Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Gene[_4_] Gene[_4_] is offline

Default Brown base RCA 5692's?

I am currently sorting through an estate lot that belonged to an RCA field
engineer. Among the items there is a box of bulk packed tubes that are all
unbranded. My guess is that this was the way RCA traded tubes with other
manufacturers, which was a common practice due to the high cost of tooling a
tube production line. Along with the TV types, there are some 5692's that
have brown bases. I have been told that RCA 5692's ALWAYS have red bases,
does anyone know if RCA used brown bases when making 5692's for other
vendors, or does this mean they might not be RCA tubes? I suppose it is
possible the box I have were samples to RCA rather than from RCA. Some of
the other types in the same box were 5U4GB, 6BG6GA, 6DQ5, 6SN7GTB, 6AX4,
and 19T8 if that helps any.
Thanks!
-Gene

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
dre7 dre7 is offline

Not a total 6sn7 expert, but my understanding is RCA 5692 were always red
base. Now, red could be somewhat subjective, but the RCA's I've seen have
been pretty bright, cherry red that would not likely be confused with brown
of any kind.

My guess is what you have are most likely CBS Hytron or GE manufacture.

Andrew

"Gene" wrote in message
diainc...
I am currently sorting through an estate lot that belonged to an RCA field
engineer. Among the items there is a box of bulk packed tubes that are all
unbranded. My guess is that this was the way RCA traded tubes with other
manufacturers, which was a common practice due to the high cost of tooling
tube production line. Along with the TV types, there are some 5692's that
have brown bases. I have been told that RCA 5692's ALWAYS have red bases,
does anyone know if RCA used brown bases when making 5692's for other
vendors, or does this mean they might not be RCA tubes? I suppose it is
possible the box I have were samples to RCA rather than from RCA. Some of
the other types in the same box were 5U4GB, 6BG6GA, 6DQ5, 6SN7GTB, 6AX4,
and 19T8 if that helps any.
Thanks!
-Gene

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Gene[_4_] Gene[_4_] is offline

That has been my experience also, every RCA in my collection has a bright
red base.
Oh well, whatever they are, watch for them on eBay soon!
-Gene

"dre7" wrote in message
Not a total 6sn7 expert, but my understanding is RCA 5692 were always red
base. Now, red could be somewhat subjective, but the RCA's I've seen have
been pretty bright, cherry red that would not likely be confused with
brown of any kind.

My guess is what you have are most likely CBS Hytron or GE manufacture.

Andrew

diainc...