannu47 wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised
by how much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has
been a LONG time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as
well? (Obviously I'm not talking about Hendrix' guitar being
distorted.) My CD is probably one of the first releases, so the
distortion may be in the A-D converters.

Name a couple of specific points you're wondering about and I'll check
my original vinyl.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

hank alrich wrote:
neumannu47 wrote:

I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well? (Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D converters.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

I'm curious why you feel you know from listening to a CD what is
intentional distortion and what is unintentional distortion.

I think that's what he's trying to figure out.

I think you'd have to listen to the vinyl to approach figuring that out.

That may not help. Especially if it's been Dynagrooved.

It's a hell of a world.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

neumannu47 wrote:
I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well?

Yes.

(Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D converters.

No, it's probably in the original source material.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

Hendrix tracked a lot of it himself.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

neumannu47 put forth the notion
:

I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well? (Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D

converters.

I have a Barclays import (vinyl), and it sounds pretty good all things
considered. The CD I have sounds terrible by comparison, but it's one of
the earlier versions so I'd hope subsequent re-releases were better.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

He was on that album.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message
neumannu47 wrote:
I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well? (Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D
converters.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

I'm curious why you feel you know from listening to a CD what is
intentional distortion and what is unintentional distortion.

I think you'd have to listen to the vinyl to approach figuring that out.

And I'm sure you couldn't tell from listening to the vinyl either!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

I think so.

I'm curious why you feel you know from listening to a CD what is
intentional distortion and what is unintentional distortion.

I think you'd have to listen to the vinyl to approach figuring that
out.

And I'm sure you couldn't tell from listening to the vinyl either!

It is a clean classical music style recording as I remember it from the
second hand copy I have. I count it as one of the vinyl records that have
consistently gotten better with each playback equipment upgrade.

Trevor

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On May 25, 5:16*pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
neumannu47 wrote:
I'm listening to Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and I'm surprised by how
much unintentional or unwanted distortion there is. It has been a LONG
time since I heard the vinyl. Is it distorted, as well? (Obviously I'm
not talking about Hendrix' guitar being distorted.) My CD is probably
one of the first releases, so the distortion may be in the A-D converters.

Wasn't Kramer the recording engineer?

I'm curious why you feel you know from listening to a CD what is
intentional distortion and what is unintentional distortion.

I think you'd have to listen to the vinyl to approach figuring that out.

--
shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://www.you...HankandShaidri

________________
Another thing about CD: When I rip mp3s from the CDs the volume is
any where from 96dB and up according to mp3Gain(max value is 105,
default 89). This goes for CDs I bought in the late '80s as well as
CDs from the 2000s - although CDs from less than 10 years ago clock in
at 98-99.5dB in mp3Gain. The older the CD - 1990s or '80s - the
"quiter" they are in level - mp3gain reporting 94-96dB.

Perhaps the CDs are too hot and are distorting the CD player circuitry
and amp stages of people's stereos. I noticed when I regain my CD
rips down to 91dB the dynamic range seems to improve because they're
not pegged up against some "ceiling".

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On May 29, 1:35*am, david correia wrote:
In article ,

Speaker on Axis Sound Davy Pro Audio 22 February 27th 09 12:46 AM
off-axis response (why is it such a big deal) genericaudioperson Pro Audio 3 December 6th 08 01:38 PM
what Ziad's decisive talent strokes, Yosri lifts in favour of proper, bold sketchs Gilbert[_5_] Car Audio 0 December 29th 07 10:20 PM
I'am single and want a true love for life, hope to meet someone serious about love [email protected] Pro Audio 0 June 8th 06 03:09 AM
I'am single and want a true love for life, hope to meet someone serious about love [email protected] Pro Audio 0 June 8th 06 03:08 AM