Posted to rec.audio.pro
5016 5016 is offline

Default Cost to build studio

I have a room about 1000sqft. I want to build a studio, no control
room, just a single room.

Very roughly, how much will it cost for me to pay to someone else to
build it? (I'm in suburban NY).

It does not have to be a commercial quality wow-me build, but it does
need to be very well sound insulated with soundproof windows, floating
floor, walls, ceiling redone and HVAC done right.

My first guess was $150K. More or less?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

5016 writes:

I have a room about 1000sqft. I want to build a studio, no control
room, just a single room.

Very roughly, how much will it cost for me to pay to someone else to
build it? (I'm in suburban NY).

It does not have to be a commercial quality wow-me build, but it does
need to be very well sound insulated with soundproof windows, floating
floor, walls, ceiling redone and HVAC done right.

My first guess was $150K. More or less?

There is a HUGE amount of information missing here. Right off the bat is ceiling
height. If it's 8 feet or less, you're screwed - at least to do what you state. If
it's 10 feet you're still screwed, just not quite as badly. If it's 12 to 16 ft, you
have a fighting chance. 20-24 feet, yeah, now you're cooking with gas.

What is the shape of the room?

What's in the neighborhood?

What are you going to do in the space?

If you're working with punk bands and there's not much else in the immediate area
outside, you can do with less iso than, say, if you were recording small, delicate
harps and the neighbor next door had the punk band, or there was a stamping mill or
freeway not far away.

$150K might be 10x more than you need, or it might be 2-3x less than you need,
depending on those beginning factors noted above. There's much, much more, as
well...

Forgive me, but are you trolling, or is this a serious question?

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
5016 5016 is offline

On May 20, 3:21*pm, Frank Stearns
wrote:
5016 writes:
I have a room about 1000sqft. I want to build a studio, no control
room, just a single room.
Very roughly, how much will it cost for me to pay to someone else to
build it? (I'm in suburban NY).
It does not have to be a commercial quality wow-me build, but it does
need to be very well sound insulated with soundproof windows, floating
floor, walls, ceiling redone and HVAC done right.
My first guess was $150K. More or less?

There is a HUGE amount of information missing here. Right off the bat is ceiling
height. If it's 8 feet or less, you're screwed - at least to do what you state. If
it's 10 feet you're still screwed, just not quite as badly. If it's 12 to 16 ft, you

15 feet

have a fighting chance. 20-24 feet, yeah, now you're cooking with gas.

What is the shape of the room?

In total there is 4500sqft that can be utilized as needed. The shape
of the room will be determined when detail design is carried out.

What's in the neighborhood?

Houses, that's why it needs to have very effective soundproofing

What are you going to do in the space?

Rehearse and record a single band. It will not be rented out to other
clients.

If you're working with punk bands and there's not much else in the immediate area
outside, you can do with less iso than, say, if you were recording small, delicate
harps and the neighbor next door had the punk band, or there was a stamping mill or
freeway not far away.

$150K might be 10x more than you need, or it might be 2-3x less than you need,
depending on those beginning factors noted above. There's much, much more, as
well...

Forgive me, but are you trolling, or is this a serious question?

It's serious. Obviously, the answer can only be very vague at this
stage. Just trying to get an order of magnitude estimate before
starting any serious design.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
*.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:
5016 writes:
I have a room about 1000sqft. I want to build a studio, no control
room, just a single room.
Very roughly, how much will it cost for me to pay to someone else to
build it? (I'm in suburban NY).
It does not have to be a commercial quality wow-me build, but it does
need to be very well sound insulated with soundproof windows, floating
floor, walls, ceiling redone and HVAC done right.
My first guess was $150K. More or less?

There is a HUGE amount of information missing here. Right off the bat is
ceiling height. If it's 8 feet or less, you're screwed - at least to do
what you state. If it's 10 feet you're still screwed, just not quite as
badly. If it's 12 to 16 ft, you

15 feet

That can be enough.

have a fighting chance. 20-24 feet, yeah, now you're cooking with gas.

What is the shape of the room?

In total there is 4500sqft that can be utilized as needed. The shape
of the room will be determined when detail design is carried out.

What's in the neighborhood?

Houses, that's why it needs to have very effective soundproofing

What are you going to do in the space?

Rehearse and record a single band. It will not be rented out to other
clients.

Rock band? I.e., fairly loud? Or not?

If you're working with punk bands and there's not much else in the
immediate area outside, you can do with less iso than, say, if you were
recording small, delicate harps and the neighbor next door had the punk
band, or there was a stamping mill or freeway not far away.

$150K might be 10x more than you need, or it might be 2-3x less than you
need, depending on those beginning factors noted above. There's much,
much more, as well...

Forgive me, but are you trolling, or is this a serious question?

It's serious. Obviously, the answer can only be very vague at this
stage. Just trying to get an order of magnitude estimate before
starting any serious design.

The catch there is you have to get to the point of closing in on at
least the outline of details before you can pin the amount of $ needed.

Is the budget for just the room, or will that also cover the equipment?

One more thought: if this is a fun project with no serious outcome
intended, cool. But if this is intended to be a serious project with
potentially successful commercial outcome, for a small fraction of that
amount of money one can record and mix and master in fine facilities
working with experienced engineers, and have a lot of money left over
for promtion and publicity, tour support, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

(hank alrich) writes:

5016 wrote:

-snips-

One more thought: if this is a fun project with no serious outcome
intended, cool. But if this is intended to be a serious project with
potentially successful commercial outcome, for a small fraction of that
amount of money one can record and mix and master in fine facilities
working with experienced engineers, and have a lot of money left over
for promtion and publicity, tour support, etc.

Hank has made perhaps the best point of all.

These days, $150K would buy a lot time in some good facilities.

Don't forget -- once you build a plant like this, you'll incur additional and
continuous expenses above and beyond a normal house.

If this is a commercial enterprise, be aware of zoning considerations. I know, I
know, you're under the radar by keeping it quiet. But good luck if for some awful
reason you need to make an insurance claim. (Insurance co.s love to bail if your
enterprise isn't dotted-"I"/crossed-"T" perfect... "Yes, we know, Mr. Homeowner,
your place was up to the more exacting commercial code but this is a residence -- so
no-go on your fire claim..." -- and crap like that.)

Also be aware of how zoning will affect what will be allowed on a permit. Do a
perfectly legit design, but one that looks commercial, and the local permit
authority might give you grief; varies quite a bit. And if you try to skip this, you
could have some real headaches downstream.

But still, from a technical standpoint, the single biggest deal really is the
ceiling height. What are your options there?

I admire and encourage anyone who wants to dream, because most everything starts
from that place. But it's better to pop any balloons that might be prone to popping
well before they're attached to a gondola that's 4,000 feet in the air. g Or, you
get clever about keeping them from popping in the first place.

If after all things are considered and you've got enough balloons still inflated to
keep the enterprise afloat, go for it!

Best of luck with it.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

- snips -

Sorry, I missed this:

15 feet

That can be enough.

Indeed.

The main concern is with the drums, followed by what kind of overall sound you're
looking for and how the group performs together. If everything is tightly mic'd,
with amps sitting in iso-closets, and you dampen the hell out of the place, even 10
feet can sort-of work.

If you want options for some more "size" and depth in the sound (and generally a
more pleasant working experience as well as more flexibility), the height really
becomes important.

Are you going to contract this job (both design and build), or do some or all of it
yourself?

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
5016 5016 is offline

wrote:
5016 writes:
[...]

Yes, fairly loud rock band.

[...]

I'm trying to price out the room first. That's the difficult thing to
price out; equipment is straightforward to price.

One more thought: if this is a fun project with no serious outcome
intended, cool. But if this is intended to be a serious project with
potentially successful commercial outcome, for a small fraction of that
amount of money one can record and mix and master in fine facilities
working with experienced engineers, and have a lot of money left over
for promtion and publicity, tour support, etc.

This direction is not the most economically efficient one. But, at
least up to a point, that is not the primary consideration here.

Frank asks below whether this will be contracted out or not. The
entire build will be contracted out. I'm not entirely sure about how
much money would be allocated to the design stage, but this is a
single room and I would not be employing a high-dollar studio design
professional to manage the project. I would probably pay some
consulting fees to validate the approach. But I'm primarily interested
in approximate build costs.

--
shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://www.you...ankandShaidri- Hide quoted text -