Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Default Webcasting Mixer

On May 9, 4:40*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm in the process of updating a webcasting studio for a buddy. He has already
outgrown his Behringer X1204USB mixer. His biggest limitations are Aux outs
(only 2) and available channels. He needs two additional mix-minus feeds for
Skype and Paltalk computers.

Any of the following mixers will more than meet his audio quality needs. It's a
pretty tough exercise to decide whether to do analog or digital, whether to go
Firewire, or whether to go cheap. No effects are necessary, although per channel
compressors would be convenient. Ideally, all aux sends would be post fader.

Here are the mixers we're considering and a comment about each one. I realize
that the comparisons are not apples to apples. A key consideration is aux outs.

Mackie 1640i (Firewire and 6 aux outs, but costs almost as much as a Presonus)
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 (Amazing features but not best reliability so far)
Allen & Heath MixWizard3 16:2 (6 aux outs, 100mm faders)
Behringer UFX1604 (Looks fantastic but unknown shipping date; also cheap)

Any thoughts?

I know that the signal is better to go usb or firewire but I have run
into trouble with particular sites using software or systems that
require things of a computer that make those types of ins not work.
OK, let me make that simpler. Sometimes when you broadcast out through
a service, the mixers will not be recognized by the side and you'll
need to come out of an analog out and into the computer's sound card.
That happened to me last night with stageit.com when I did a house
concert live. I have no idea why it happened. The video feed was
accepted perfectly but I had to come out of the mixer and back into my
mac with a mini plug.
Since sound quality needs are not hard to meet on a broadcast like
that, I think I'm going to go analog into the computer sound card
every time now just to make life simple. It's not like I am recording
and I really don't want people to have a free, good recording.
Anyway, that's just a thought to consider. I'm into simple and
especially when I need to be in performance mode. It sucks to be
rushed, pushed or worried about things.