Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Glen Peters Glen Peters is offline

Default Newbie question

New to the group and had a question about what to use on some vintage
equipment. I have an old Marantz 2325 and am upgrading from stacked
Advents to Kappa 8's. Was wondering what speaker gauge wire the group
would recommend? Also, would be curious to hear what you think of the
pairing of these two? TIA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
August Karlstrom August Karlstrom is offline

On 2010-10-14 05:26, Glen Peters wrote:
New to the group and had a question about what to use on some vintage
equipment. I have an old Marantz 2325 and am upgrading from stacked
Advents to Kappa 8's. Was wondering what speaker gauge wire the group
would recommend?

It depends on the length of the wire. Have a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire#Wire_gauge

If I'm not misstaken the Infinity Kappa 8 is a 6 ohm design so a 2x1.5
mm^2 wire should probably be fine up to about 12 meters.

/August

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

"Glen Peters" wrote in message
New to the group and had a question about what to use on some vintage
equipment. I have an old Marantz 2325 and am upgrading from stacked
Advents to Kappa 8's. Was wondering what speaker gauge wire the group
would recommend? Also, would be curious to hear what you think of the
pairing of these two? TIA

**Depends on the cable length. Also, the Marantz 2325 is not a good choice
for such a loudspeaker. The primitive current limiting used in the 2325 will
probably lead to some nasty distrortion with those speakers. Many years ago,
I tested a 2325 into a pair of AR 10pi speakers. The maximum power available
was less than 30 Watts, due to the aggressive nature of the current limiting
system. And yes, I am well aware that the 2325 is rated to drive 4 Ohm
loads. Here is the impedance curve of the Kappa 9:

http://www.rageaudio.com.au/index.php?p=1_12

The Kappa 8 will not be significantly different to the Kappa 9 in the bass,
though it will be different in the bass area.

As a consequence of the HF impedance, the Kappa 9 (and the Kappa 8) is VERY
sensitive to cable impedance characteristics. For longish cable runs low
inductance cables should be used. However, as I mentioned before, you have
bigger problems than worrying about cables. The 2325 is not a good choice
for these speakers. In 1975 it was an OK amp. In 2010 it is lacking.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

The Kappa 8 will not be significantly different to the Kappa 9 in the
bass,
though it will be different in the bass area.

**Whoops. That should read:

"...The Kappa 8 will not be significantly different to the Kappa 9 in the
HF,..."

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Newbie question NDO Car Audio 2 December 12th 05 01:23 AM
newbie question BillB Car Audio 2 June 17th 05 06:25 PM
FCP newbie question mark Pro Audio 6 March 22nd 05 04:11 PM
Complete Newbie Question: 350Z audio question(s) Samuel Fang Car Audio 1 January 16th 04 07:42 PM
newbie question: what amp? Don Joe Car Audio 6 December 26th 03 04:38 AM