Posted to rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

Default Phono preamp in Sharp receiver - solved!

Problem solved. The ****ing BSR cartridge is ceramic. I had
forgotten such things were ever manufactured.

(I saved the cartridge before destroying the BSR tt, and just
tested it. Sigh. Perfect. For finger on needle, NG for playing
/records/ of course... Cart comes with a (5th) ground wire.)

So now I have to buy a new stylus, and figure out how to attach
the BSR cart housing to a Sony tt arm. Or not, and just use it
as a super cool retro AM/line in system.

Thanks to all who helped!

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/9/2010 10:14 PM thanatoid spake thus:

Problem solved. The ****ing BSR cartridge is ceramic. I had
forgotten such things were ever manufactured.

(I saved the cartridge before destroying the BSR tt, and just
tested it. Sigh. Perfect. For finger on needle, NG for playing
/records/ of course... Cart comes with a (5th) ground wire.)

So now I have to buy a new stylus, and figure out how to attach
the BSR cart housing to a Sony tt arm. Or not, and just use it
as a super cool retro AM/line in system.

But ... but ... why not put a magnetic cartridge in the Sony turntable,
buy a cheap phono preamp, install it inside the system (I'm sure you can
find room) and have a super cool retro phonograph?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 9/9/2010 11:15 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

On 9/9/2010 10:14 PM thanatoid spake thus:

Problem solved. The ****ing BSR cartridge is ceramic. I had
forgotten such things were ever manufactured.

(I saved the cartridge before destroying the BSR tt, and just
tested it. Sigh. Perfect. For finger on needle, NG for playing
/records/ of course... Cart comes with a (5th) ground wire.)

So now I have to buy a new stylus, and figure out how to attach
the BSR cart housing to a Sony tt arm. Or not, and just use it
as a super cool retro AM/line in system.

But ... but ... why not put a magnetic cartridge in the Sony turntable,
buy a cheap phono preamp, install it inside the system (I'm sure you can
find room) and have a super cool retro phonograph?

Sorry; just read what you wrote about being in a place where getting
such stuff that's easy for most of the rest of us is damn near
impossible. Nevermind ...

Posted to rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 9/9/2010 10:14 PM thanatoid spake thus:

Problem solved. The ****ing BSR cartridge is ceramic. I
had forgotten such things were ever manufactured.

(I saved the cartridge before destroying the BSR tt, and
just tested it. Sigh. Perfect. For finger on needle, NG
for playing /records/ of course... Cart comes with a (5th)
ground wire.)

So now I have to buy a new stylus, and figure out how to
attach the BSR cart housing to a Sony tt arm. Or not, and
just use it as a super cool retro AM/line in system.

But ... but ... why not put a magnetic cartridge in the
Sony turntable, buy a cheap phono preamp, install it inside
the system (I'm sure you can find room) and have a super
cool retro phonograph?

The Sony turntable HAS a magnetic cartridge, and I just bought
two beautiful new Chinese styli /snicker/ for it. It looks and
runs like new. I was messing around for fun and because if
someone does not want the tt with the Sony system, I could sell
it with the Sharp. (I am selling all the stuff I do not use, no
matter how cute.) As for the "cheap preamp", read the thread for
where I live and why it is not an option.

As for room inside the Sharp, yes, I could keep a couple of
hamsters in it. Those BSR changers take up a fair bit of space.

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

snip

Sorry; just read what you wrote about being in a place
where getting such stuff that's easy for most of the rest
of us is damn near impossible. Nevermind ...

Thank the good lord for being located where you are, man...

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

FS: Connoisseur Mares 2.0 Phono Preamp. $6000. Best Phono Stage? mnawaz3 Marketplace 1 March 26th 11 10:54 PM
Phono preamp in old receiver problem thanatoid Tech 0 September 9th 10 12:12 AM
MC PHONO PREAMP RealInfo Vacuum Tubes 66 March 13th 09 11:48 PM
Phono preamp Eric Delongchamp Audio Opinions 0 September 14th 03 08:52 AM
WTB: PHONO PREAMP MM/MC; MOVING COIL; PHONO PREAMP OR PRE PREAMP) MusicismyLife! Marketplace 0 July 12th 03 04:54 AM