Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default "No Alien few fox guys be tie am dog"

Amazon is about to deliver my Kindle, so I went into the loft to bring
down my Newton (1), thinking I could use it well-made leather case for
the Kindle or, if not for the Kindle, for my Wavetek Meterman 37XR
digital multimeter, since both of them share some dimensions with the
Newton.

As one expects from pricey Apple gear, the Newton still works quite as
well as it did back in the day (1985? -- too lazy to look it up), but
since the batteries went flat, including the memory battery, in the
five years since I last used it for taking notes in concerts, it has
lost what it learned of my handwriting. Since I'm the only person
whose mother ever returned a handwritten letter with a request to
typewrite it, and whose physician has better handwriting, it is
surprising that the Newton, starting from scratch, gets it
approximately right:

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" becomes, intriguingly,
"No Alien few fox guys be tie am dog" -- which on RBT and RAT on bad
days can pass for pure genius (and in the oeuvre of Gene Daniels for
maximum comprehensibility!).

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

(1) Thanks to the faithless ingrate (to Steve'n'Steve, the WYSIWYG
Guys) who with his recent unprovoked sideswipe at the Newton reminded
me I still have one. For those of you too young to remember it, the
Newton is the granddaddy of all personal digital assistants, and in
some respects still superior to and more attractive then the current
crop. It harks back to the days of 300bps modems (I have one of those
too!) yet its technology has only now matured in Apple's iPad.

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
kolldata kolldata is offline

be tie am dog
bip bip
be tie am dog
bip bip
be tie am dog
yula wan few dot belong
betibetie am dog

jute is Jamacan
amazin'

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Kevan Smith Kevan Smith is offline

On 9/23/10 11:07 PM, kolldata wrote:
jute is Jamacan

Jute is a long, soft, shiny vegetable fiber that can be spun into
coarse, strong threads.

For the person Andre Jute, I like to say Jute to rhyme with hoo-tay.
Andre Hoo-tay!

Kevan
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Watt? Me worry? Watt? Me worry? is offline

Hi RATs!

I started with 110.5bps on a TTY 33.

It was the "console" for a PDP-8E.

Computers used to be fun. Now they just give a voice to people with
nothing good to say.

Progress?

Happy Ears!

Al

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
(1) Thanks to the faithless ingrate (to Steve'n'Steve, the WYSIWYG
Guys) who with his recent unprovoked sideswipe at the Newton reminded
me I still have one. For those of you too young to remember it, the
Newton is the granddaddy of all personal digital assistants, and in
some respects still superior to and more attractive then the current
crop. It harks back to the days of 300bps modems (I have one of those
too!) yet its technology has only now matured in Apple's iPad.

I almost found a use for mine to carry electronic versions of the
Nautical Almanac and fudge the spherical trig, but by then Clinton had
banished selective availability and the GPS market had taken off in a big
way. The biggest difficulty was programming the thing to do even the
simplest task. It took literally just a few evenings to punch Meeus's
coefficients into a HP handheld calculator, giving it a perpetual ephemeris
of navigation stars and bodies, while I was still struggling in that same
time to simply get the Apple's development tools installed and running. It
was, as I said, one of the snickiest gadgets of all time, but still looking
for relevance. I haven't given up on it altogether even today. I might still
build a shrine for it to honor Apple's perspicuity of future technology.

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Sep 29, 7:07*pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

[...]

Next year in Jerusalem. I prefer to think of the Newton as a brilliant
device the relevance of which has not yet been revealed.

I have my Newton, brought down from the loft, on my side table next to
the Kindle 3rd series 3G that arrived a couple of days ago, itself a
very impressive piece of applied technology. In principle the Kindle
is a much less capable device, even allowing for twenty years of
constant electronic and software development. Of course, the
difference is that the Kindle works, exactly because those advances
made it possible.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html