Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Edmund[_2_] Edmund[_2_] is offline

Default Universal player

Hi experts,

Like to know about the internal working and audio specs of the Oppo BDP95.
I cannot find a frequency response or impulse response from it in SACD vs PCM mode.
Then about the attenuator, is that done in the digital part so that there are
no active components in the analog signal path?
And since it is an universal player, what do you guys think of the HDCP, is it
compatible with my Panasonic Plasma TV and does it jeopardize the picture quality?
Or better, can it be removed??
It seems like a very nice peace of work but I hate these region protection and
copy protection stuff that cripple the possibilities and/or quality and make these
players more expensive at the same time.

Edmund

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
anthony anthony is offline

On Apr 16, 10:47=A0pm, Edmund wrote:
Hi experts,

Like to know about the internal working and audio specs of the Oppo BDP95=

..
I cannot find a frequency response or impulse response from it in SACD vs=

PCM mode.
Then about the attenuator, is that done in the digital part so that there=

are
no active components in the analog signal path?
And since it is an universal player, what do you guys think of the HDCP, =

is it
compatible with my Panasonic Plasma TV and does it jeopardize the picture=

quality?
Or better, can it be removed??
It seems like a very nice peace of work but I hate these region protectio=

n and
copy protection stuff that cripple the possibilities and/or quality and m=

ake these
players more expensive at the same time.

Edmund

Can't answer the Q about the specs -- but I have heard that the BDP95
is in its audio mode v. similar to my own Oppo BDP-85 -- which means
very good indeed, for SACD and straight CD modes.
but real reason for answering is that the region protection is very
easy to get rid of in an affordable way. I'm in Australia, and wanted
to make my Oppo multi-region for Blu ray as well as for DVD, and found
on Ebay a mod kit from Denmark which was about $70, and took all of
five minutes to do the mod. Because it's a hardware mod, not a
software mod, it's not affected at all by any subsequent firmware
updating you may want to do.
The upscaling on the Oppo machine for standard DVDs is sensational by
the way -- a well-authored DVD can come up almost to Blu ray standard.
Australians (and other PAL-region dwellers) should note that the
upscaling seems to work only for NTSC-authored DVDs. Luckily, almost
all my DVDs are NTSC, since I preferred to put up with the slight pic
degradation of NTSC compared to PAL in favour of having movies which
ran at the correct speed, and which maintained correct audio pitch
(PAL movies are sped up by approx 4 per cent with corresponding lift
in audio pitch).
Cheers Anthony

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rockinghorse Winner[_6_] Rockinghorse Winner[_6_] is offline

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
anthony wrote:

On Apr 16, 10:47Â*pm, Edmund wrote:
[...]

thanks for the review. Have been looking at the BDP93 myself both for CD and
DVD duty. Do you know if your unit the '85', plays flac and ogg-vorbis
files? Or if the new Oppo Universal players do?

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2

NAD universal player MiNe 109 Audio Opinions 5 July 27th 08 07:23 PM
Best Universal Player under $350 Funserious1 General 4 April 20th 05 02:14 PM
Best Universal Player under $350? Tenpro3000 High End Audio 2 November 25th 04 06:01 AM
Universal Disc Player Peter Pro Audio 0 May 21st 04 03:30 AM
Opinion on universal player brunoman Audio Opinions 1 April 18th 04 08:15 PM