Walter Fordham Walter Fordham is offline
Junior Member

Default Detecting corrupt wav files

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, having just found it by searching for a tool that would read through a directory of wav files and let me know if any of them are corrupt. I found this discussion from 2004 -- [ http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=531 ] -- which I found very helpful.

My question now is this: What's new? New tools must have been created in the past 7 years that can open a wav, read the formatting data in the header, confirm that it is a valid wav format, and do some sort of diagnostics on the file as a whole.

I have a background in IT, but I'm not an audio guy by training. Now I find myself trying to help a non-profit archive backup and safeguard their audio files. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Walter
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

--
Walter Fordham

It's entirely possible that a data processing error or other "glitch"
might occur during recording or subsequent processing but before the
complete .wav file is written.
In such a case a valid .wav file might be written but contain an
audible
problem with the audio.
If this occurs there's no replacement for actually listening to
playback.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Walter Fordham wrote:
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, having just found it by searching for a tool
that would read through a directory of wav files and let me know if
any of them are corrupt. I found this discussion from 2004 -- [
http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=531 ] -- which I found
very helpful.

My question now is this: What's new? New tools must have been created
in the past 7 years that can open a wav, read the formatting data in
the header, confirm that it is a valid wav format, and do some sort of
diagnostics on the file as a whole.

I have a background in IT, but I'm not an audio guy by training. Now I
find myself trying to help a non-profit archive backup and safeguard
their audio files. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you actually have WAV files that have a corruption problem, or are you
looking for a problem that maybe does not (ie is extremely unlikely to)
exist ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

RD Jones wrote:

It's entirely possible that a data processing error or other "glitch"
might occur during recording or subsequent processing but before the
complete .wav file is written.
In such a case a valid .wav file might be written but contain an
audible
problem with the audio.
If this occurs there's no replacement for actually listening to
playback.

Sure there is! You take a checksum of the files, you store the checksums,
then later on you compare the file against the checksums and you know if
they have changed or not (within certain bounds).

The "cksum" utility has been around in Unix since the seventies....
back then file corruption was a much more common thing...

Detecting sinfulness in music Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 46 May 13th 07 11:14 AM
Corrupt MP3/MP1 Doughboy Pro Audio 0 May 28th 05 11:58 AM
Software for Detecting Pauses or Continuous leepeach Tech 2 April 6th 05 12:18 AM
Detecting corrupt wav files? Bill Miller General 7 January 16th 04 03:24 PM
Detecting corrupt wav files? Bill Miller Tech 0 January 13th 04 07:58 PM